    Al
    __
    Arold "Al" Green
    Arold \Al\ Green, Oct 27, 2004

  2. Arold \Al\ Green

    Jim A Guest

    The canon FS 4000 is excellent and can handle 4 slides at a time.

    Jim A, Oct 27, 2004

  3. Arold \Al\ Green

    gsum Guest

    Epson 3200 or 4280 flatbed.

    Handles about 16 to 20 35mm slides at a time and has masks for
    MF and LF film. The quality beats all but the best dedicated film
    scanners. See the www.photo-i.co.uk review for details.

    Graham

    gsum, Oct 27, 2004
  4. I have an Epson 3200 and must not be using it correctly. The holder
    for slides only holds 4 and the quality is terrible.
    What I want is a dedicated film scanner that will take a stack of 40
    or 50 slides.
    Al

    "gsum" <> wrote:

    >Epson 3200 or 4280 flatbed.
    >
    >Handles about 16 to 20 35mm slides at a time and has masks for
    >MF and LF film. The quality beats all but the best dedicated film
    >scanners. See the www.photo-i.co.uk review for details.
    >
    >Graham
    >
    >"Arold "Al" Green" <> wrote in message
    >> I am looking for a slide scanner that will handle multiple slides
    >> without constant monitoring. Have a lot of slides that I want to
    >> digitize.
    >> Does anyone have a recommendation?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Al
    >> __
    >> Arold "Al" Green

    __
    Arold "Al" Green
    Arold \Al\ Green, Oct 27, 2004
  5. Arold \Al\ Green

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <KqNfd.162961$>,
    "Jim A" <> wrote:

    > The canon FS 4000 is excellent and can handle 4 slides at a time.
    >

    > "Arold "Al" Green" <> wrote in message
    > >I am looking for a slide scanner that will handle multiple slides
    > > without constant monitoring. Have a lot of slides that I want to
    > > digitize.
    > > Does anyone have a recommendation?
    > > Thanks,
    > > Al
    > > __
    > > Arold "Al" Green

    The Braun 3600 scanner can do up to 100 slides in any 2x2" mount, in any
    order, fully automatically.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, Oct 27, 2004
  6. "Arold \"Al\" Green" <> writes:

    > I am looking for a slide scanner that will handle multiple slides
    > without constant monitoring. Have a lot of slides that I want to
    > digitize.
    > Does anyone have a recommendation?

    Nikon has stack feeders for some of their models -- I know the ls-2000
    and the ls-5000 had them. I've heard of a fair amount of trouble with
    the ls-2000 slide feeder, have not heard much about trouble with the
    ls-5000 unit, and have never used either slide feeder myself.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Oct 27, 2004
  7. Arold \Al\ Green

    ECM Guest

    "Arold \"Al\" Green" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I have an Epson 3200 and must not be using it correctly. The holder
    > for slides only holds 4 and the quality is terrible.
    > What I want is a dedicated film scanner that will take a stack of 40
    > or 50 slides.
    > Al
    >
    > "gsum" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Epson 3200 or 4280 flatbed.
    > >
    > >Handles about 16 to 20 35mm slides at a time and has masks for
    > >MF and LF film. The quality beats all but the best dedicated film
    > >scanners. See the www.photo-i.co.uk review for details.
    > >
    > >Graham
    > >
    > >"Arold "Al" Green" <> wrote in message
    > >> I am looking for a slide scanner that will handle multiple slides
    > >> without constant monitoring. Have a lot of slides that I want to
    > >> digitize.
    > >> Does anyone have a recommendation?
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Al
    > >> __
    > >> Arold "Al" Green

    > __
    > Arold "Al" Green

    Are your slides in the frames? that will adversly affect the quality,
    because they're held a little bit above the glass (which is the actual
    focal point for the scanner sensors). I occasionally scan slides, and
    I pry off the frame to scan them - makes a world of difference on my
    (admittedly old) Acer scanner. Also a proper light box is essential.

    If you have rolls or strips of slide film or negatives, I've heard
    that the Pacific Image PrimeFilm 3650 Pro can scan strips and rolls.
    Image quality according to the few reviews is not as good as the
    Minoltas or Nikons but you get what you pay for. It includes Digital
    Ice, an essential dust and scratch removal utility - the Nikon V,
    Minolta Scan Elite 5400 and the Benq ScanWit 2740S all also come with
    Digital Ice and generally run in the sub-$600 range also.

    Good Luck!
    ECM
    ECM, Oct 27, 2004
  8. <<<<<I've heard of a fair amount of trouble with the ls-2000 slide feeder,
    have not heard much about trouble with the ls-5000 unit, and have never used
    either slide feeder myself.

    I had an LS-2000 and now have an LS-5000. The quality of scans from the
    LS-5000 is terrific. I bought the old slide feeder (SF-200) for the
    LS-2000, and this is the unit that has complaints. The complaint is that
    it doesn't automatically adjust for skinny slides (such as cardboard mounts)
    so two of them start getting inserted at the same time, and the unit jams.
    The fix that everyone recommends (and which works perfectly well for me) is
    to use double-stick tape to hold a piece of hard plastic, like an old credit
    card, along the surface leading to where the gap is too big, in order to
    create a gap that is perfectly sized for the width of slides being scanned.
    Apparently the NEW feeder has an adjustable gap-modulator, or whatever you
    want to call it, but my older model works perfectly well with this simple
    but unusual fix.

    In any case, this feeder does about 40 or 50 slides at a time--and again,
    the scans are superb.
    Douglas W. Hoyt, Oct 27, 2004
  9. "Douglas W. Hoyt" <> wrote:

    ><<<<<I've heard of a fair amount of trouble with the ls-2000 slide feeder,
    >have not heard much about trouble with the ls-5000 unit, and have never used
    >either slide feeder myself.
    >
    >I had an LS-2000 and now have an LS-5000. The quality of scans from the
    >LS-5000 is terrific. I bought the old slide feeder (SF-200) for the
    >LS-2000, and this is the unit that has complaints. The complaint is that
    >it doesn't automatically adjust for skinny slides (such as cardboard mounts)
    >so two of them start getting inserted at the same time, and the unit jams.
    >The fix that everyone recommends (and which works perfectly well for me) is
    >to use double-stick tape to hold a piece of hard plastic, like an old credit
    >card, along the surface leading to where the gap is too big, in order to
    >create a gap that is perfectly sized for the width of slides being scanned.
    >Apparently the NEW feeder has an adjustable gap-modulator, or whatever you
    >want to call it, but my older model works perfectly well with this simple
    >but unusual fix.
    >
    >In any case, this feeder does about 40 or 50 slides at a time--and again,
    >the scans are superb.

    Thanks, this is just the information that I was looking for.
    Al
    __
    Arold "Al" Green
    Arold \Al\ Green, Oct 28, 2004
  10. On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:59:12 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:

    >"Arold \"Al\" Green" <> writes:
    >
    >> I am looking for a slide scanner that will handle multiple slides
    >> without constant monitoring. Have a lot of slides that I want to
    >> digitize.
    >> Does anyone have a recommendation?

    >Nikon has stack feeders for some of their models -- I know the ls-2000
    >and the ls-5000 had them. I've heard of a fair amount of trouble with
    >the ls-2000 slide feeder, have not heard much about trouble with the
    >ls-5000 unit, and have never used either slide feeder myself.

    Just to mention it: I've been copying slides by projecting them the
    length of my dinner table onto a smooth screen and photographing with
    my 3.2 Mp digital camera. Instant "scanning" -- very fast and I've been
    delighted with the results. Preserving slides in the computer for
    viewing on screen. The 8 x 10 prints I've made have also been good.
    Amazing in fact. And the theory is sound :)

    Mason C
    Mason A. Clark, Oct 28, 2004
  11. Arold \Al\ Green

    gsum Guest

    You're right about the slide holder only holding 4 mounted
    slides - my mistake. I mainly use unmounted film. However
    you don't really need a holder for mounted slides as the
    software will detect thumbnails from any number of slides
    placed directly on the glass surface. The slide mounts hold the
    film away from the glass, avoiding Newton's rings.

    I'm surprised at what you say about quality. I find the
    3200's resolution incredible. The only criticism is that
    it has difficulty in resolving colour in deep shadow.
    I avoid using Silverfast - just use the Epson driver. For very
    contrasty slides I do two scans, one over exposed, the other
    under exposed and overlay on Photoshop. This extends
    the dynamic range of the scanner and largely removes the
    shadow problem but is time consuming.

    Graham

    gsum, Oct 28, 2004
  12. Arold \Al\ Green

    Tim Guest

    I've got a Canon FS2710 and it's brilliant - does APS film too.

    There's one on ebay uk
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44976&item=3848279392&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

    Canon FS4000 is better + more expensive
    One on ebay uk too
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44976&item=5133872674&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

    Tim, Oct 28, 2004
  13. Arold \Al\ Green

    Alan Browne Guest

    Arold "Al" Green wrote:

    > I am looking for a slide scanner that will handle multiple slides
    > without constant monitoring. Have a lot of slides that I want to
    > digitize.
    > Does anyone have a recommendation?
    > Thanks,
    > Al
    > __
    > Arold "Al" Green

    Minolta DSE 5400 (4 slides per load) 5400 dpi
    Nikon LS4000/5000 (4 slides per load, or feeder for bulk) 4000 dpi
    Canon FS4000US (4 slides per load) 4000 dpi

    For a really large scan job, the Nikon with the bulk feeder is the way to go.

    Alan Browne, Oct 28, 2004