    positive or negative experiences with the latest scanners from Nikon and
    Minolta. Have a few hundred slides and would like to get them onto DVD
    and then retire my old slide projector.

    Ralph K. Compton, Apr 5, 2004

  2. Ralph K. Compton

    zbzbzb Guest

    >Looking to get a 35mm slide scanner and would like to know about any
    >positive or negative experiences with the latest scanners from Nikon and
    >Minolta. Have a few hundred slides and would like to get them onto DVD
    >and then retire my old slide projector.

    Buy a used scanner like a Nikon LS-30 (not the latest model of course but more
    than good enough) and then sell it afterwards.

    zbzbzb, Apr 5, 2004

  3. That's sort of what I had in mind, with the addition that I have a buddy
    that also wants to do this so the overall cost to me would be half.

    I am impressed with the ICE technology and feel it would be worthwhile as
    many of my slides are, well, in less than perfect condition.

    Ralph K. Compton, Apr 5, 2004
  4. Ralph K. Compton

    zbzbzb Guest

    > I am impressed with the ICE technology and feel it would be worthwhile as
    >many of my slides are, well, in less than perfect condition.

    Absolutely necessary. Touching up manually is not pratical for large numbers or
    very ditry film. Go easy by using the lowest setting though as it will
    slightly soften the image. Canon's version when used with Vuescan doesn't
    appear to harm the image at all. I think the inexpensive LS-30 would be best
    overall.

    zbzbzb, Apr 5, 2004
  5. Thanks, appreciate the information

    Ralph K. Compton, Apr 5, 2004
  6. Ralph K. Compton

    zbzbzb Guest

    >The Braun 3600 can do up to 100 slides automatically.

    No ICE though, right?

    zbzbzb, Apr 5, 2004
  7. Ralph K. Compton

    Bob Salomon Guest

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Apr 5, 2004
  8. Ralph K. Compton

    zbzbzb Guest

    >> >The Braun 3600 can do up to 100 slides automatically.
    >>
    >> No ICE though, right?

    >Nope,
    >
    >But fully automatic operation unattended for up to any mix of
    >glass/glassless/plastic or paper mounts instead.

    You would lose much more time than you saved trying to touch up every frame of
    film.

    zbzbzb, Apr 5, 2004
  9. Ralph K. Compton

    Bob Salomon Guest

    Bob Salomon, Apr 5, 2004
  10. In article <gA3cc.16044$>,
    says...
    > Looking to get a 35mm slide scanner and would like to know about any
    > positive or negative experiences with the latest scanners from Nikon and
    > Minolta. Have a few hundred slides and would like to get them onto DVD
    > and then retire my old slide projector.

    What are you planning to do with the scanned images? View them on
    a TV or computer screen?
    If so, then you won't really need much more than 800x1000 pixels.
    Not much of a stretch for any current scanner.

    --
    Robert D Feinman
    http://robertdfeinman.com

    Robert Feinman, Apr 5, 2004
  11. Ralph K. Compton

    JMooreTS Guest

    >Looking to get a 35mm slide scanner and would like to know about any
    >positive or negative experiences with the latest scanners from Nikon and
    >Minolta.

    I have a factory refurbished Minolta Scan Elite II bought on Ebay for about
    $375 (6 month warranty). It has Digital ICE. It's been a pleasure to work
    with. I actually like its scanning software better than Vuescan.

    John Moore

    JMooreTS, Apr 6, 2004