    Cheer for the feedback
    john
    @myplace.co.nz

    John, Feb 14, 2004

  2. John

    CollectorNZ Guest

    John wrote:

    >Enjoying your hot summer?
    >year rite...
    >Has anyone scanned slides before?
    >Did you use a specilised slide scanner or some add on for a desktop
    >scanner?
    >I have my dads boxes of slides I wish to archive to CD
    >Cheer for the feedback
    >john
    >@myplace.co.nz

    While the add on box for a standard sheet scanner works, the results are
    not that great since they do not have suitable resolution levels to
    allow you to blow up the resultantant image without losing clarity. The
    results will be screen acceptable and only marginally print acceptable.

    I have used both being lucky enough to have an associate who has a slide
    and negative scanner. The result using the negative scanner set to slide
    mode was miles better than the sheet scanner with adapter.

    CollectorNZ, Feb 14, 2004

  3. John

    Dave Taylor Guest

    CollectorNZ <> wrote in news:402ebb43
    @news.orcon.net.nz:

    > The result using the negative scanner set to slide
    > mode was miles better than the sheet scanner with adapter.

    Like CollectorNZ says, you should look into renting a motorized slide
    scanner if you want a quality end result.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Feb 15, 2004
  4. John

    L33T Guest

    John wrote:
    > Enjoying your hot summer?
    > year rite...
    > Has anyone scanned slides before?
    > Did you use a specilised slide scanner or some add on for a desktop
    > scanner?
    > I have my dads boxes of slides I wish to archive to CD

    where do you live ? fastfinish photo , 38 wyndham st akl,
    www.fastfinish.co.nz have a great scanner system.

    they'll scan, put 3 versions of each slide onto cd - thumbnail, web size, hi
    res - as well as auto colour correct, etc.

    the old slides i've seen done have come out amazing. and worth the $$ if you
    consider how long it would take you to do this to each individual slide. how
    much is your time worth ?

    L33T, Feb 15, 2004
  5. John

    steve Guest

    CollectorNZ wrote:

    > I have used both being lucky enough to have an associate who has a slide
    > and negative scanner. The result using the negative scanner set to slide
    > mode was miles better than the sheet scanner with adapter.

    Thanks....that sorts me out, too.

    steve, Feb 15, 2004
  6. John

    Malcolm Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 08:56:47 +1300, John <> wrote:

    >Enjoying your hot summer?
    >year rite...
    >Has anyone scanned slides before?
    >Did you use a specilised slide scanner or some add on for a desktop
    >scanner?
    >I have my dads boxes of slides I wish to archive to CD
    >Cheer for the feedback
    >john
    >@myplace.co.nz

    Hi John,

    I purchased an Epson FilmScan 200 some years ago and whilst the
    sofware is a bit basic, I have had good results with the scanner. I
    had about 3000 slides to scan and if I had had them scanned
    professionally it would have cost more than the scanner. Being (the
    scanner) quite a few years old it uses a SCSI interface whereas the
    latest Epson slide/film scanners use USB, and no doubt have better
    software.

    It will scan slides (mounted), slide film (umounted in strip form) and
    colour negative film (again in strip form. It also has the ability to
    mount some sort of bulk roll film magazine for 100 exposure or more
    rolls but I have never seen or had a need for one. I purhased 2 extra
    slide carriers so I could be loading up another whilst one is being
    scanned. It came with 1 strip film and 1 slide carrier.

    You will be doing well if you can avrage 3 slides a minute.

    Malcolm
    Wellington NZ

    Remove the dot's to reply

    Malcolm, Feb 15, 2004