    scans? What is "16 bit linear"?

    Many thanks for any info.

    Paul J Ruiz
    Paul J Ruiz, Sep 10, 2003

  2. look at shareware program viewscan. This will do what you want to control scanner.
    16 bits is good for making extensive color adjustments without posterizing the
    image. You convert to 8 bit before printing. You'll need to get a better editing
    program.
    I have some tips on my web site about optimizing images in both the scanning and
    printing stages.
    Look under the tips section on my home page.

    --
    Robert D Feinman

    Landscapes, Cityscapes, Panoramic Photographs: http://robertdfeinman.com
    Robert Feinman, Sep 10, 2003

  3. Paul J Ruiz

    Jon Bell Guest

    In article <bjn6gf$532$>,
    Paul J Ruiz <> wrote:

    > [...] What program will handle 16 bit scans?

    Photoshop Elements's predecessor, Photoshop 5.0 LE, can handle them.
    Maybe you can dig up a copy somewhere. Of course the full Photoshop will
    also work.

    --
    Jon Bell <> Presbyterian College
    Jon Bell, Sep 10, 2003
  4. Paul J Ruiz <> writes:

    > I just bought a Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual III. It will scan at 8, 16 or
    > 16 bit linear. It was packaged with Adobe Elements, which will not
    > handle 16 bit scans. Surprise, Surprise! Of course, I would like to
    > scan at 16 bit and edit before printing. What program will handle 16
    > bit scans? What is "16 bit linear"?

    Picture Window Pro (www.dl-c.com) will do everything in 16 bit. It
    also has the best brightness curve tools, and the best color
    correction tools, of any program I've used.

    And of course full Photoshop will do a few things in 16 bit, too.

    Don't know precisely what they mean by 16-bit linear; probably no
    gamma?
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 10, 2003