    having slide and sensor parallel.

    Suggestions appreciated.

    --David

    J David Ellis, Nov 5, 2006

  2. J David Ellis

    tomm42 Guest

    On Nov 5, 6:39 pm, J David Ellis <> wrote:
    > Anybody know if there is such a product available?
    >
    > I want to use that lens attached to an EOS-10D for copying
    > dozens of slides. The 10D's small sensor requires about ten
    > inches between lens and slide. Makeshift setups are hard to
    > use because I can't maintain consistent alignment, such as
    > having slide and sensor parallel.
    >
    > Suggestions appreciated.
    >
    > --David

    One of the best ways to do this is with a slide duplicator, not a lens
    attachment. This is a fixed system, a copy stand is the other
    alternative. The 180mm is not the best choice for this, a 60mm, 90mm or
    100mm are better not requiring so much distance. If you want something
    that attaches to the lens it would be rather unweildy at 10 inches in
    length.
    I use a Kaiser copy stand and a Bessler slide duplicator, both work
    well. Generally use a 50mm macro with the copy stand (or my Nikon 995)
    and a Nikon D200 on the Bessler with an 80mm slide duplicating lens.
    Both methods work fine, with the copy stand you need a light source, a
    lightbox works well, just use black paper to mask around the slide. If
    you are going to do a lot of this the Kaiser copystand is a good
    investment, relatively small and sturdy. The best solution is a slide
    duplicating system, generally you can find them on Ebay for reasonable
    $.

    Tom

    tomm42, Nov 6, 2006

  3. tomm42 wrote:

    > On Nov 5, 6:39 pm, J David Ellis <> wrote:
    >> Anybody know if there is such a product available?
    >>
    >> I want to use that lens attached to an EOS-10D for copying
    >> dozens of slides. The 10D's small sensor requires about ten
    >> inches between lens and slide. Makeshift setups are hard to
    >> use because I can't maintain consistent alignment, such as
    >> having slide and sensor parallel.
    >>
    >> Suggestions appreciated.
    >>
    >> --David

    > One of the best ways to do this is with a slide duplicator, not a lens
    > attachment. This is a fixed system, a copy stand is the other
    > alternative. The 180mm is not the best choice for this, a 60mm, 90mm or
    > 100mm are better not requiring so much distance. If you want something
    > that attaches to the lens it would be rather unweildy at 10 inches in
    > length.
    > I use a Kaiser copy stand and a Bessler slide duplicator, both work
    > well. Generally use a 50mm macro with the copy stand (or my Nikon 995)
    > and a Nikon D200 on the Bessler with an 80mm slide duplicating lens.
    > Both methods work fine, with the copy stand you need a light source, a
    > lightbox works well, just use black paper to mask around the slide. If
    > you are going to do a lot of this the Kaiser copystand is a good
    > investment, relatively small and sturdy. The best solution is a slide
    > duplicating system, generally you can find them on Ebay for reasonable
    > $.
    >
    > Tom

    Thank you, Tom, for the thoughtful reply. A big help.
    Please consider this thread closed.
    --David

    J David Ellis, Nov 8, 2006