    him Guest

    i want to copy 35m. slides to my p/c.
    can this be done

    him, Nov 11, 2006

  2. him

    Bob Salomon Guest

    Bob Salomon, Nov 11, 2006

  3. him

    Cgiorgio Guest

    >i want to copy 35m. slides to my p/c.
    > can this be done

    The best option are dedicated film and slide scanners (flatbed scanners with
    backlight usually give poor results). Resolution should be greater than 2400
    dpi, older models usually had SCSI interface, check that it comes with the
    interface card and driver software if you get a used one. You can also
    digitize color and B/N negative film with these. Enough used machines should
    be available, as photographers fully converted to digital run out of film
    worth scanning after a while.

    Cgiorgio, Nov 11, 2006
  4. him

    Pete D Guest

    "Cgiorgio" <> wrote in message

    >>i want to copy 35m. slides to my p/c.
    >> can this be done
    >>

    > The best option are dedicated film and slide scanners (flatbed scanners
    > with backlight usually give poor results). Resolution should be greater
    > than 2400 dpi, older models usually had SCSI interface, check that it
    > comes with the interface card and driver software if you get a used one.
    > You can also digitize color and B/N negative film with these. Enough used
    > machines should be available, as photographers fully converted to digital
    > run out of film worth scanning after a while.

    Depending what you want to do with the shots you may find one of the
    modestly priced flatbed scanners suitable. I have a Canon 8400F anf it's
    scans at 2400/3200dpi are pretty good for home use and probably good enough
    to print up to A4 size without much effort.

    Here is a couple of slides that I took 25 years ago and scanned on my Canon
    8400F, with a bit of adjusting they can be much better.

    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=167554885&size=o

    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=162924260&size=o

    Pete D, Nov 11, 2006
  5. <> wrote:

    > i want to copy 35m. slides to my p/c.
    > can this be done

    Yes. Nikon, Minolta and others make excellent 35 mm dedicated film
    scanners for roughly $300 - $1,100 which would do a much better job than
    a flatbed:

    Dimage Scan Dual IV (which is what I use)

    Nikon Coolscan V ED

    Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED

    Also, some flat bed scanners have holders which take slides but don't do
    nearly as good a job but are much cheaper:

    Epson 3200 Perfection Photo Flatbed Scanner

    There are also services that will do it for you:

    http://www.google.com/search?q="Slide Scanning Service"&ie=utf-8&oe=u
    tf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

    --
    Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
    http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

    Stephen Henning, Nov 12, 2006
  6. him

    Al Monte Guest

    "him" <> wrote in message
    >i want to copy 35m. slides to my p/c.
    > can this be done

    yes

    Al Monte, Nov 12, 2006
  7. him

    Pete D Guest

    "Al Monte" <> wrote in message

    > "him" <> wrote in message
    >>i want to copy 35m. slides to my p/c.
    >> can this be done
    >>

    > yes

    About what we would expect from Rich, great answer mate! You will also
    attain legendary status very soon with answers like that!

    Pete D, Nov 12, 2006
  8. him wrote:
    > i want to copy 35m. slides to my p/c.
    > can this be done

    Buy a slide and film scanner. Nikon, Minolta are the popular makes.

    They are so popular on Ebay that prices are rising exponentially. Many
    guys/gals who have got the message are using their old film cameras and
    lenses, and digitising the negatives to produce superb prints on their
    inkjets. Why buy a DSLR?

    Dennis Pogson, Nov 12, 2006
  9. him

    Pete D Guest

    "Dennis Pogson" <> wrote in message
    > him wrote:
    >> i want to copy 35m. slides to my p/c.
    >> can this be done

    > Buy a slide and film scanner. Nikon, Minolta are the popular makes.
    >
    > They are so popular on Ebay that prices are rising exponentially. Many
    > guys/gals who have got the message are using their old film cameras and
    > lenses, and digitising the negatives to produce superb prints on their
    > inkjets. Why buy a DSLR?

    Bit of a silly question really, cos it is much easier! LOL!

    Pete D, Nov 12, 2006
  10. him

    AAvK Guest

    > Yes. Nikon, Minolta and others make excellent 35 mm dedicated film
    > scanners for roughly $300 - $1,100 which would do a much better job than
    > a flatbed:

    Actually, Minolta quit the camera and scanner business recently, altogether.
    Alex

    AAvK, Nov 12, 2006
  11. him

    Neil Pugh Guest

    Neil Pugh, Nov 12, 2006
  12. "AAvK" <> wrote:

    > > Yes. Nikon, Minolta and others make excellent 35 mm dedicated film
    > > scanners for roughly $300 - $1,100 which would do a much better job than
    > > a flatbed:
    > >

    > Actually, Minolta quit the camera and scanner business recently, altogether.
    > Alex

    Actually, you can still buy them. I bought one and they are still
    available. They even still have discounts. They are also available
    used.

    Stephen Henning, Nov 12, 2006
  13. "Pete D" <> wrote:

    > "Dennis Pogson" <> wrote in message
    > > him wrote:
    > >> i want to copy 35m. slides to my p/c.
    > >> can this be done

    > > Buy a slide and film scanner. Nikon, Minolta are the popular makes.
    > >
    > > They are so popular on Ebay that prices are rising exponentially. Many
    > > guys/gals who have got the message are using their old film cameras and
    > > lenses, and digitising the negatives to produce superb prints on their
    > > inkjets. Why buy a DSLR?

    > Bit of a silly question really, cos it is much easier! LOL!

    Kind of a silly answer. A DSLR is much more complicated than a film
    camera. They both hold lenses and can autofocus or manual focus. The
    difference is a film camera just has a meter and a shutter. The DSLR
    has many, many settings that were never imagined in film cameras such as
    changeable ASA, noise filtering, resolution control, etc. The only real
    advantage of a DSLR is that you can store hundreds of frames on a memory
    card and never need to buy any more memory cards and never need film.

    Stephen Henning, Nov 12, 2006
  14. him

    Pete D Guest

    "Stephen Henning" <> wrote in message
    > "Pete D" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Dennis Pogson" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Buy a slide and film scanner. Nikon, Minolta are the popular makes.
    >> >
    >> > They are so popular on Ebay that prices are rising exponentially. Many
    >> > guys/gals who have got the message are using their old film cameras and
    >> > lenses, and digitising the negatives to produce superb prints on their
    >> > inkjets. Why buy a DSLR?

    >> Bit of a silly question really, cos it is much easier! LOL!

    > Kind of a silly answer. A DSLR is much more complicated than a film
    > camera. They both hold lenses and can autofocus or manual focus. The
    > difference is a film camera just has a meter and a shutter. The DSLR
    > has many, many settings that were never imagined in film cameras such as
    > changeable ASA, noise filtering, resolution control, etc. The only real
    > advantage of a DSLR is that you can store hundreds of frames on a memory
    > card and never need to buy any more memory cards and never need film.
    >
    > --
    > Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
    > Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

    Actually if you have a look at what I said, I said "cos it is much easier"
    not simpler as you have quoted. How can it be easier to have extra steps in
    the process? How hard is it to take the shot and then simply pop the memory
    card in your PC? How many people actually use their camera on any setting
    other than on auto?

    How do you take one or two shots on your film camera then make a print or
    scan to you PC without wasting a heap of film?

    Simpler? Not in a million years.

    Pete D, Nov 12, 2006
  15. him

    Bryan Olson Guest

    Stephen Henning wrote:
    > "Pete D" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Dennis Pogson" wrote:
    >>> They are so popular on Ebay that prices are rising exponentially. Many
    >>> guys/gals who have got the message are using their old film cameras and
    >>> lenses, and digitising the negatives to produce superb prints on their
    >>> inkjets. Why buy a DSLR?

    >> Bit of a silly question really, cos it is much easier! LOL!

    > Kind of a silly answer.

    No, he nailed it. I find the digital work-flow easier than film
    even without considering the scanning step. And scanning's a drag.

    > A DSLR is much more complicated than a film
    > camera. They both hold lenses and can autofocus or manual focus. The
    > difference is a film camera just has a meter and a shutter. The DSLR
    > has many, many settings that were never imagined in film cameras such as
    > changeable ASA, noise filtering, resolution control, etc.

    Check how many settings your scanner has.

    > The only real
    > advantage of a DSLR is that you can store hundreds of frames on a memory
    > card and never need to buy any more memory cards and never need film.

    There's more to digital photography than the absence of film.

    --
    --Bryan

    Bryan Olson, Nov 12, 2006
  16. "Pete D" <> wrote:

    > "Stephen Henning" <> wrote:
    > > "Pete D" <> wrote:

    > >> Bit of a silly question really, cos it is much easier! LOL!

    > > Kind of a silly answer. A DSLR is much more complicated than a film
    > > camera. They both hold lenses and can autofocus or manual focus. The
    > > difference is a film camera just has a meter and a shutter. The DSLR
    > > has many, many settings that were never imagined in film cameras such as
    > > changeable ASA, noise filtering, resolution control, etc. The only real
    > > advantage of a DSLR is that you can store hundreds of frames on a memory
    > > card and never need to buy any more memory cards and never need film.

    > Actually if you have a look at what I said, I said "cos it is much easier"
    > not simpler as you have quoted.

    Where did I quote "simpler"? You are seeing things. Sort of a silly
    thing to do.

    > How hard is it to take the shot and then simply pop the memory
    > card in your PC? How many people actually use their camera on any setting
    > other than on auto?

    That is why you buy a DSLR or SLR??? Wierd!!!! Sounds like you need a
    'snap & shoot'.

    > How do you take one or two shots on your film camera then make a print or
    > scan to you PC without wasting a heap of film?

    With a Polaroid Film Camera. They made SLRs. But since you like easy,
    it is easy to shoot a roll of film or waste a roll of film. Nobody said
    that easy was economical.

    Stephen Henning, Nov 13, 2006
  17. him

    AAvK Guest

    > Do it yourself version here:
    >
    > http://users.iafrica.com/m/mc/mcollett/brsd/index.htm
    >
    > Regards
    > --
    > Neil Pugh

    I have tried something close, I have a loupe from which I can remove the lens,
    put the camera on it on the light box, up about 2-1/2 inches, stupid Nikon 950
    cannot focus to it in macro mode! Needs further experimentation, maybe with
    manual focusing.

    --
    }<)))*> Giant_Alex
    cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

    AAvK, Nov 14, 2006
  18. him

    > "Pete D" <> wrote:

    >> > Kind of a silly answer. A DSLR is much more complicated than a film
    >> > camera. They both hold lenses and can autofocus or manual focus. The
    >> > difference is a film camera just has a meter and a shutter. The DSLR
    >> > has many, many settings that were never imagined in film cameras such
    >> > as
    >> > changeable ASA, noise filtering, resolution control, etc. The only
    >> > real
    >> > advantage of a DSLR is that you can store hundreds of frames on a
    >> > memory
    >> > card and never need to buy any more memory cards and never need film.

    >> Actually if you have a look at what I said, I said "cos it is much
    >> easier"
    >> not simpler as you have quoted.

    > Where did I quote "simpler"? You are seeing things. Sort of a silly
    > thing to do.
    >
    >> How hard is it to take the shot and then simply pop the memory
    >> card in your PC? How many people actually use their camera on any setting
    >> other than on auto?

    > That is why you buy a DSLR or SLR??? Wierd!!!! Sounds like you need a
    > 'snap & shoot'.
    >
    >> How do you take one or two shots on your film camera then make a print or
    >> scan to you PC without wasting a heap of film?

    > With a Polaroid Film Camera. They made SLRs. But since you like easy,
    > it is easy to shoot a roll of film or waste a roll of film. Nobody said
    > that easy was economical.
    >
    > --
    > Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
    > Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

    LOL, this is an April fools post isn't it?

    Pete D, Nov 14, 2006
  19. him

    Bob Williams Guest

    AAvK wrote:

    >> Do it yourself version here:
    >>
    >> http://users.iafrica.com/m/mc/mcollett/brsd/index.htm
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> --
    >> Neil Pugh

    > I have tried something close, I have a loupe from which I can remove the
    > lens,
    > put the camera on it on the light box, up about 2-1/2 inches, stupid
    > Nikon 950 cannot focus to it in macro mode! Needs further
    > experimentation, maybe with manual focusing.

    The Nikon 950 can focus down to 0.8 inches.
    Macro Capability was the forté of the Nikon Coolpix 9xx series.
    Perhaps you shoud RTFM again.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Nov 14, 2006
  20. AAvK wrote:
    >> Do it yourself version here:
    >>
    >> http://users.iafrica.com/m/mc/mcollett/brsd/index.htm
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> --
    >> Neil Pugh

    > I have tried something close, I have a loupe from which I can remove
    > the lens, put the camera on it on the light box, up about 2-1/2
    > inches, stupid Nikon 950 cannot focus to it in macro mode! Needs
    > further experimentation, maybe with manual focusing.

    Be sure that the zoom on the Nikon 950 is in the allowed range for macro
    focus to work - I thing the flower symbol changes colour in the allowed
    part of the zoom range - usually the middle part.

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 14, 2006