    Scot Gardner Guest

    For those who forgot to pre-order their copy of _Sleeping Beauty_, the
    Walmart price looks like a pretty good deal.

    Scot Gardner, Sep 9, 2003

  2. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    news:20030909113229.522$...
    > For those who forgot to pre-order their copy of _Sleeping Beauty_, the
    > Walmart price looks like a pretty good deal.

    My mistake. The price was actually $14.77.

    Scot Gardner, Sep 10, 2003

  3. "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    > "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    > > For those who forgot to pre-order their copy of _Sleeping Beauty_, the
    > > Walmart price looks like a pretty good deal.

    > My mistake. The price was actually $14.77.

    The Wal-Marts in my area are all at $19.62. :-((

    Wal-Mart online is at $17.98. :-((

    Maybe you came across an in-store special???

    --
    callsignviper

    The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
    the right questions.

    callsignviper, Sep 10, 2003
  4. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    > "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    > > For those who forgot to pre-order their copy of _Sleeping Beauty_,
    > > the Walmart price looks like a pretty good deal.

    > My mistake. The price was actually $14.77.

    <<The Wal-Marts in my area are all at $19.62. :-((>>

    <<Wal-Mart online is at $17.98. :-((>>

    <<Maybe you came across an in-store special???>>

    I mistakenly thought that all Wal-Marts had the same prices for DVDs.

    The Wal-Mart that I am talking about is located in the San Francisco Bay
    Area -- with a Costco right across the street. Maybe that's the reason.

    This store has been selling a lot of new releases, such as _The Two
    Towers_ for under $15. They seem to do this for only a couple of days
    after the DVDs are released.

    Scot Gardner, Sep 10, 2003
  5. "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    > "callsignviper" <> wrote in message
    > "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    > > "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    > > > For those who forgot to pre-order their copy of _Sleeping Beauty_,
    > > > the Walmart price looks like a pretty good deal.

    > > My mistake. The price was actually $14.77.

    > <<The Wal-Marts in my area are all at $19.62. :-((>>
    >
    > <<Wal-Mart online is at $17.98. :-((>>
    >
    > <<Maybe you came across an in-store special???>>
    >

    > I mistakenly thought that all Wal-Marts had the same prices for DVDs.
    >
    > The Wal-Mart that I am talking about is located in the San Francisco Bay
    > Area -- with a Costco right across the street. Maybe that's the reason.
    >
    > This store has been selling a lot of new releases, such as _The Two
    > Towers_ for under $15. They seem to do this for only a couple of days
    > after the DVDs are released.

    Ah so......I see.

    Thanks for the clarification.

    Note: There are at least 6 Wal-Mart stores in my city and the prices on many
    items vary from store to store. The variance is anywhere from a few cents to
    several dollars. One would think all the Wal-Marts in the same city would be
    at the same price for their merchandise.....but that isn't the case here.

    callsignviper, Sep 10, 2003
  6. Scot Gardner

    Mike Jackson Guest

    > Note: There are at least 6 Wal-Mart stores in my city and the prices on
    many
    > items vary from store to store. The variance is anywhere from a few cents

    > several dollars. One would think all the Wal-Marts in the same city would

    be
    > at the same price for their merchandise.....but that isn't the case here.

    There's two stores in my area, and I asked one of them about that. They said
    that they compete with each other. They'll price match against each other
    too; just have the register jockey give the other store a call and check the
    price and availability.

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Webmaster, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com

    Mike Jackson, Sep 10, 2003
  7. Scot Gardner

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <dDA7b.407191$o%2.185000@sccrnsc02> in alt.video.dvd,
    callsignviper <> wrote:
    >Note: There are at least 6 Wal-Mart stores in my city and the prices on many
    >items vary from store to store. The variance is anywhere from a few cents to
    >several dollars. One would think all the Wal-Marts in the same city would be
    >at the same price for their merchandise.....but that isn't the case here.

    I read somewhere that they consciously target prices to compete with
    nearby stores. That would explain why prices would vary even within
    one metropolitan area: different Wal-marts are competing (in their
    business plan) with different sets of stores.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com

    Stan Brown, Sep 10, 2003
  8. Scot Gardner

    Zimmy Guest

    You live by what we call a "magic" WalMart.
    The chance that 90% of the real WalMarts have that price are slim to none.

    Zimmy, Sep 10, 2003
  9. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Zimmy" <> wrote in message
    > "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    > > For those who forgot to pre-order their copy of _Sleeping Beauty_,
    > > the Walmart price looks like a pretty good deal.

    <<You live by what we call a "magic" WalMart. The chance that 90% of the
    real WalMarts have that price are slim to none.>>

    Yes, I must agree that this store is indeed a "magic" Wal-Mart. On
    Tuesday, I called the store at 9AM (because that is the time that they
    used to open the doors) and within 2 minutes I knew that they had at
    least 50 copies of _Sleeping Beauty_ on sale for $14.77. (I made the
    mistake of posting the price as $14.88.)

    This has been an education for me, since I very rarely go to Wal-Mart
    and this particular store is the only one that I frequent. I thought I
    was doing the newsgroup a service by posting what could possibly be the
    lowest price for _Sleeping Beauty_. This Wal-Mart also has the $5.88 DVD
    bargain bin -- which I have also discovered is not present in all
    Wal-Mart stores.

    My local Wal-Mart is definitely not the place to shop for all DVDs,
    since the selection is very limited. However, this store continually
    prices the major new DVD releases under $15. The other main attraction
    to this Wal-Mart is that it is now open from 7AM to 11PM. Costco doesn't
    open until 10AM for business members and 11AM for non-business members.

    This "magic" Wal-Mart is almost too good to be true.

    Scot Gardner, Sep 11, 2003
  10. Scot Gardner

    Davy Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 07:09:02 -0700, "Scot Gardner"
    <> wrote:

    >"Zimmy" <> wrote in message
    >> "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    >> > For those who forgot to pre-order their copy of _Sleeping Beauty_,
    >> > the Walmart price looks like a pretty good deal.

    ><<You live by what we call a "magic" WalMart. The chance that 90% of the
    >real WalMarts have that price are slim to none.>>

    A "magic" Walmart is one which has not yet driven all the "mom & pop"
    store competition in the area out of business and has especially good
    prices in order to do that. Once this happens (over a number of years)
    and only chain stores like Best Buy and Circuit City remain, then
    suddenly the "magic" will end and your Walmart will become like my
    Walmart where Sleeping Beauty is $19.97 on release week but you could
    price match to Best Buy for $17.99. The only time my non-magic Walmart
    has a new release DVD for under $15 (i.e. $14.88) is when a competitor
    has a current ad specifically listing that price in the ad. With Best
    Buy and Circuit City purposefully using "low price" or "hot price"
    instead of listing actual prices, that means Walmart does not have to
    match the price on those items and will charge much higher than
    $14.88.

    My Walmart has had the $5.88 DVD bin for as long as I can remember,
    and my Walmart is open 24-hour Walmart, but its prices on DVDs are
    rarely good. Enjoy your magic Walmart while it lasts.

    Davy, Sep 26, 2003
  11. Scot Gardner

    G M Guest

    "Davy" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 07:09:02 -0700, "Scot Gardner"
    > <> wrote:

    > ><<You live by what we call a "magic" WalMart. The chance that 90% of the
    > >real WalMarts have that price are slim to none.>>

    > A "magic" Walmart is one which has not yet driven all the "mom & pop"
    > store competition in the area out of business and has especially good
    > prices in order to do that. Once this happens (over a number of years)
    > and only chain stores like Best Buy and Circuit City remain, then
    > suddenly the "magic" will end and your Walmart will become like my
    > Walmart where Sleeping Beauty is $19.97 on release week but you could
    > price match to Best Buy for $17.99. The only time my non-magic Walmart
    > has a new release DVD for under $15 (i.e. $14.88) is when a competitor
    > has a current ad specifically listing that price in the ad. With Best
    > Buy and Circuit City purposefully using "low price" or "hot price"
    > instead of listing actual prices, that means Walmart does not have to
    > match the price on those items and will charge much higher than
    > $14.88.
    >
    > My Walmart has had the $5.88 DVD bin for as long as I can remember,
    > and my Walmart is open 24-hour Walmart, but its prices on DVDs are
    > rarely good. Enjoy your magic Walmart while it lasts.
    >
    > >Yes, I must agree that this store is indeed a "magic" Wal-Mart. On
    > >Tuesday, I called the store at 9AM (because that is the time that they
    > >used to open the doors) and within 2 minutes I knew that they had at
    > >least 50 copies of _Sleeping Beauty_ on sale for $14.77. (I made the
    > >mistake of posting the price as $14.88.)
    > >
    > >This has been an education for me, since I very rarely go to Wal-Mart
    > >and this particular store is the only one that I frequent. I thought I
    > >was doing the newsgroup a service by posting what could possibly be the
    > >lowest price for _Sleeping Beauty_. This Wal-Mart also has the $5.88 DVD
    > >bargain bin -- which I have also discovered is not present in all
    > >Wal-Mart stores.
    > >
    > >My local Wal-Mart is definitely not the place to shop for all DVDs,
    > >since the selection is very limited. However, this store continually
    > >prices the major new DVD releases under $15. The other main attraction
    > >to this Wal-Mart is that it is now open from 7AM to 11PM. Costco doesn't
    > >open until 10AM for business members and 11AM for non-business members.
    > >
    > >This "magic" Wal-Mart is almost too good to be true.

    My Walmart has no competition. DVDs are never less than 19.00.

    G M, Sep 26, 2003
  12. Scot Gardner

    Impmon Guest

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 03:26:03 GMT, "G M" <> typed:

    >My Walmart has no competition. DVDs are never less than 19.00.

    Even the supposedly $5.88 DVDs are at least $19? Ouch... Time for you
    to move. ;)
    ----
    space for rent.

    Impmon, Sep 26, 2003