    Windows 7
    2GB ram
    TIA
    bardeban, Nov 12, 2009

  2. bardeban

    chuckcar Guest

    "bardeban" <> wrote in
    news:hdg69a$jv7$-september.org:

    > When I leave my Windows 7 computer for more than 5 minutes, computer
    > goes to sleep mode and as soon as I touch the keyboard , it comes back
    > alive. My question is "Is it OK to leave the computer in sleep mode
    > rather than shutting it up at night before I go to sleep"?
    > Windows 7

    Who pays your hydro? Are you willing to pay for the replacement of
    computers that die from excessive use? Do you backup all your data to
    permanent media monthly for when you hard drive dies a premature death
    from overuse? Do you leave all your lights on at night?

    No trolling, but merely stating what should be obvious.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 12, 2009

  3. bardeban

    chuckcar Guest

    Terry Heinz <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 14:17:37 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 22:13:32 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Who pays your hydro? Are you willing to pay for the replacement of
    >>>computers that die from excessive use? Do you backup all your data to
    >>>permanent media monthly for when you hard drive dies a premature death
    >>>from overuse? Do you leave all your lights on at night?
    >>>
    >>>No trolling, but merely stating what should be obvious.

    >>Gee, didn't see that one coming.

    > I'm a new Windows 7 Pro user after upgrading from WinXP Pro and I was
    > about to agree with "chuckar" but fortunately for my own credence I read
    > the follow up posts (in both threads) first.
    >
    > I think "chuckar" and I use the same ISP but I don't use their
    > newserver.

    I don't see how you would know that.

    > Like "chuckar" I turn on the computer in the morning, in my case between
    > 5:00 & 6:00 AM and switch off around 9:00 PM. The moniter darkens after
    > each 20 minutes.

    I turn off my computer when I'm not at it period.

    > Incoming emails are announced every 10:00 Minutes giving the opportunity
    > to reply to specific emails shortly after their arrival is announced and
    > recordered in the system tray even if I am in a different room or
    > outside.
    >
    > Evan, that's a bit of a wake up call for me, I've never ever tried
    > "sleep mode" so I will try it soon.

    Well, you're more than welcome to take the advice of the idiot trolls here
    or you can take the advice of someone who's actually *worked* at a
    help desk for over a year. What I stated was the facts. A typical desktop
    computer uses a 500-700 watt power supply. Granted that's *not* in sleep,
    but it does apply when the screensaver is active. That would be 120Kwh not
    including the monitor, which is typically arround 50 watts. Even in sleep a
    computer is still consuming a not insignificant amount of power. The CPU is
    still running checking for a request to come out of sleep and depending on
    the CPU in the computer that is easily 25 watts.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 14, 2009