    check is per printer or per claimant.
    Claims must be made by June 22, 2006.

    For details: http://www.epsonsettlement.com/

    Rich, Apr 15, 2006

  2. Rich

    mrsgator88 Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Epson has settled a class-action lawsuit in the US regarding its inkjet
    > printers. The complaint was that Epson's cartridges indicate that
    > they're empty when they are not, and that the printers will refuse to
    > operate even though ink remains in the cartridge.

    But is there a FIX for this problem as part of the settlement? My dad goes
    nuts everytime he shakes an "empty" cartridge and hears ink splasing around!

    SteveO

    mrsgator88, Apr 15, 2006

  3. Rich

    Pete D Guest

    "mrsgator88" <> wrote in message
    > "Rich" <> wrote in message
    >> Epson has settled a class-action lawsuit in the US regarding its inkjet
    >> printers. The complaint was that Epson's cartridges indicate that
    >> they're empty when they are not, and that the printers will refuse to
    >> operate even though ink remains in the cartridge.

    > But is there a FIX for this problem as part of the settlement? My dad
    > goes nuts everytime he shakes an "empty" cartridge and hears ink splasing
    > around!
    >
    > SteveO

    Tell him to take the money and not go nuts?? Get a Canon?

    Pete D, Apr 15, 2006
  4. Rich wrote:
    > Epson has settled a class-action lawsuit in the US regarding its inkjet
    > printers. The complaint was that Epson's cartridges indicate that
    > they're empty when they are not, and that the printers will refuse to
    > operate even though ink remains in the cartridge.
    >
    > Epson continues to deny any wrong-doing but has settled. The settlement
    > offer gives three options:
    > o $45 credit at Epson's e-store (the default benefit)
    > o $25 by check + $20 credit at Epson's e-store
    > o 25% off purchases at Epson's e-store up to a limit of $100 credit
    >
    > The selected e-store benefit is applied to each qualifying printer
    > registered under the settlement program - if you have multiple Epson
    > printers, you get multiple benefits. It's not clear to me if the $25
    > check is per printer or per claimant.
    > Claims must be made by June 22, 2006.
    >
    > For details: http://www.epsonsettlement.com/

    It may be the best deal that can be struck, but it really frosts me.
    This is one of those settlements only a lawyer could love. A
    manufacturer/supplier screws up, and is rewarded by making the injured
    party buy more of their products. What a deal!!

    EJ in NJ

    Ernie Willson, Apr 15, 2006

  5. > It may be the best deal that can be struck, but it really frosts me.
    > This is one of those settlements only a lawyer could love. A
    > manufacturer/supplier screws up, and is rewarded by making the injured
    > party buy more of their products. What a deal!!

    I wish Epson hadn't settled on this. The suit only addresses the failure to
    know how much ink is still in the cart. How is the printer supposed to know
    how much is in the cart? It has to guess. So it guesses on the safe side. If
    the consumer chooses to see that as wasted ink rather than ink they got over
    and above what they paid for is all in the mind of the consumer.

    It would have been better to address anti-competitive practices.

    Gene Palmiter, Apr 15, 2006
  6. Rich

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    mrsgator88 wrote:
    > "Rich" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Epson has settled a class-action lawsuit in the US regarding its inkjet
    >>printers. The complaint was that Epson's cartridges indicate that
    >>they're empty when they are not, and that the printers will refuse to
    >>operate even though ink remains in the cartridge.

    > But is there a FIX for this problem as part of the settlement? My dad goes
    > nuts everytime he shakes an "empty" cartridge and hears ink splasing around!
    >
    > SteveO

    Hi SteveO :)

    Ask your Dad to consider getting a copy of SLC from
    www.slc.com

    With it he has several options...

    He can use it to tell the printer that each or every cartridge
    is full,

    Or he can use it to tell the printer to not even count at all,
    that every cartridge is always full to the brim.

    Also provides many other benefits. Power cleaning. Clean only
    one cartridge as opposed to cleaning 'em all whether they all need
    it or not. And much more.

    Take care.

    Ken

    Disclaimer: I have nothing whatsoever to do with slc, other than
    being a happy user :)

    Ken Weitzel, Apr 15, 2006
  7. Rich

    DogFart Guest

    On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 14:02:02 GMT, Ken Weitzel <>
    wrote:

    >Ask your Dad to consider getting a copy of SLC from
    >www.slc.com

    Can you check that URL?

    It is a site for Salt Lake City!

    DogFart, Apr 15, 2006
  8. Rich

    Bill Funk Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi SteveO :)
    >
    >Ask your Dad to consider getting a copy of SLC from
    >www.slc.com

    ???
    I get a search site. What do I search on? "SLC" brings up things like
    'Salt Lake City maps' and 'Silvan Learning Center'.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Apr 15, 2006
  9. Rich

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    DogFart wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 14:02:02 GMT, Ken Weitzel <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Ask your Dad to consider getting a copy of SLC from
    >>www.slc.com

    > Can you check that URL?
    >
    > It is a site for Salt Lake City!

    Hi Dog :)

    Sorry about that; the older I get the dimmer the memory becomes,
    and the more mistakes I make :(

    http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Apr 15, 2006
  10. Rich

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Bill Funk wrote:

    > On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 14:02:02 GMT, Ken Weitzel <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hi SteveO :)
    >>
    >>Ask your Dad to consider getting a copy of SLC from
    >>www.slc.com

    > ???
    > I get a search site. What do I search on? "SLC" brings up things like
    > 'Salt Lake City maps' and 'Silvan Learning Center'.

    Hi Bill...

    Sorry to you, as well... have to learn to be more careful :)

    Ken Weitzel, Apr 15, 2006
  11. Rich

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:15:16 GMT, Ken Weitzel <>
    wrote:

    >Bill Funk wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 14:02:02 GMT, Ken Weitzel <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi SteveO :)
    >>>
    >>>Ask your Dad to consider getting a copy of SLC from
    >>>www.slc.com

    >> ???
    >> I get a search site. What do I search on? "SLC" brings up things like
    >> 'Salt Lake City maps' and 'Silvan Learning Center'.

    >Hi Bill...
    >
    >Sorry to you, as well... have to learn to be more careful :)
    >
    >http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml
    >
    >Take care.
    >
    >Ken

    Thanks!
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Apr 15, 2006
  12. Rich

    DogFart Guest

    On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:14:18 GMT, Ken Weitzel <>
    wrote:

    >Hi Dog :)
    >
    >Sorry about that; the older I get the dimmer the memory becomes,
    >and the more mistakes I make :(
    >
    >http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

    Thanks for that, I'll have to chew on a bone now and try and figure it
    out! :)

    Here down under in Oz I personally had not heard of this Epson ink
    scam; any way to test a cartridge and determine if it really is empty
    if Epson say so?

    DogFart, Apr 15, 2006
  13. Rich

    Mark M Guest

    "DogFart" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:14:18 GMT, Ken Weitzel <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi Dog :)
    > >
    > >Sorry about that; the older I get the dimmer the memory becomes,
    > >and the more mistakes I make :(
    > >
    > >http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

    > Thanks for that, I'll have to chew on a bone now and try and figure it
    > out! :)
    >
    > Here down under in Oz I personally had not heard of this Epson ink
    > scam; any way to test a cartridge and determine if it really is empty
    > if Epson say so?

    The easiest way is to get the aforementioned utility that fools
    the printer into believing its cartridges are full. Then proceed
    to print until the ink starts getting lighter.

    I've done this repeatedly, and consistently Epson cartridges
    are nowhere near empty when the printer claims they are.
    Even accounting for residual ink in the feeder lines, there's
    quite a bit of ink left in the cartridges.

    It's a ripoff, and I'm glad someone was persistent enough
    to make this class action suit against Epson. Consumers
    should be allowed to change their printer cartridges when
    they want, not when manufacturers dictate.

    Mark M, Apr 16, 2006
  14. Rich

    Rich Guest

    wrote:

    >mrsgator88 wrote:
    >> "Rich" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Epson has settled a class-action lawsuit in the US regarding its inkjet
    >>>printers. The complaint was that Epson's cartridges indicate that
    >>>they're empty when they are not, and that the printers will refuse to
    >>>operate even though ink remains in the cartridge.

    >> But is there a FIX for this problem as part of the settlement? My dad goes
    >> nuts everytime he shakes an "empty" cartridge and hears ink splasing around!
    >>
    >> SteveO

    >Hi SteveO :)
    >
    >Ask your Dad to consider getting a copy of SLC from
    >www.slc.com
    >
    >With it he has several options...
    >
    >He can use it to tell the printer that each or every cartridge
    >is full,
    >
    >Or he can use it to tell the printer to not even count at all,
    >that every cartridge is always full to the brim.
    >
    >Also provides many other benefits. Power cleaning. Clean only
    >one cartridge as opposed to cleaning 'em all whether they all need
    >it or not. And much more.
    >
    >Take care.
    >
    >Ken
    >
    >Disclaimer: I have nothing whatsoever to do with slc, other than
    >being a happy user :)

    Your "take care" would seem to disprove that. You see, all spammers
    have this way of tipping off people to that fact, principally by using
    transparent salutations or "sales lines."
    Such as:
    -"I was just surfing and I found this great website."
    "Take care."
    "Have fun."
    "Cheers"

    Rich, Apr 16, 2006
  15. Rich

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 14:02:02 GMT, Ken Weitzel <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>mrsgator88 wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Rich" <> wrote in message

    >>>But is there a FIX for this problem as part of the settlement? My dad goes
    >>>nuts everytime he shakes an "empty" cartridge and hears ink splasing around!
    >>>
    >>>SteveO

    >>Hi SteveO :)
    >>
    >>Ask your Dad to consider getting a copy of SLC from
    >>www.slc.com
    >>
    >>With it he has several options...
    >>
    >>He can use it to tell the printer that each or every cartridge
    >>is full,
    >>
    >>Or he can use it to tell the printer to not even count at all,
    >>that every cartridge is always full to the brim.
    >>
    >>Also provides many other benefits. Power cleaning. Clean only
    >>one cartridge as opposed to cleaning 'em all whether they all need
    >>it or not. And much more.
    >>
    >>Take care.
    >>
    >>Ken
    >>
    >>Disclaimer: I have nothing whatsoever to do with slc, other than
    >>being a happy user :)

    > Your "take care" would seem to disprove that. You see, all spammers
    > have this way of tipping off people to that fact, principally by using
    > transparent salutations or "sales lines."
    > Such as:
    > -"I was just surfing and I found this great website."
    > "Take care."
    > "Have fun."
    > "Cheers"

    Hi Rich...

    You sound awful cynical, so...

    I'm an old long retired guy...

    I tag each and every message I write with "Take care"... googling
    my name should find you an almost limitless supply of my ng messages,
    each of which will contain that phrase.

    I'm in Canada, as you'll recognize from the shaw.ca address,
    (Winnipeg, actually) just as I know you're somewhere in
    Eastern Canada from your sympatico.ca address. Not of much
    interest, _except_ that I believe the ssc folks are in Russia.

    Finally, SSC is free, always has been, and the last I checked
    (couple of years ago) still is. They don't even ask for donations.

    So, perhaps you'd like to re-consider?

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Apr 16, 2006
  16. Rich

    Stacey Guest

    Rich wrote:

    > Epson has settled a class-action lawsuit in the US regarding its inkjet
    > printers. The complaint was that Epson's cartridges indicate that
    > they're empty when they are not, and that the printers will refuse to
    > operate even though ink remains in the cartridge.
    >
    > Epson continues to deny any wrong-doing but has settled. The settlement
    > offer gives three options:
    > o $45 credit at Epson's e-store (the default benefit)
    > o $25 by check + $20 credit at Epson's e-store
    > o 25% off purchases at Epson's e-store up to a limit of $100 credit

    Take the money and buy a cart zapper..
    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Apr 17, 2006
  17. In article <>,
    "Rich" <> wrote:

    > Epson has settled a class-action lawsuit in the US regarding its inkjet
    > printers. The complaint was that Epson's cartridges indicate that
    > they're empty when they are not, and that the printers will refuse to
    > operate even though ink remains in the cartridge.
    >
    > Epson continues to deny any wrong-doing but has settled. The settlement
    > offer gives three options:
    > o $45 credit at Epson's e-store (the default benefit)
    > o $25 by check + $20 credit at Epson's e-store
    > o 25% off purchases at Epson's e-store up to a limit of $100 credit
    >
    > The selected e-store benefit is applied to each qualifying printer
    > registered under the settlement program - if you have multiple Epson
    > printers, you get multiple benefits. It's not clear to me if the $25
    > check is per printer or per claimant.
    > Claims must be made by June 22, 2006.
    >
    > For details: http://www.epsonsettlement.com/

    A lot of good a credit would do me. I already threw my Epson 2200 in
    the trash because of its operating cost. It needed nozzle cleaning
    every few pages and it wasted half its roll paper due to driver and
    firmware bugs. The cheapest thing to do was throw it out and buy a
    Canon.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Apr 19, 2006