slave hard drive crash causing boot errors and bios failure

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by corey, Jun 13, 2004.

  1. corey

    corey Guest

    my dell 8200 p4 1.7 640mbRAMBUS just froze.
    when i reboted, i got F1 to reboot, F2 for set up.
    i also was hearing a "tick tock" rhythmic clicking that i had never
    heard before.

    bios changed so that all devices were "unknown". I removed the slave
    hard drive, which had all my digital files. I was finally able to get
    the computer to booth with a Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools disk
    and a Norton Ghost Bootable floppy.

    Nothing seems wrong with the master hard drive (western digital). But
    when I plugged the second hard drive back in, I crashed again.

    This second hard drive doesn't even have an OS on it. It was just
    storage.
    How can I get the data back? Or get the computer to 'see' it? Do I
    adjust the bios first? then try to hook it back up? or does it seem
    dead? but why would that cause the crash???

    thanks

    corey, Jun 13, 2004

  2. corey

    Toolman Tim Guest

    corey wrote:
    >> my dell 8200 p4 1.7 640mbRAMBUS just froze.
    >> when i reboted, i got F1 to reboot, F2 for set up.
    >> i also was hearing a "tick tock" rhythmic clicking that i had never
    >> heard before.
    >>
    >> bios changed so that all devices were "unknown". I removed the slave
    >> hard drive, which had all my digital files. I was finally able to get
    >> the computer to booth with a Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools
    >> disk and a Norton Ghost Bootable floppy.
    >>
    >> Nothing seems wrong with the master hard drive (western digital). But
    >> when I plugged the second hard drive back in, I crashed again.
    >>
    >> This second hard drive doesn't even have an OS on it. It was just
    >> storage.
    >> How can I get the data back? Or get the computer to 'see' it? Do I
    >> adjust the bios first? then try to hook it back up? or does it seem
    >> dead? but why would that cause the crash???
    >>
    >> thanks

    Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, boom! Uh oh...no backups? Too late <g>

    Actually, there are things you can try - like a bootable CD (okay, you Linux
    guys - jump in here and help on this one!) that will read your drives but
    don't have to use them for running the OS. Then, you can hopefully transfer
    the data off to the master drive. That's what I'd try first - but I don't
    have a current list of Linux distros on bootable CD that will read NTFS or
    FAT32 partitions.

    Blinky - your turn...

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jun 13, 2004