    have tried the combo but the slave does not fire. the camera is Pentax
    k10d. Is there something I am missing?

    Mogh

    mogh baba, Dec 11, 2006

  2. mogh baba

    Bob Williams Guest

    mogh baba wrote:
    > I am new to this part of photography. I have recently bought a Pentax
    > AF 540 flash and thoght to get a pair of slave flashes to make a kit.
    > I know, i did not searched good beforehand but the Sunpack which I
    > bought mentioned that it will work as slave also. The flash is called
    > Sunpack digital flash:
    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...230&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
    > the direction on this slave says only put it on S and that's it. I
    > have tried the combo but the slave does not fire. the camera is Pentax
    > k10d. Is there something I am missing?
    >
    > Mogh

    At what distance is the slave from the camera?
    Is the slave sensor aimed toward the camera?
    Does the slave sensor have a sensitivity setting?
    Will flash from another camera or another flash unit cause the Slave
    Flash to fire?
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Dec 11, 2006

  3. mogh baba

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 15:32:40 +0100, mogh baba <> wrote:

    > the direction on this slave says only put it on S and that's it. I
    > have tried the combo but the slave does not fire. the camera is
    > Pentax k10d. Is there something I am missing?

    Maybe "put it on S and that's it" applies when you use it with a
    wire connection, or when you're using a compatible camera using the
    proper camera settings? From the description on the B&S page, it
    appears that it can't work properly if your camera produces
    anti-redeye preflashes.

    Is the slave actually not firing? It's possible that it is, but
    not in synch with the K10D's shutter. The spec's say that it is
    only programmed to fire 200 milliseconds after the triggering
    flash's initial burst, and that's likely to be the main problem.
    Preflashes are generally either those used for exposure calculations
    or to attempt to reduce redeye. The former are usually flashed so
    close to the main flash that they'll appear as a single flash. If
    the slave flash goes off 200 milliseconds (1/5th second) after an
    exposure preflash, by that time the picture would have already been
    taken and the shutter closed, unless you use a very slow shutter
    speed, 1/4 second or slower. Anti-redeye preflashes occur long
    before the shutter opens, usually a second or more.

    First test the slave flash to see if it's firing, even if it's at
    the wrong time. If it is, make sure that the K10D has disabled
    anti-redeye preflashes. Then, take a picture where the flash is
    seen in the frame. If it flashes when you take its picture, you'll
    either see a bright flash in the image or you won't. If you do, the
    slave flash is working properly, but since it's not a powerful
    flash, its effect may not be obvious. If a bright flash isn't seen
    in the image but you saw it flash, then it's out of synch with the
    K10D and there may not be much you can do about it. I have a small
    slave flash (the Metz Mecablitz 28 CS-2) and unlike the Sunpack's
    200ms delay, it defaults to a 45ms delay. The manual indicates that
    some cameras need a shorter delay, and others emit more than a
    single preflash and may need a longer delay, so the Metz allows the
    delay to be modified over a range of 5ms to 255ms. Since the
    Sunpack only allows for a 200ms delay, that may be why the flash
    isn't working properly, if it actually is being triggered.

    If the slave's flash did appear in the image, since it's not very
    powerful, do everything possible to make sure that its effect can be
    easily noticed. Such things include changing the K10D's flash
    exposure compensation to make it as weak as possible. Also, you
    could place it closer to the subject that you want it to illuminate
    than the K10D's own flash. But don't expect too much from the
    Sunpack since it's not a very powerful flash. It may not even be as
    powerful as your Pentax's own built-in flash.

    ASAAR, Dec 11, 2006
  4. mogh baba

    Roy G Guest

    <mogh baba> wrote in message
    >I am new to this part of photography. I have recently bought a Pentax
    > AF 540 flash and thoght to get a pair of slave flashes to make a kit.
    > I know, i did not searched good beforehand but the Sunpack which I
    > bought mentioned that it will work as slave also. The flash is called
    > Sunpack digital flash:
    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...230&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
    > the direction on this slave says only put it on S and that's it. I
    > have tried the combo but the slave does not fire. the camera is Pentax
    > k10d. Is there something I am missing?
    >
    > Mogh

    Hi

    Are you sure the slave flash is not firing??

    Have you tried watching it, while you fire the main flash?

    If the main flash is pointed directly at the slave, you may not be able to
    see the light from the slave, because the main flash is so much more
    powerfull. Aim the main one so that only the edge of its light, or only its
    reflected light, hits the sensor on the slave. If you get close to it, you
    may hear it firing, and / or see its recharging light come on.

    Your main problem with this sort of setup, is that you will probably need to
    work all the Flashes and the Camera in Manual Mode. Because the TTL
    Automation can not control, or allow for, the extra light from the Slave
    Flashes. And / Or because the exposure controlling Pre Flashes from the
    Pentax will trigger the Slaves before the Camera Shutter is open.

    It means you will need to test fire, then check the actual exposure in the
    Histogram. It will be slow at first, but you will soon be able to estimate
    it exactly, first time.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Dec 12, 2006
  5. Roy G wrote:
    > <mogh baba> wrote in message
    >> I am new to this part of photography. I have recently bought a Pentax
    >> AF 540 flash and thoght to get a pair of slave flashes to make a kit.
    >> I know, i did not searched good beforehand but the Sunpack which I
    >> bought mentioned that it will work as slave also. The flash is called
    >> Sunpack digital flash:
    >> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...230&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
    >> the direction on this slave says only put it on S and that's it. I
    >> have tried the combo but the slave does not fire. the camera is Pentax
    >> k10d. Is there something I am missing?

    > Are you sure the slave flash is not firing??
    >
    > Have you tried watching it, while you fire the main flash?
    >
    > If the main flash is pointed directly at the slave, you may not be able to
    > see the light from the slave, because the main flash is so much more
    > powerfull. Aim the main one so that only the edge of its light, or only its
    > reflected light, hits the sensor on the slave. If you get close to it, you
    > may hear it firing, and / or see its recharging light come on.

    This is good advice; the other problem with the Slave unit being
    directly in the path of the Master is the reflection off the Master may
    make it appear the Slave is firing when it ain't.

    > Your main problem with this sort of setup, is that you will probably need to
    > work all the Flashes and the Camera in Manual Mode. Because the TTL
    > Automation can not control, or allow for, the extra light from the Slave
    > Flashes. And / Or because the exposure controlling Pre Flashes from the
    > Pentax will trigger the Slaves before the Camera Shutter is open.

    From what I read in the Canon flash manuals, full ETTL flash control is
    possible with slaves, using, of course, their expensive EX units, of
    which I now have two, but haven't experimented enough with say how it
    goes. I am not sure if it's all settable from the camera, or via the
    menu on the units, or a combo.

    > It means you will need to test fire, then check the actual exposure in the
    > Histogram. It will be slow at first, but you will soon be able to estimate
    > it exactly, first time.

    I guess a shoe and synch cord would work for most setups, although of
    course it'd be manual, which is probably superior overall to full ETTL
    in anything approaching a studio setup.

    --

    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Dec 12, 2006
  6. mogh baba

    Mark B. Guest

    "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    > Roy G wrote:
    >>
    >> Your main problem with this sort of setup, is that you will probably need
    >> to work all the Flashes and the Camera in Manual Mode. Because the TTL
    >> Automation can not control, or allow for, the extra light from the Slave
    >> Flashes. And / Or because the exposure controlling Pre Flashes from the
    >> Pentax will trigger the Slaves before the Camera Shutter is open.

    > From what I read in the Canon flash manuals, full ETTL flash control is
    > possible with slaves, using, of course, their expensive EX units, of which
    > I now have two, but haven't experimented enough with say how it goes. I am
    > not sure if it's all settable from the camera, or via the menu on the
    > units, or a combo.

    This doesn't do the OP any good since he's using a Pentax. K10D.

    Mark

    Mark B., Dec 13, 2006
  7. Mark B. wrote:
    > "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    >> Roy G wrote:
    >>> Your main problem with this sort of setup, is that you will probably need
    >>> to work all the Flashes and the Camera in Manual Mode. Because the TTL
    >>> Automation can not control, or allow for, the extra light from the Slave
    >>> Flashes. And / Or because the exposure controlling Pre Flashes from the
    >>> Pentax will trigger the Slaves before the Camera Shutter is open.

    >> From what I read in the Canon flash manuals, full ETTL flash control is
    >> possible with slaves, using, of course, their expensive EX units, of which
    >> I now have two, but haven't experimented enough with say how it goes. I am
    >> not sure if it's all settable from the camera, or via the menu on the
    >> units, or a combo.

    > This doesn't do the OP any good since he's using a Pentax. K10D.

    I forgot, and pushed the topic to run towards a question I have.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Dec 13, 2006