Slave Flash - Dark Picture - Limited solution

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by skarkada@gmail.com, Feb 7, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Problem:
    Buy a cheap slave flash ($20 at Ritz) to complement the light produced
    by camera's flash. However, you will find that the picture comes out
    much darker than the picture with only camera's flash. Picture is
    darker than the one with no flash at all.

    Analysis:
    You will find threads and articles on the Internet describing the
    phenomenon. Quickly put, your digital camera flash fires two times;
    once to compute the exposure settings and second time for the real
    picture. Slave fires off with the first flash, camera thinks the
    subject is very bright and dims down the exposure. However, when the
    real picture is taken, there isn't much light at all. So, the picture
    comes out dark.

    Quick solution:
    Buy expensive "intelligent" slave flash.

    Another solution:
    Check if you camera supports "1st curtain" and "2nd curtain" flash
    feature. My camera (Canon S2 IS) does when in manual mode and when in
    some program AE modes. When you set the camera to "2nd curtain" mode,
    camera flash fires at the end of the aperture opening. When you click
    the button, aperture opens, stays open to gather light, flash fires,
    and aperture closes. Since the aperture is open, it doesn't matter
    when the slave fires. This worked fine and the picture came out bright
    and I can clearly see the effect of the slave flash. Now, I have to
    figure out how far to keep the slave flash so picture doesn't come out
    too bright. I can live with that.
    , Feb 7, 2008