    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Dec 23, 2005

  2. "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    news:KnXqf.57934$...
    > I have tried to use my D20 to trigger a slave. The slave is triggered
    > by the D20's flash OK, but there is enough of a delay that I am not

    getting
    > any of that light on the subject. I have tried both first and second
    > curtain settings and the recommended slow shutter speed.
    >
    > Am I missing something or am I just out of luck?
    >
    > --
    > Joseph Meehan

    Your slave is being triggered by your 20D's ETTL pre-flash. (It's ~1/20 of
    the main flash strength and fires before the mirror raises.)
    If you want to check this, separate the pre-flash from the main flash by
    using mirror up and the 2 sec delay. Arm your slave between the two
    flashes. It's quite difficult, and only possible, I've found, in a test
    situation. (Same goes for many flash meters.)

    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK

    Malcolm Stewart, Dec 23, 2005

  3. Joseph Meehan

    Scott W Guest

    Joseph Meehan wrote:
    > I have tried to use my D20 to trigger a slave. The slave is triggered
    > by the D20's flash OK, but there is enough of a delay that I am not getting
    > any of that light on the subject. I have tried both first and second
    > curtain settings and the recommended slow shutter speed.
    >
    > Am I missing something or am I just out of luck?
    >
    > --
    > Joseph Meehan
    >
    > Dia duit

    I have found a simple way to avoid this problem is to use a cheap flash
    on the hot shoe. The 20D does not do a preflash when it uses an extern
    flash.

    Scott

    Scott W, Dec 23, 2005
  4. Joseph Meehan

    Aad Guest

    "Joseph Meehan" <> schreef in bericht
    > I have tried to use my D20 to trigger a slave. The slave is triggered
    > by the D20's flash OK, but there is enough of a delay that I am not
    > getting any of that light on the subject. I have tried both first and
    > second curtain settings and the recommended slow shutter speed.
    >
    > Am I missing something or am I just out of luck?
    >
    > --
    > Joseph Meehan
    >
    > Dia duit

    Use the FEL button and wait for a few secs so that the main flashes can
    charge again.
    Then take your picture within (guess) 15 seconds. (rtm for the exact time)
    If you have an external flash; put it in manual. (no preflash then)
    Good luck
    Aad

    Aad, Dec 23, 2005
  5. Joseph Meehan wrote:
    > I have tried to use my D20 to trigger a slave. The slave is
    > triggered by the D20's flash OK, but there is enough of a delay that
    > I am not getting any of that light on the subject. I have tried both
    > first and second curtain settings and the recommended slow shutter
    > speed.
    > Am I missing something or am I just out of luck?

    Thanks everyone. I should have figured that one out myself. I will
    play around with your ideas and see what may work for me. Since it is
    almost still life, I should be able to get by.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Dec 23, 2005
  6. "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    > Joseph Meehan wrote:
    >> I have tried to use my D20 to trigger a slave. The slave is
    >> triggered by the D20's flash OK, but there is enough of a delay that
    >> I am not getting any of that light on the subject. I have tried both
    >> first and second curtain settings and the recommended slow shutter
    >> speed.
    >> Am I missing something or am I just out of luck?

    > Thanks everyone. I should have figured that one out myself. I will
    > play around with your ideas and see what may work for me. Since it is
    > almost still life, I should be able to get by.
    >
    > --
    > Joseph Meehan
    >
    > Dia duit

    You may be using too high a shutter speed. Are you using 1/1000 second? Do
    you want to try 1/250 or 1/125?

    Wannabe
    =======

    WannabeSomeone, Dec 25, 2005
  7. WannabeSomeone wrote:
    > "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    >> Joseph Meehan wrote:
    >>> I have tried to use my D20 to trigger a slave. The slave is
    >>> triggered by the D20's flash OK, but there is enough of a delay that
    >>> I am not getting any of that light on the subject. I have tried
    >>> both first and second curtain settings and the recommended slow
    >>> shutter speed.
    >>> Am I missing something or am I just out of luck?

    >> Thanks everyone. I should have figured that one out myself. I
    >> will play around with your ideas and see what may work for me. Since it
    >> is almost still life, I should be able to get by.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Joseph Meehan
    >>
    >> Dia duit
    >>

    > You may be using too high a shutter speed. Are you using 1/1000
    > second? Do you want to try 1/250 or 1/125?

    I have tried down to 1/20. I suspect the suggestions already made
    should handle it.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Dec 25, 2005
  8. "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    > WannabeSomeone wrote:
    >> "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Thanks everyone. I should have figured that one out myself. I
    >>> will play around with your ideas and see what may work for me. Since it
    >>> is almost still life, I should be able to get by.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Joseph Meehan
    >>>
    >>> Dia duit
    >>>

    >> You may be using too high a shutter speed. Are you using 1/1000
    >> second? Do you want to try 1/250 or 1/125?

    > I have tried down to 1/20. I suspect the suggestions already made
    > should handle it.
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion.

    I have another explanation.

    The slave flash you have used is set at "auto" with a specific f/stop. The
    slave is triggered, but the sensor detects enough brightness (because of
    your primary flash) so it thyrister shuts off extremely early. The solution
    is to set your slave flash to "max", or tape off the sensor hole so it will
    give full power flash.

    I hope my suggestion helps.

    Wannabe
    =======