    Would appreciate some insight.

    Thanks!
    Apurva
    Apu, May 12, 2006

  2. "Apu" <> wrote:
    >I wanted to see if some one can answer my question on why the Skype
    >(SkypeOut) rates to India are so high.

    You asked the same question on the 6th, didn't you like the answers?
    William P.N. Smith, May 13, 2006

  3. Apu

    Apu Guest

    Sorry, I thought I was posting on a different newsgroup :) I did like
    the answers, I just did not get a conclusive answer on how VoIP calling
    is being done to India (PC to PSTN, that is), and whether VoIP traffic
    is all the way to India or terminates outside of India's borders.
    Apu, May 13, 2006
  4. Apu

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Apu wrote:

    > Sorry, I thought I was posting on a different newsgroup :) I did like
    > the answers, I just did not get a conclusive answer on how VoIP calling
    > is being done to India (PC to PSTN, that is), and whether VoIP traffic
    > is all the way to India or terminates outside of India's borders.

    Does the internet terminate outside the borders?
    Rick Merrill, May 13, 2006
  5. Apu

    Apu Guest

    No, the internet does not terminate outside the borders :))) I am
    specifically asking a call originating over the internet (PC) and
    terminating on a PSTN number in India. How is that done, 'cause I
    don't know if there are IP to PSTN bridges at many CO's in India.
    Apu, May 13, 2006
  6. Apu

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Apu wrote:
    > No, the internet does not terminate outside the borders :))) I am
    > specifically asking a call originating over the internet (PC) and
    > terminating on a PSTN number in India. How is that done, 'cause I
    > don't know if there are IP to PSTN bridges at many CO's in India.

    Ask some of the VoiP providers if they have calls to India. Why would
    you care where the bridge was located?
    Rick Merrill, May 13, 2006
  7. "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    > Apu wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry, I thought I was posting on a different newsgroup :) I did like
    >> the answers, I just did not get a conclusive answer on how VoIP calling
    >> is being done to India (PC to PSTN, that is), and whether VoIP traffic
    >> is all the way to India or terminates outside of India's borders.
    >>

    > Does the internet terminate outside the borders?

    No, but there are numerous countries, e.g. India, where it is illegal for
    anyone except the monopoly PTT to provide international or even
    intranational voice transport. In such cases, the typical result is that
    other telcos land in a neighboring country and pay the PTT at normal PSTN
    rates. In other cases, e.g. most of Africa, the VOIP provider connects to
    the local GSM network and changes locations frequently enough to not get
    caught by the PTT.

    Stephen Sprunk, May 14, 2006
  8. Apu

    Apu Guest

    The only reason I care where the IP/PSTN gateway is connected (that was
    my original question) is because PC to PSTN rates to India are still in
    the $0.12 to $ 0.15 per minute range from most providers, while
    rates to a lot of countries have dipped below $0.05. I was just
    wondering why it is the way it is, since I call India almost seven
    times a week to talk to my parents.

    Apu
    Apu, May 14, 2006
  9. Apu

    Apu Guest

    Thanks for the reply Stephen! That is what I was hearing, and the
    reason why PC to PSTN rates to India are not coming down.

    Apu
    Apu, May 14, 2006