    Thanks!
    Apurva

    , May 6, 2006

  2. wrote:
    >I was told that the traffic
    >from Skype(Out) to India is not over IP all the way to India but stays
    >over IP until about Indonesia or some place and is converted to TDM

    Doesn't sound right to me, maybe Skype isn't getting the rght kinds of
    circuits, as (IME) telecom rates to Indian call centers are
    essentially zero.

    William P.N. Smith, May 7, 2006

  3. John L Guest

    >>I was told that the traffic from Skype(Out) to India is not over IP
    >>all the way to India but stays over IP until about Indonesia or some
    >>place and is converted to TDM

    >Doesn't sound right to me, maybe Skype isn't getting the rght kinds
    >of circuits, as (IME) telecom rates to Indian call centers are
    >essentially zero.

    The price to terminate a call on the public switched network is
    probably quite high, so the call centers have leased lines into a
    private switch and avoid the termination fee.

    I use Lingo which has pretty good international rates (zero to most of
    western Europe) and they charge about the same as Skype to India,
    between 11 and 16 cents depending on the city.

    R's,
    John

    John L, May 7, 2006
  4. Apu Guest

    Just for completeness, I got my question sort of answered by one of the
    moderators on one of the Skype fora(?)

    "Skype uses gateways provided by partners to offer you skypeout calling
    to India. The exact location to these gateways are known only to skype
    staff and partners and calling rates are based on partners' offers.
    Because VOIP is not legal in India I'm sure no gateway is located
    there, thus the incomming call was converted to PSTN before India's
    borders.

    My guess is that because voip is not legal in India partners cannot
    provide Skype with lower rates to India. "

    Apurva

    Apu, May 9, 2006