    forms of teleco message "call can't be completed."

    Is this so for all SkypeIn numbers or am I running into special
    problems?

    Bob, May 24, 2006

  2. "Bob" <> wrote:
    >I have a SkypeIn number in the format 509-123-1234. I receive long
    >distance calls, but it appears the SkypeIn number can't be dialed
    >locally: 123-1234, 509-123-1234 and 1-509-123-1234 all get various
    >forms of teleco message "call can't be completed."

    Are you calling this number from the same area code and exchange? What
    are the dialing rules in effect for your region? AFAIK it should
    work...

    William P.N. Smith, May 24, 2006

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    The town I'm in (Pullman, within the 509 area code) has numbers
    prefixed by any of 332 through 339. So it's possible to dial 332-1234
    and get connected. It's also possible to call nearby towns with other
    prefixes, e.g. 882, 887 and so on with 882-1234 getting connected.
    There's a list of these prefixes under "Calling Instructions" in
    the Verizon phone book.

    The options for prefixes offered by SkypeIn are 590, 643, 320, 293,
    none of which is listed in Verizon's "Calling Instructions".

    I'm dialling from 332-2345 to 320-1234.

    Bob, May 25, 2006
  4. "Bob" <> wrote:
    >The town I'm in (Pullman, within the 509 area code) has numbers
    >prefixed by any of 332 through 339. So it's possible to dial 332-1234
    >and get connected. It's also possible to call nearby towns with other
    >prefixes, e.g. 882, 887 and so on with 882-1234 getting connected.
    >There's a list of these prefixes under "Calling Instructions" in
    >the Verizon phone book.
    >
    >The options for prefixes offered by SkypeIn are 590, 643, 320, 293,
    >none of which is listed in Verizon's "Calling Instructions".
    >
    >I'm dialling from 332-2345 to 320-1234.

    Ah, this sounds like a configuration or routing problem within
    Verizon, have you tried asking them what might be wrong?

    William P.N. Smith, May 25, 2006
  5. Bob

    Bob Guest

    No. I thought of it as a SkypeIn problem, not a Verizon problem.
    Wouldn't Verizon simply say that such a number doesn't exist as far
    as it's concerned?

    Bob, May 26, 2006
  6. Bob

    John L Guest

    >No. I thought of it as a SkypeIn problem, not a Verizon problem.

    Can people other places call you from POTS phones? If they can,
    Skype is set up OK.

    >Wouldn't Verizon simply say that such a number doesn't exist as far
    >as it's concerned?

    Not necessarily. I gather there are a lot of ways to screw up a
    switch's configuration.

    John L, May 26, 2006
  7. Bob

    Bob Guest

    POTS long distance calls from friends living in other area codes come
    through OK. But if I make a call from another phone in the same town I
    get "call can't be completed" messages.

    Verizon offers prefixes in the range 332 through 339. Surely, if I
    complain to Verizon that I can't call a 320 number the simple
    response will be that such a number doesn't exist.

    Bob, May 28, 2006
  8. "Bob" <> wrote:
    >Verizon offers prefixes in the range 332 through 339. Surely, if I
    >complain to Verizon that I can't call a 320 number the simple
    >response will be that such a number doesn't exist.

    Rather than assuming that Verizon won't be able to help you, why not
    call them and try to point out the problem? Yeah, maybe you'll get
    some clue-free script monkey, but maybe all it'll take to fix it will
    be bringing it to their attention.

    You could also try logging an error in Skype's system (whatever that
    is), I'm sure they'll be able to figure it out, in conjunction with
    Verizon.

    There's nothing you can do (or anyone can help you with) here other
    than confirm that something's wrong with Verizon's switch programming,
    or something in a tandem(?) switch somewhere isn't doing the right
    thing. Only Verizon (or their trunk sources) can fix this. In fact,
    I'd bet Verizon is operating the switch that your 320 exchange is on,
    and reselling it to Skype.

    William P.N. Smith, May 28, 2006
  9. Bob

    R-Guy Guest

    "William P.N. Smith" <> wrote in message
    > "Bob" <> wrote:
    >>Verizon offers prefixes in the range 332 through 339. Surely, if I
    >>complain to Verizon that I can't call a 320 number the simple
    >>response will be that such a number doesn't exist.

    > Rather than assuming that Verizon won't be able to help you, why not
    > call them and try to point out the problem? Yeah, maybe you'll get
    > some clue-free script monkey, but maybe all it'll take to fix it will
    > be bringing it to their attention.
    >
    > You could also try logging an error in Skype's system (whatever that
    > is), I'm sure they'll be able to figure it out, in conjunction with
    > Verizon.
    >
    > There's nothing you can do (or anyone can help you with) here other
    > than confirm that something's wrong with Verizon's switch programming,
    > or something in a tandem(?) switch somewhere isn't doing the right
    > thing. Only Verizon (or their trunk sources) can fix this. In fact,
    > I'd bet Verizon is operating the switch that your 320 exchange is on,
    > and reselling it to Skype.

    509-320-XXXX is a valid exchange code used by Level 3.

    http://www.telcodata.us/switchinfo.html?clli=WLWLWA015MD&results=1

    509 - 320
    Starbuck, WA
    WLWLWA015MD