    Does any know if a UK Skype phone (Not a softphone) will work in the
    US?

    Thanks
    77002, Oct 22, 2012

  2. On 10/22/2012 6:18 AM, 77002 wrote:

    > Does any know if a UK Skype phone (Not a softphone) will work in the
    > US?
    >
    > Thanks

    Do you have a specific model of phone in mind?

    If it uses WiFi to get to Skype then the answer should be a yes.
    Same goes if it uses a USB cable to go to a PC.

    If the phone is cellular for non-Skype calls and WiFi for Skype then the
    Skype part should work but the Cellular part will depend on the phone
    and what SIM you can purchase for use in the USA.
    GlowingBlueMist, Oct 22, 2012

  3. 77002

    77002 Guest

    On Oct 22, 2:45 pm, GlowingBlueMist <>
    wrote:
    > On 10/22/2012 6:18 AM, 77002 wrote:
    >
    > > Does any know if a UK Skype phone (Not a softphone) will work in the
    > > US?

    > > Thanks

    > Do you have a specific model of phone in mind?

    I don't know, If this idea will work, I plan to purchase one for this
    specific purpose.

    > If it uses WiFi to get to Skype then the answer should be a yes.
    > Same goes if it uses a USB cable to go to a PC.
    >
    > If the phone is cellular for non-Skype calls and WiFi for Skype then the
    > Skype part should work but the Cellular part will depend on the phone
    > and what SIM you can purchase for use in the USA.

    The need is for something to which I can forward my UK and US Vonage
    numbers while travelling for two weeks. The key word is inexpensive.
    Having seen folks using a Skype 'phone in the UK it seems like a
    possible answer.

    Your input is appreciated.
    77002, Oct 23, 2012
  4. 77002 <> wrote:
    > I don't know, If this idea will work, I plan to purchase one for this
    > specific purpose.
    >
    > The need is for something to which I can forward my UK and US Vonage
    > numbers while travelling for two weeks. The key word is inexpensive.
    > Having seen folks using a Skype 'phone in the UK it seems like a
    > possible answer.

    I'd suggest looking at a basic smartphone that runs a Skype app. The
    trouble with native Skype hardware is that's all it does. For example, if
    you use wifi that needs you to click something to accept the Ts&Cs, there's
    no web browser on the Skypephone to do it with. If Skype upgrade their
    system and the Skypephone stops working, it's useless. If it's a
    smartphone, you can still use it for all the normal smartphone things. You
    can also use it for mobile calls, texts, and other sorts of VOIP (eg cheaper
    for calling landlines and mobiles).

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Oct 23, 2012
  5. 77002

    77002 Guest

    On Oct 23, 7:46 pm, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:
    > On 23/10/2012 12:25, 77002 wrote:
    >
    > > On Oct 22, 2:45 pm, GlowingBlueMist <>
    > > wrote:

    > >> Do you have a specific model of phone in mind?

    > > I don't know, If this idea will work, I plan to purchase one for this
    > > specific purpose.

    > How are you planning on getting your internet while over there?
    > Obviously any such idea will need constant access to the internet to
    > receive calls as they come in otherwise you may as well just dial up a
    > voicemail box and pull off messages then call back numbers.

    Free WiFI at the hotel where I will be staying.

    > If it was me.... I "might" be tempted to see what mobile data plans are
    > available in the US and use a US supplier/SIM for cheapest mobile
    > broadband then if you want to use skype do it with a free app. on your
    > mobile (smart) phone. presuming the phone is suitable for the area
    > you're going to.
    >
    > Surely cost is relative to just how important it is that you can receive
    > calls and by what means?

    May just stop by Metro PCS and pick up a cheap 'phone, plus one month
    of service.

    Thanks for your input.
    77002, Oct 24, 2012
  6. 77002

    77002 Guest

    On Oct 23, 8:15 pm, Theo Markettos <>
    wrote:
    > 77002 <> wrote:
    > > I don't know, If this idea will work, I plan to purchase one for this
    > > specific purpose.

    > > The need is for something to which I can forward my UK and US Vonage
    > > numbers while travelling for two weeks.  The key word is inexpensive.
    > > Having seen folks using a Skype 'phone in the UK it seems like a
    > > possible answer.

    > I'd suggest looking at a basic smartphone that runs a Skype app.  The
    > trouble with native Skype hardware is that's all it does.  For example,if
    > you use wifi that needs you to click something to accept the Ts&Cs, there's
    > no web browser on the Skypephone to do it with.  If Skype upgrade their
    > system and the Skypephone stops working, it's useless.  If it's a
    > smartphone, you can still use it for all the normal smartphone things.  You
    > can also use it for mobile calls, texts, and other sorts of VOIP (eg cheaper
    > for calling landlines and mobiles).

    Thanks. I have an Android. I had planned to leave it in the UK. It
    has service with Vodfone.I do not want to be stung with roaming
    charges.

    Maybe a cheap cellphone and a month's service will be a better option.
    77002, Oct 24, 2012
  7. 77002 <> wrote:
    > Thanks. I have an Android. I had planned to leave it in the UK. It
    > has service with Vodfone.I do not want to be stung with roaming
    > charges.
    >
    > Maybe a cheap cellphone and a month's service will be a better option.

    'Skypephones', except for a very few carrier-supported versions, are all
    wifi phones. They don't do cellular. So an Android phone is just the same.
    If you're worried about roaming charges you can do some combination of:

    Turn off cellular data roaming
    Turn off cellular data completely
    Remove the SIM card

    The phone should still work without a SIM card, but has no way of talking to
    the mobile network - so no charges.

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Oct 24, 2012
  8. 77002

    Roger Mills Guest

    On 24/10/2012 15:12, Theo Markettos wrote:

    > 'Skypephones', except for a very few carrier-supported versions, are all
    > wifi phones. They don't do cellular.

    My '3' Skypephone does cellular - but I doubt whether that would work
    outside the UK.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    Roger Mills, Oct 24, 2012
  9. Roger Mills <> wrote:
    > My '3' Skypephone does cellular - but I doubt whether that would work
    > outside the UK.

    That's what I meant by carrier-supported - it uses some servers from Three.
    The Skype function won't even work on another UK network.

    The actual platform they use used to have some non-Three (and non-UK)
    servers you could use for the cost of a mobile call (perhaps in your
    inclusive minutes), but these have now been shut down.

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Oct 24, 2012