Skype

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Roger Dewhurst, Aug 2, 2007.

  1. What do I need in order connect the microphone and speakers of my computer
    to the telephone line in order to be able to use Skype?

    Roger Dewhurst, Aug 2, 2007

  2. Roger Dewhurst

    XPD Guest

    "Roger Dewhurst" <> wrote in message
    news:f8tihu$rgl$...
    > What do I need in order connect the microphone and speakers of my computer
    > to the telephone line in order to be able to use Skype?

    Skype dosent use the phone line......
    All you need to do is plug in a mic and speakers (or headset) and run
    Skype - thats it. Mic input on most sound cards is pink/red.

    If you mean to use Skype for making landline calls, then do the above and
    check the skype site for their SkypeOut service which allows you to call
    landlines (at a cost).

    XPD, Aug 2, 2007

  3. Roger Dewhurst

    sam Guest

    Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    > What do I need in order connect the microphone and speakers of my computer
    > to the telephone line in order to be able to use Skype?

    classic

    sam, Aug 2, 2007
  4. Roger Dewhurst

    -Newsman- Guest

    On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 09:37:28 +1200, "XPD" <>
    wrote:

    >"Roger Dewhurst" <> wrote in message
    >> What do I need in order connect the microphone and speakers of my computer
    >> to the telephone line in order to be able to use Skype?

    >Skype dosent use the phone line......
    >All you need to do is plug in a mic and speakers (or headset) and run
    >Skype - thats it. Mic input on most sound cards is pink/red.
    >
    >If you mean to use Skype for making landline calls, then do the above and
    >check the skype site for their SkypeOut service which allows you to call
    >landlines (at a cost).

    Skype seems to know few limits. Have just found I've been able to
    leave a voicemail message on my Dubai friend's Skype phone.

    How the telcos must love this new technology!

    -Newsman-, Aug 2, 2007
  5. Roger Dewhurst

    -Newsman- Guest

    On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 10:10:12 +1200, sam <> wrote:

    >Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    >> What do I need in order connect the microphone and speakers of my computer
    >> to the telephone line in order to be able to use Skype?

    >classic

    Well, the dear fellow knows all there is to know about climate change
    and global warming, so he must have something going for him!

    -Newsman-, Aug 2, 2007
  6. Roger Dewhurst

    Rob S Guest

    sam wrote:

    > classic

    *plonk*
    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    Little Johnny was a scientist. Little Johnny is no more. For what he
    thought was H2O was H2SO4.

    Rob S, Aug 2, 2007
  7. "XPD" <> wrote in message

    > "Roger Dewhurst" <> wrote in message
    >> What do I need in order connect the microphone and speakers of my
    >> computer to the telephone line in order to be able to use Skype?

    > Skype dosent use the phone line......
    > All you need to do is plug in a mic and speakers (or headset) and run
    > Skype - thats it. Mic input on most sound cards is pink/red.
    >
    > If you mean to use Skype for making landline calls, then do the above and
    > check the skype site for their SkypeOut service which allows you to call
    > landlines (at a cost).

    Thanks. I was expecting some suggestions on the software which enables the
    microphone and speakers installed with the computer to be used in place of a
    telephone handset. I assumed that the Skype software would make use of the
    software that converts the computer into a telephone. Perhaps I did not ask
    quite the right question.

    The computer is, of course, already connected to the telephone line for
    dialup purposes but Skype will not work without the broadband which I expect
    to get in a week or so.

    Roger Dewhurst, Aug 2, 2007
  8. "-Newsman-" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 09:37:28 +1200, "XPD" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > Skype seems to know few limits. Have just found I've been able to
    > leave a voicemail message on my Dubai friend's Skype phone.
    >
    > How the telcos must love this new technology!

    That crossed my mind. How long can it last before the telcos piss on it?

    Roger Dewhurst, Aug 2, 2007
  9. "-Newsman-" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 10:10:12 +1200, sam <> wrote:
    >
    >>Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    >>> What do I need in order connect the microphone and speakers of my
    >>> computer
    >>> to the telephone line in order to be able to use Skype?

    >>classic

    > Well, the dear fellow knows all there is to know about climate change
    > and global warming, so he must have something going for him!

    It is nice to get credit for knowing something about something even if it is
    not about the intricacies of hooking up with Skype.

    Roger Dewhurst, Aug 2, 2007
  10. Roger Dewhurst

    Allistar Guest

    Roger Dewhurst wrote:

    > "-Newsman-" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 09:37:28 +1200, "XPD" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> Skype seems to know few limits. Have just found I've been able to
    >> leave a voicemail message on my Dubai friend's Skype phone.
    >>
    >> How the telcos must love this new technology!

    > That crossed my mind. How long can it last before the telcos piss on it?

    I suspect they do already. Why do you think there's such a low upload
    bandwidth on most home plans?

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Aug 2, 2007
  11. Roger Dewhurst

    frederick Guest

    Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    > "-Newsman-" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 09:37:28 +1200, "XPD" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> Skype seems to know few limits. Have just found I've been able to
    >> leave a voicemail message on my Dubai friend's Skype phone.
    >>
    >> How the telcos must love this new technology!

    > That crossed my mind. How long can it last before the telcos piss on it?

    You can turn that question around a bit.
    "How much of telecom's dithering and obfuscation on all issues relating
    to broadband are motivated by their fear of VOIP?"
    Perhaps they've been pissing on it for years.

    frederick, Aug 2, 2007
  12. Roger Dewhurst

    -Newsman- Guest

    On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 10:39:13 +1200, "Roger Dewhurst"
    <> wrote:

    >"-Newsman-" <> wrote in message

    >>>classic

    >> Well, the dear fellow knows all there is to know about climate change
    >> and global warming, so he must have something going for him!

    >It is nice to get credit for knowing something about something even if it is
    >not about the intricacies of hooking up with Skype.

    I find Skype user-friendly and relatively fumble-free which in most
    matters to do with IT is a blessing. International telco calls are now
    a thing of the past for me since all my overseas friends and rellies
    are well established Skype users.

    To be hands-and-headset free I use a good cardioid mic with decent
    speakers and most times the incoming audio is subjectively good
    "radio" quality - that's on Cable, of course.

    -Newsman-, Aug 3, 2007
  13. "-Newsman-" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 10:39:13 +1200, "Roger Dewhurst"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"-Newsman-" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 10:10:12 +1200, sam <> wrote:
    >>>

    > I find Skype user-friendly and relatively fumble-free which in most
    > matters to do with IT is a blessing. International telco calls are now
    > a thing of the past for me since all my overseas friends and rellies
    > are well established Skype users.
    >
    > To be hands-and-headset free I use a good cardioid mic with decent
    > speakers and most times the incoming audio is subjectively good
    > "radio" quality - that's on Cable, of course.

    I understand that only the initiator of the call needs Skype. The person
    called can use an ordinary telephone.

    Roger Dewhurst, Aug 3, 2007
  14. Roger Dewhurst

    Mike Dee Guest

    "Roger Dewhurst" <> wrote:

    >> To be hands-and-headset free I use a good cardioid mic with
    >> decent speakers and most times the incoming audio is subjectively
    >> good "radio" quality - that's on Cable, of course.

    > I understand that only the initiator of the call needs Skype. The
    > person called can use an ordinary telephone.

    You need the pay-for service "Skype Out" before you can call
    ordinary phones.

    <http://support.skype.com/index.php?_a=knowledgebase&_j=questiondetails&_i=20&nav2=SkypeOut>
    <http://support.skype.com/index.php?_a=knowledgebase&_j=questiondetails&_i=39&nav2=SkypeOut>
    <http://www.skype.com/help/guides/>

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Aug 3, 2007
  15. "Mike Dee" <> wrote in message
    > "Roger Dewhurst" <> wrote:
    >
    >>> To be hands-and-headset free I use a good cardioid mic with
    >>> decent speakers and most times the incoming audio is subjectively
    >>> good "radio" quality - that's on Cable, of course.

    >> I understand that only the initiator of the call needs Skype. The
    >> person called can use an ordinary telephone.
    >>

    > You need the pay-for service "Skype Out" before you can call
    > ordinary phones.

    Is Skype just one of the VOIPs or is it something somewhat different?

    Roger Dewhurst, Aug 3, 2007
  16. Roger Dewhurst

    Mike Dee Guest

    "Roger Dewhurst" <> wrote:

    >> You need the pay-for service "Skype Out" before you can call
    >> ordinary phones.

    > Is Skype just one of the VOIPs or is it something somewhat
    > different?

    It's a bit like a VoIP provider, but it is different, has TXT, IM,
    video and conferencing if you need those features.

    Skype is only free if you make "Skype to Skype" calls. If you want
    to make phone calls with Skype, then you have to obtain the paid for
    Skype service called "Skype Out".

    The paid for service is fairly inexpensive, like around 3 cents a
    minute to talk to someone in Hong Kong sort of thing.

    Read the pages at the links I gave previously. They can tell you
    exactly want you need to know.

    Also look at "What is free and what costs you a little money" page
    <http://www.skype.com/intl/en/products/priceoverview/?currency=AUD&vat=NO#paid>

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Aug 3, 2007
  17. Roger Dewhurst

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Roger Dewhurst" <> wrote in

    > The computer is, of course, already connected to the telephone line
    > for dialup purposes but Skype will not work without the broadband
    > which I expect to get in a week or so.

    If you can get 46666 to 56K connections you can use skype for VOICE only on
    dial up. Forget voice and video without more upload speed.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Aug 3, 2007
  18. In message <f8u634$ueb$>, Roger Dewhurst wrote:

    > Is Skype just one of the VOIPs or is it something somewhat different?

    Skype is a form of VOIP. It's a proprietary form, which means it doesn't
    interoperate with others (except by treating them the same as landlines).

    I personally don't like it. I'd rather stick to standards-based forms of
    VOIP--that is, ones using SIP (Session Initiation Protocol). Systems based
    on a common standard make it much easier to interoperate with each other.

    Then there's also the question of what happens if/when Skype falls over.
    Which seems like it could happen, given the company has never made money
    (as far as I'm aware). Another reason to stick to open standards...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 3, 2007
  19. Roger Dewhurst

    Enkidu Guest

    Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    > "XPD" <> wrote in message
    >> "Roger Dewhurst" <> wrote in message
    >>> What do I need in order connect the microphone and speakers of my
    >>> computer to the telephone line in order to be able to use Skype?

    >> Skype dosent use the phone line......
    >> All you need to do is plug in a mic and speakers (or headset) and run
    >> Skype - thats it. Mic input on most sound cards is pink/red.
    >>
    >> If you mean to use Skype for making landline calls, then do the above and
    >> check the skype site for their SkypeOut service which allows you to call
    >> landlines (at a cost).

    > Thanks. I was expecting some suggestions on the software which enables the
    > microphone and speakers installed with the computer to be used in place of a
    > telephone handset. I assumed that the Skype software would make use of the
    > software that converts the computer into a telephone. Perhaps I did not ask
    > quite the right question.
    >
    > The computer is, of course, already connected to the telephone line for
    > dialup purposes but Skype will not work without the broadband which I expect
    > to get in a week or so.

    Ignore the philistines, Rog. The Skype software should be all that you
    need. It takes care of the connecting of the mike and speakers. It uses
    the Internet, not the local phone network, as XPD implied but did not
    state explicitly. Alternatively you can buy Skype phones, I believe,
    that either plug in to the computer (and essentially combine mike and
    speakers) or to the ADSL modem (in which case the phone acts as a small
    PC with purpose built code built in).

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Aug 3, 2007
  20. Roger Dewhurst

    Enkidu Guest

    Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    > "Mike Dee" <> wrote in message

    >>> I understand that only the initiator of the call needs Skype. The
    >>> person called can use an ordinary telephone.
    >>>

    >> You need the pay-for service "Skype Out" before you can call
    >> ordinary phones.

    > Is Skype just one of the VOIPs or is it something somewhat different?

    Skype *uses* VOIP. The Skype software turns your voice into Internet
    packets and sends them to the recipient (or the Skype gateway to the
    public phone system) via the Internet which is what VOIP is. At the far
    end the IP packets are turned back into sound. VOIP is a (sort of) protocol.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Aug 3, 2007