    speed be the problem?

    Any advice on an alternative camera spec would be greatly appreciated,

    Brian.

    Brian Slater, Apr 1, 2006

  2. Brian Slater

    The Invalid Guest

    On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 08:41:49 +0100, "Brian Slater"
    <> wrote:

    >I am experimenting with a web cam and an 8mb BT Yahoo internet connection.
    >The camera is 300k pixels and has built in microphone.
    >
    >I've already abandoned the mic as the sound is better with a separate mic.
    >But the picture is awful. The movement is slow and jerky and the picture is
    >grainy. Is the problem with the low pixel count or might the broadband
    >speed be the problem?
    >
    >Any advice on an alternative camera spec would be greatly appreciated,
    >
    >Brian.

    I have a 1Mag Broadband connection and it seems to work fine using an
    old Logitech eyeball type of camera.
    When on calls to Oz the received picture from my family can be a bit
    slow but HEY ! Its free

    The Invalid, Apr 1, 2006

  3. Brian Slater

    Brian Slater Guest

    "The Invalid" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 08:41:49 +0100, "Brian Slater"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I am experimenting with a web cam and an 8mb BT Yahoo internet connection.
    >>The camera is 300k pixels and has built in microphone.
    >>
    >>I've already abandoned the mic as the sound is better with a separate mic.
    >>But the picture is awful. The movement is slow and jerky and the picture
    >>is
    >>grainy. Is the problem with the low pixel count or might the broadband
    >>speed be the problem?
    >>
    >>Any advice on an alternative camera spec would be greatly appreciated,
    >>
    >>Brian.
    >>

    > I have a 1Mag Broadband connection and it seems to work fine using an
    > old Logitech eyeball type of camera.
    > When on calls to Oz the received picture from my family can be a bit
    > slow but HEY ! Its free

    Thanks for that. Could you say what the camera spec is eg how many pixels? I
    just wonder if I've gone too low on the camera spec.
    Brian.

    Brian Slater, Apr 1, 2006
  4. Brian Slater

    Bert Guest

    The darker it is in your room, the lower the pricture frame. get enough
    light in to the camera.

    Bert.

    Bert, Apr 1, 2006
  5. In article <>,
    "Brian Slater" <> writes:
    > I am experimenting with a web cam and an 8mb BT Yahoo internet connection.
    > The camera is 300k pixels and has built in microphone.
    >
    > I've already abandoned the mic as the sound is better with a separate mic.
    > But the picture is awful. The movement is slow and jerky and the picture is
    > grainy. Is the problem with the low pixel count or might the broadband
    > speed be the problem?

    I've not tried video over Skype, but I might speculate that the
    problem could be bandwidth of the other Skype nodes (super nodes)
    you are using. If you make your own system a super node by giving
    it a real routable IP address, you might get a better result, but
    you'll also end up relaying lots of phone calls from other Skype
    users who are not using routable IP addresses -- that's how Skype
    works.

    --
    Andrew Gabriel

    Andrew Gabriel, Apr 1, 2006
  6. Brian Slater

    Brian Slater Guest

    "Andrew Gabriel" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "Brian Slater" <> writes:
    >> I am experimenting with a web cam and an 8mb BT Yahoo internet
    >> connection.
    >> The camera is 300k pixels and has built in microphone.
    >>
    >> I've already abandoned the mic as the sound is better with a separate
    >> mic.
    >> But the picture is awful. The movement is slow and jerky and the picture
    >> is
    >> grainy. Is the problem with the low pixel count or might the broadband
    >> speed be the problem?

    > I've not tried video over Skype, but I might speculate that the
    > problem could be bandwidth of the other Skype nodes (super nodes)
    > you are using. If you make your own system a super node by giving
    > it a real routable IP address, you might get a better result, but
    > you'll also end up relaying lots of phone calls from other Skype
    > users who are not using routable IP addresses -- that's how Skype
    > works.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Gabriel

    That doesn't sound too attractive Andrew. Gosh this gets very technical, I
    think I'll stick to tring to get better lighting, has anyone tried those web
    cams with the LED lighting built in?
    Brian.

    Brian Slater, Apr 1, 2006