Skype video question...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by miguellint@yahoo.com, Sep 17, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi all....Have just been playing around with Skype Video for the last
    few days with my brother in Northern Ireland.

    I'm just wondering if anyone here in NZ has managed to get a decent
    watchable video picture using Skype video. Not broadcast quality
    (obviously) but at least "a second generation dub off an old VHS tape
    from the 80's" quality.

    I appreciate it's all down to what kit you've got so if anyone is
    happily using Skype video from NZ could they please let me know their
    specs.

    Such as ISP, up and down speeds, CPU, RAM, OS, Webcam make and model,
    time of call, destination country....pretty much anything you can think
    of.

    For the record, I'm (still happily) with Actrix at 2M/128 on an Athlon
    2.8 running XP with 512MB. The audio is fine but the video is very
    choppy. Not more than a webshot updated every few seconds to be honest.
    My brother has similar computer specs but a faster up/down speed (for
    less money per month too...grrr).

    I was checking my usage graph at Actrix after the call and, for the
    duration of the call, I was maxing out at a full 128 kbits/s. That's a
    full FOUR times faster than dial-up.

    Unbelievable stuff this high-speed internet. Welcome to the future and
    all that :-(

    Regards
    Miguel
    , Sep 17, 2006