    Abo
    BATracer: Browser Based Racing Simulation:
    http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?6q0

    Abo, Apr 11, 2007

  2. Abo

    Colin Wilson Guest

    > Hypothetical question: If a Skype user (no Skypein, so no caller ID) is
    > using Skypeout to make nuisance phone calls to, say, a BT landline, can
    > that user be traced by e.g. the police?
    > Not that I'm considering becoming a heavy breather or anything; just
    > wondering...

    Probably, but it might take an approach by the police to skype to
    release the logs...

    I can't remember the last time I checked the skype T&Cs, but they
    probably allow for the release of such into without a court order,
    BICBW

    Colin Wilson, Apr 11, 2007

  3. Abo

    andy Guest

    On Apr 11, 5:16 pm, Abo <> wrote:
    > Hypothetical question: If a Skype user (no Skypein, so no caller ID) is
    > using Skypeout to make nuisance phone calls to, say, a BT landline, can
    > that user be traced by e.g. the police?
    >
    > Not that I'm considering becoming a heavy breather or anything; just
    > wondering...

    Even if there is a SkypeIn number, it is not sent as caller ID

    as for investigation, I don't know, but as it takes between a week and
    a month or never to get a reply from Skype customer services, I hope
    the Police have a better method of approach, but also bear in mind
    that there could be more than one country involved

    andy, Apr 11, 2007
  4. Abo

    Abo Guest

    andy wrote:
    > On Apr 11, 5:16 pm, Abo <> wrote:
    >> Hypothetical question: If a Skype user (no Skypein, so no caller ID) is
    >> using Skypeout to make nuisance phone calls to, say, a BT landline, can
    >> that user be traced by e.g. the police?
    >>
    >> Not that I'm considering becoming a heavy breather or anything; just
    >> wondering...
    >>

    > Even if there is a SkypeIn number, it is not sent as caller ID

    Didn't know that; I've never used Skypeout

    > that there could be more than one country involved

    Yeah, that's what started me thinking about it. I bet the police would
    get frustrated and give up, unless there was some *serious* crime
    involved. Maybe in that case they'd work with their foreign
    counterparts. There's nothing like a free trip abroad ;)

    Abo, Apr 12, 2007
  5. On 2007-04-12, Abo <> wrote:
    > andy wrote:
    >> that there could be more than one country involved

    > Yeah, that's what started me thinking about it. I bet the police would
    > get frustrated and give up, unless there was some *serious* crime
    > involved. Maybe in that case they'd work with their foreign
    > counterparts. There's nothing like a free trip abroad ;)

    Actually I wouldn't count on this being all that difficult for the
    police. The police wouldn't necessarily know the call came from a Skype
    user, but they'd certainly know which carrier delivered the call to the
    UK phone network (for Skype I think this is Cable & Wireless), and would
    ask them. I doubt Cable & Wireless is limited to Skype's support channel,
    and would probably have a way to obtain the information Skype knows about
    the originator of the call for law enforcement purposes. I don't know
    about the UK, but in other countries it wouldn't be legal for a
    carrier to deliver calls for Skype if a call's origin couldn't be
    located by the carrier in a reasonable hurry.

    Dennis Ferguson

    Dennis Ferguson, Apr 13, 2007
  6. Abo

    Joe Harrison Guest