Skype to Zoom X5V Global Village VOIP line

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by huLLy, Oct 17, 2006.

  1. huLLy

    huLLy Guest

    As above, can I use Skype to dial my Global Village VOIP number?

    Cheers,

    --
    huLLy
    07976 123278
    "Sliced bread makes me sneeze"
    huLLy, Oct 17, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. huLLy

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "huLLy" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > As above, can I use Skype to dial my Global Village VOIP
    > number?
    > Cheers,


    Yes, but not for free.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Oct 17, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. huLLy

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-10-17, huLLy <> wrote:

    > As above, can I use Skype to dial my Global Village VOIP number?


    If by 'VOIP number' you mean the seven digit Global Village SIP number
    it is not possible. At least not directly and not without having Skype
    and a helper program running.

    Now if you are talking about a DID number supplied by Global Village
    there should be no problem with that.

    Brian.
    Brian, Oct 17, 2006
    #3
  4. huLLy

    huLLy Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > On 2006-10-17, huLLy <> wrote:
    >
    >> As above, can I use Skype to dial my Global Village VOIP number?

    >
    > If by 'VOIP number' you mean the seven digit Global Village SIP number
    > it is not possible. At least not directly and not without having Skype
    > and a helper program running.
    >
    > Now if you are talking about a DID number supplied by Global Village
    > there should be no problem with that.
    >
    > Brian.


    Rather annoying that Skype can't call VOIP numbers free... I guess they are
    protecting their own. Maybe it will be a feature added later in the programs
    evolution.

    Cheers to all that replied.

    --
    huLLy
    07976 123278
    "Sliced bread makes me sneeze"
    huLLy, Oct 18, 2006
    #4
  5. huLLy

    Scope Guest

    huLLy wrote:
    > Rather annoying that Skype can't call VOIP numbers free... I guess they are
    > protecting their own. Maybe it will be a feature added later in the programs
    > evolution.
    >
    > Cheers to all that replied.
    >

    Skype is all about making money, and I doubt very much they will add
    this feature. This is one of the reasons many of us dont choose Skype;
    you are locked into one provider and have to pay once you want to call
    anybody else.
    Scope, Oct 18, 2006
    #5
  6. huLLy

    The Invalid Guest

    On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:42:16 +0100, Scope <> wrote:

    >huLLy wrote:
    >> Rather annoying that Skype can't call VOIP numbers free... I guess they are
    >> protecting their own. Maybe it will be a feature added later in the programs
    >> evolution.
    >>
    >> Cheers to all that replied.
    >>

    >Skype is all about making money, and I doubt very much they will add
    >this feature.


    You doubt but you don't know.
    It costs me nothing to call and use a video link to relatives and
    friends in Australia, the US and France.
    Why should I want anything else? to speak to nurds about bandwidth and
    bits and bytes?
    Dream on


    >This is one of the reasons many of us dont choose Skype;
    >you are locked into one provider and have to pay once you want to call
    >anybody else.


    No the reason many techies don't use it is because it works without
    having to make hundreds of posts explaining to other poor sods how to
    fix their problems
    The Invalid, Oct 18, 2006
    #6
  7. The Invalid wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:42:16 +0100, Scope <> wrote:
    >
    >> huLLy wrote:
    >>> Rather annoying that Skype can't call VOIP numbers free... I guess they are
    >>> protecting their own. Maybe it will be a feature added later in the programs
    >>> evolution.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers to all that replied.
    >>>

    >> Skype is all about making money, and I doubt very much they will add
    >> this feature.

    >
    > You doubt but you don't know.
    > It costs me nothing to call and use a video link to relatives and
    > friends in Australia, the US and France.
    > Why should I want anything else? to speak to nurds about bandwidth and
    > bits and bytes?
    > Dream on
    >

    Err, afaik you can make video calls using all the VoIP services available.
    >
    >> This is one of the reasons many of us dont choose Skype;
    >> you are locked into one provider and have to pay once you want to call
    >> anybody else.

    >
    > No the reason many techies don't use it is because it works without
    > having to make hundreds of posts explaining to other poor sods how to
    > fix their problems
    >

    So it's not the bandwidth hogging caused by the software turning anyone
    with more than a reasonable connection into a hub for directing
    controlling traffic.

    (Actually it's probably more the lack of a standards-based solution, a
    lack of peering agreements and the way it can't work with enum).
    Thomas Kenyon, Oct 18, 2006
    #7
  8. huLLy

    Scope Guest

    The Invalid wrote:
    > You doubt but you don't know.
    > It costs me nothing to call and use a video link to relatives and
    > friends in Australia, the US and France.
    > Why should I want anything else?


    Correct me if I am wrong, but for free you can only call other Skype
    users!? Not everybody uses Skype, in fact, I hardly know anybody myself
    who uses Skype. With VoIP, using the right VoIP provider I can call any
    landline in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, US (mobile and landline),
    and so on, for FREE..

    I can call my grandma who certainly wouldnt have Skype, or my doctor to
    make an appointment (coz I doubt very much they have a skype machine
    running), the shop to order something, the list goes one.. I am free to
    call whoever I wish, not just other Skype users.. To me that sounds way
    more interesting than being able to connect my USB phone/headset to my
    computer to avoid having to configure my ATA.

    I know you can call to landlines using Skype aswell, but then we are
    back to the original point I was trying to make.. Its all about money then.
    Scope, Oct 18, 2006
    #8
  9. huLLy

    Martin² Guest

    Scope:
    >With VoIP, using the right VoIP provider I can call any landline in Europe,
    >Australia, New Zealand, US (mobile and landline), and so on, for FREE..


    Which provider, please ?
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², Oct 19, 2006
    #9
  10. huLLy

    Paul G Guest

    "Martin²" <> wrote in message
    news:4536c917$0$8747$...
    > Which provider, please ?
    > Regards,
    > Martin


    voipstunt
    voipcheap

    Paul
    Paul G, Oct 19, 2006
    #10
  11. huLLy

    Martin² Guest

    Paul:
    >voipstunt
    >voipcheap


    Thought so. They are NOT FREE any more (only in CPW speak !).
    You have buy credit every 120 days !
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², Oct 20, 2006
    #11
  12. Thus spaketh Martin²:
    > Paul:
    >> voipstunt
    >> voipcheap

    >
    > Thought so. They are NOT FREE any more (only in CPW speak !).
    > You have buy credit every 120 days !
    > Regards,
    > Martin


    Yes, but that credit isn't wasted on 'free calls' you can still use that
    credit on chargeable calls, therefore if you used all your credit on
    chargeable calls, you can still call the 'free' destinations. This
    differs from the likes of Vonage where you have to pay for the inclusive
    calls, you pay your £8 and that's gone, you can't use that £8 for
    anything else.


    --
    DVD rental: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/dvd
    PAYG Mobile Offers: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/payg
    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Oct 24, 2006
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. George Dishman

    Testing a new setup - Zoom X5V

    George Dishman, Dec 18, 2004, in forum: VOIP
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    572
    George Dishman
    Dec 19, 2004
  2. Mr Flipflops

    Zoom X5V (Global Village)

    Mr Flipflops, Oct 9, 2005, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    562
    Mr Flipflops
    Oct 10, 2005
  3. linker3000
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    659
    alexd
    May 27, 2006
  4. Hoffa
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    686
    Hoffa
    Oct 25, 2006
  5. Hoffa
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,482
    Walter Roberson
    Oct 25, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page