    individual users. Are there any alternatives, and if so, how do I
    set them up?

    John
    John, Feb 11, 2010

  2. John

    Mr Benn Guest

    Mr Benn, Feb 11, 2010

  3. In article <hl0qpt$jlk$-september.org>,
    Mr Benn <> wrote:
    >"John" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I've been following the excellent tutorial provided by Graham to set
    >> up a Skype to SIP Gateway, for use with a Skypephone S2.
    >>
    >> http://www.skypegateway.webs.com/
    >>
    >> However, it seems that Orbtalk no longer provide free UK numbers to
    >> individual users. Are there any alternatives, and if so, how do I
    >> set them up?

    >Have you considered the SIP for Skype service?
    >
    >http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/business/products/pbx-systems/sip/

    It never ceases to amaze me the effort people will make just to get a
    free phone call or 2! The gatway mentioned above really does take some
    effort to put together, not to mention requiring a PC running all the
    time, and the management of 2 different VoIP accounts!

    The SIP to Skype services are all commercial - It's highly unlikely
    people looking for a free gateway will pay £5.11 per month (inv VAT)
    for such a service.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Feb 11, 2010
  4. John

    Graham. Guest

    "Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message news:hl0ttu$1mod$...
    > In article <hl0qpt$jlk$-september.org>,
    > Mr Benn <> wrote:
    >>"John" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I've been following the excellent tutorial provided by Graham to set
    >>> up a Skype to SIP Gateway, for use with a Skypephone S2.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.skypegateway.webs.com/
    >>>
    >>> However, it seems that Orbtalk no longer provide free UK numbers to
    >>> individual users. Are there any alternatives, and if so, how do I
    >>> set them up?

    >>Have you considered the SIP for Skype service?
    >>
    >>http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/business/products/pbx-systems/sip/

    > It never ceases to amaze me the effort people will make just to get a
    > free phone call or 2! The gatway mentioned above really does take some
    > effort to put together, not to mention requiring a PC running all the
    > time, and the management of 2 different VoIP accounts!

    It's true my father was a canny Scott, consequently I am predisposed to watch the pennies,
    but it seems to me that the ability to make calls at Betamax rates from a PAYG mobile
    with no credit is worth leaving your home PC on for, especially if it was going to
    run 24/7 for other reasons.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Feb 11, 2010
  5. John

    Steve Terry Guest

    "Graham." <> wrote in message
    > "Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <hl0qpt$jlk$-september.org>,
    >> Mr Benn <> wrote:
    >>>"John" <> wrote in message

    >>>Have you considered the SIP for Skype service?
    >>>http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/business/products/pbx-systems/sip/

    >> It never ceases to amaze me the effort people will make just to get a
    >> free phone call or 2! The gatway mentioned above really does take some
    >> effort to put together, not to mention requiring a PC running all the
    >> time, and the management of 2 different VoIP accounts!

    > It's true my father was a canny Scott, consequently I am predisposed to
    > watch the pennies,
    > but it seems to me that the ability to make calls at Betamax rates from a
    > PAYG mobile
    > with no credit is worth leaving your home PC on for, especially if it was
    > going to
    > run 24/7 for other reasons.
    > Graham.

    Can't argue with that, but as John said, got an alternative to Orbtalk
    for a cheap or free phone number?

    Anyone?

    Steve Terry
    --
    Get a free Three 3pay Sim with £2 bonus after £10 top up
    http://freeagent.three.co.uk/stand/view/id/5276
    Steve Terry, Feb 11, 2010
  6. John

    Paulg0 Guest

    "Steve Terry" <> wrote in message

    > Can't argue with that, but as John said, got an alternative to Orbtalk
    > for a cheap or free phone number?
    >
    > Anyone?
    >
    > Steve Terry

    http://www.coms.com/numbers.html

    Paul
    Paulg0, Feb 11, 2010
  7. John

    Graham. Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message news:...

    > I've been following the excellent tutorial provided by Graham to set
    > up a Skype to SIP Gateway, for use with a Skypephone S2.
    >
    > http://www.skypegateway.webs.com/
    >
    > However, it seems that Orbtalk no longer provide free UK numbers to
    > individual users. Are there any alternatives, and if so, how do I
    > set them up?
    >
    > John

    Mmm, ISWYM.
    This is bad news I just tried calling a Sipgate and a Tesco account by SIP URI
    and confirmed that it doesn't work.
    __But_ just_a_ minute__
    the solution has been here all along an I failed to see it
    The Betamax trunk we are using for outgoing calls... no reason at all why
    we shouldn't use it for the incoming leg as well, and I know you can call it
    by URI.
    In short, I have overcomplicated the project unnecessarily.
    So, get rid of the Orbtalk trunk and its corresponding inbound route in pbxes,
    and simply create a new inbound route with the same name as the Betamax trunk,
    and send it to "callthrough PIN"

    The entry in SkypeToSisAuth.props will now look something like this:
    *,sip::5060

    or replace the * with the Skype name if you want to limit it to known users, (which you will).
    I will update http://skypegateway.webs.com when I get time.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Feb 11, 2010
  8. John

    andy Guest

    On 11 Feb, 20:58, "Graham." <> wrote:

    > Mmm, ISWYM.
    > This is bad news I just tried calling a Sipgate and a Tesco account by SIP URI
    > and confirmed that it doesn't work.
    > __But_ just_a_ minute__
    > the solution has been here all along an I failed to see it
    > The Betamax trunk we are using for outgoing calls... no reason at all why
    > we shouldn't use it for the incoming leg as well, and I know you can call it
    > by URI.
    > In short, I have overcomplicated the project unnecessarily.
    > So, get rid of the Orbtalk trunk and its corresponding inbound route in pbxes,
    > and simply create a new inbound route with the same name as the Betamax trunk,
    > and send it to "callthrough PIN"

    Try it, but like Sipgate, Betamax brands do not accept incoming calls
    to the SIP URI from all or even that many providers

    It would be good to get this going without a PC running. I think it's
    possible.
    andy, Feb 11, 2010
  9. John

    Steve Terry Guest

    "andy" <> wrote in message
    > On 11 Feb, 20:58, "Graham." <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mmm, ISWYM.
    >> This is bad news I just tried calling a Sipgate and a Tesco account by
    >> SIP URI
    >> and confirmed that it doesn't work.
    >> __But_ just_a_ minute__
    >> the solution has been here all along an I failed to see it
    >> The Betamax trunk we are using for outgoing calls... no reason at all why
    >> we shouldn't use it for the incoming leg as well, and I know you can call
    >> it
    >> by URI.
    >> In short, I have overcomplicated the project unnecessarily.
    >> So, get rid of the Orbtalk trunk and its corresponding inbound route in
    >> pbxes,
    >> and simply create a new inbound route with the same name as the Betamax
    >> trunk,
    >> and send it to "callthrough PIN"

    > Try it, but like Sipgate, Betamax brands do not accept incoming calls
    > to the SIP URI from all or even that many providers

    I suspected that might be the case

    > It would be good to get this going without a PC running. I think it's
    > possible.

    An indirect provider could supply a call-back service to a Skype call,
    like rebtel
    http://blog.rebtel.com/2009/12/03/rebtel-introduces-computer-calls/

    The problem is finding one that will do it cheaply

    Steve Terry
    Steve Terry, Feb 12, 2010
  10. John

    Graham. Guest

    "andy" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On 11 Feb, 20:58, "Graham." <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mmm, ISWYM.
    >> This is bad news I just tried calling a Sipgate and a Tesco account by SIP URI
    >> and confirmed that it doesn't work.
    >> __But_ just_a_ minute__
    >> the solution has been here all along an I failed to see it
    >> The Betamax trunk we are using for outgoing calls... no reason at all why
    >> we shouldn't use it for the incoming leg as well, and I know you can call it
    >> by URI.
    >> In short, I have overcomplicated the project unnecessarily.
    >> So, get rid of the Orbtalk trunk and its corresponding inbound route in pbxes,
    >> and simply create a new inbound route with the same name as the Betamax trunk,
    >> and send it to "callthrough PIN"

    > Try it, but like Sipgate, Betamax brands do not accept incoming calls
    > to the SIP URI from all or even that many providers

    The call is not coming from a provider, its origanated in the SIP client running on the PC

    > It would be good to get this going without a PC running. I think it's
    > possible.

    It's certainly possible, you've just got to ask what's in it for those hosting such
    a system in a data-centre.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Feb 12, 2010
  11. John

    Steve Terry Guest

    "Graham." <> wrote in message
    > "andy" <> wrote in message
    >> On 11 Feb, 20:58, "Graham." <> wrote:
    >>> Mmm, ISWYM.
    >>> This is bad news I just tried calling a Sipgate and a Tesco account by
    >>> SIP URI
    >>> and confirmed that it doesn't work.
    >>> __But_ just_a_ minute__
    >>> the solution has been here all along an I failed to see it
    >>> The Betamax trunk we are using for outgoing calls... no reason at all
    >>> why
    >>> we shouldn't use it for the incoming leg as well, and I know you can
    >>> call it
    >>> by URI.
    >>> In short, I have overcomplicated the project unnecessarily.
    >>> So, get rid of the Orbtalk trunk and its corresponding inbound route in
    >>> pbxes,
    >>> and simply create a new inbound route with the same name as the Betamax
    >>> trunk,
    >>> and send it to "callthrough PIN"

    >> Try it, but like Sipgate, Betamax brands do not accept incoming calls
    >> to the SIP URI from all or even that many providers

    > The call is not coming from a provider, its origanated in the SIP client
    > running on the PC
    >>
    >> It would be good to get this going without a PC running. I think it's
    >> possible.

    > It's certainly possible, you've just got to ask what's in it for those
    > hosting such
    > a system in a data-centre.
    > Graham.

    If i had some dosh i'd set up an indirect provider Co (like 1899.com)
    but based in Scotland with a Three access number.
    (3Pay users get 5000 inc mins)

    Then in 6 months when the final demands come in from Three for
    connection charges, and whichever Telco provided the switch.
    Declare bankruptcy and take the first plane out to Rio with the
    suitcase of money made from my subscribers. :))

    No i wouldn't to do such a thing, planned bankruptcy is fraud
    and so illegal

    Steve Terry
    Steve Terry, Feb 12, 2010
  12. In article <hl1hre$m53$-september.org>,
    Graham. <> wrote:

    >"Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <hl0qpt$jlk$-september.org>,
    >> Mr Benn <> wrote:
    >>>"John" <> wrote in message

    >>>Have you considered the SIP for Skype service?
    >>>
    >>>http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/business/products/pbx-systems/sip/

    >> It never ceases to amaze me the effort people will make just to get a
    >> free phone call or 2! The gatway mentioned above really does take some
    >> effort to put together, not to mention requiring a PC running all the
    >> time, and the management of 2 different VoIP accounts!

    >It's true my father was a canny Scott, consequently I am predisposed to
    >watch the pennies,

    Well I actually am a Scott, although having lived in the SW of Engurland
    for the past 20 years or so, that may have tempered me "Scottishness"
    somewhat!!

    >but it seems to me that the ability to make calls at Betamax rates from
    >a PAYG mobile
    >with no credit is worth leaving your home PC on for, especially if it
    >was going to
    >run 24/7 for other reasons.

    So the challenge is to make a call from a mobile with no credit, but
    one with a Skype client built in that will allow you to make Skype
    calls with no credit...

    Er, OK - good luck! If it works for you and all that...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Feb 12, 2010
  13. John

    John Guest

    On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 20:58:17 -0000, "Graham." <> wrote:

    >Mmm, ISWYM.
    >This is bad news I just tried calling a Sipgate and a Tesco account by SIP URI
    >and confirmed that it doesn't work.
    >__But_ just_a_ minute__
    >the solution has been here all along an I failed to see it
    >The Betamax trunk we are using for outgoing calls... no reason at all why
    >we shouldn't use it for the incoming leg as well, and I know you can call it
    >by URI.
    >In short, I have overcomplicated the project unnecessarily.
    >So, get rid of the Orbtalk trunk and its corresponding inbound route in pbxes,
    >and simply create a new inbound route with the same name as the Betamax trunk,
    >and send it to "callthrough PIN"
    >
    >The entry in SkypeToSisAuth.props will now look something like this:
    >*,sip::5060
    >
    >or replace the * with the Skype name if you want to limit it to known users, (which you will).
    >I will update http://skypegateway.webs.com when I get time.

    Thanks Graham - I think I understand enough now to be able to set-up
    sometime over the weekend.

    John
    John, Feb 12, 2010
  14. John

    Roger Guest

    "Graham." <> wrote in message

    > "John" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I've been following the excellent tutorial provided by Graham to set
    >> up a Skype to SIP Gateway, for use with a Skypephone S2.
    >>
    >> http://www.skypegateway.webs.com/
    >>
    >> However, it seems that Orbtalk no longer provide free UK numbers to
    >> individual users. Are there any alternatives, and if so, how do I
    >> set them up?
    >>
    >> John

    > Mmm, ISWYM.
    > This is bad news I just tried calling a Sipgate and a Tesco account by SIP
    > URI
    > and confirmed that it doesn't work.
    > __But_ just_a_ minute__
    > the solution has been here all along an I failed to see it
    > The Betamax trunk we are using for outgoing calls... no reason at all why
    > we shouldn't use it for the incoming leg as well, and I know you can call
    > it
    > by URI.
    > In short, I have overcomplicated the project unnecessarily.
    > So, get rid of the Orbtalk trunk and its corresponding inbound route in
    > pbxes,
    > and simply create a new inbound route with the same name as the Betamax
    > trunk,
    > and send it to "callthrough PIN"
    >
    > The entry in SkypeToSisAuth.props will now look something like this:
    > *,sip::5060
    >
    > or replace the * with the Skype name if you want to limit it to known
    > users, (which you will).
    > I will update http://skypegateway.webs.com when I get time.
    >
    > --
    > Graham.
    >
    > %Profound_observation%

    When sipgate first closed down their sip network to outside sip calls you
    still used to be able to connect by dialling
    instead of - might be worth trying if this still
    works
    Roger, Feb 12, 2010
  15. John

    Graham. Guest

    "Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message news:hl2sof$1rr1$...
    > In article <hl1hre$m53$-september.org>,
    > Graham. <> wrote:
    >>

    >>"Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message

    >>> It never ceases to amaze me the effort people will make just to get a
    >>> free phone call or 2! The gatway mentioned above really does take some
    >>> effort to put together, not to mention requiring a PC running all the
    >>> time, and the management of 2 different VoIP accounts!

    >>It's true my father was a canny Scott, consequently I am predisposed to
    >>watch the pennies,

    > Well I actually am a Scott, although having lived in the SW of Engurland
    > for the past 20 years or so, that may have tempered me "Scottishness"
    > somewhat!!

    You'll have had your tea?

    >>but it seems to me that the ability to make calls at Betamax rates from
    >>a PAYG mobile
    >>with no credit is worth leaving your home PC on for, especially if it
    >>was going to
    >>run 24/7 for other reasons.

    > So the challenge is to make a call from a mobile with no credit, but
    > one with a Skype client built in that will allow you to make Skype
    > calls with no credit...

    > Er, OK - good luck! If it works for you and all that...

    Son #1 commenced academic sojourn at the end of September, armed with a 3 Skypephone
    S2, and has made all his calls via the Skype to SIP gateway running on a PC here.

    More a Holy Grail than a challenge :)

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Feb 12, 2010
  16. John

    Graham. Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 20:58:17 -0000, "Graham." <> wrote:
    >>
    >>Mmm, ISWYM.
    >>This is bad news I just tried calling a Sipgate and a Tesco account by SIP URI
    >>and confirmed that it doesn't work.
    >>__But_ just_a_ minute__
    >>the solution has been here all along an I failed to see it
    >>The Betamax trunk we are using for outgoing calls... no reason at all why
    >>we shouldn't use it for the incoming leg as well, and I know you can call it
    >>by URI.
    >>In short, I have overcomplicated the project unnecessarily.
    >>So, get rid of the Orbtalk trunk and its corresponding inbound route in pbxes,
    >>and simply create a new inbound route with the same name as the Betamax trunk,
    >>and send it to "callthrough PIN"
    >>
    >>The entry in SkypeToSisAuth.props will now look something like this:
    >>*,sip::5060
    >>
    >>or replace the * with the Skype name if you want to limit it to known users, (which you will).
    >>I will update http://skypegateway.webs.com when I get time.

    > Thanks Graham - I think I understand enough now to be able to set-up
    > sometime over the weekend.
    >
    > John

    Well it's about time someone in this grouptried it ;-)
    Let me know how you get on, especially if you find a better/different way to do it.

    The idea of using the Betamax account for the incoming leg did work for a while,
    but does nor seem to be reliable, I think it is losing its registration or something..

    I seem to have found a good substitute for Orbtalk though, try localphone.com
    You need to register an account, log into it, then click on the VOIP button at
    the top of the page, then "upgrade to VOIP" on the next page, you will then see your
    SIP id (7 digit number) and password (8 alpha-numeric characters) and the URI is in
    the form of

    Localphone do not seem to do free UK PSTN number so the SIP ID you
    get doesn't relate to anything you can dial from the PSTN which is security advantage here.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Feb 13, 2010
  17. John

    John Guest

    On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 17:15:13 -0000, "Graham." <> wrote:

    >> Thanks Graham - I think I understand enough now to be able to set-up
    >> sometime over the weekend.
    >>
    >> John

    >Well it's about time someone in this grouptried it ;-)
    >Let me know how you get on, especially if you find a better/different way to do it.

    I've managed to set up a working system (outgoing calls), but only by
    following your directions! Thanks again for the help.

    Obviously I don't get the Smartvoip freedays due to the shared IP
    address, but that is only a minor drawback.

    John
    John, Feb 19, 2010
  18. John

    Graham. Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 17:15:13 -0000, "Graham." <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Thanks Graham - I think I understand enough now to be able to set-up
    >>> sometime over the weekend.
    >>>
    >>> John

    >>Well it's about time someone in this grouptried it ;-)
    >>Let me know how you get on, especially if you find a better/different way to do it.

    > I've managed to set up a working system (outgoing calls), but only by
    > following your directions! Thanks again for the help.
    >
    > Obviously I don't get the Smartvoip freedays due to the shared IP
    > address, but that is only a minor drawback.

    Yes all of us with Betamax accounts on pbxes are competing for the same
    300 min :)
    Of course in "personal data" you can change your country, which also changes the data-centre
    where your account is hosted...
    ....Maybe Tokyo has less competition... Maybe more latency... Maybe I should keep quiet.
    Actually have been on Paris for the recent past, and most of my UK landline calls still are free surprisingly.

    Here is an enhansment that will give you single digit speed-dials 1-9 (zero will probebly work as well)

    Paste this into the "custom dial patterns" of the outbound route that points to the smartvoip trunk
    00.
    01.
    02.
    03.
    07.

    Then paste this into dial rules of the smartvoip trunk. Replace the 1234567890 with your favourite 9 numbers
    00441234567890+1|
    00441234567890+2|
    00441234567890+3|
    00441234567890+4|
    00441234567890+5|
    00441234567890+6|
    00441234567890+7|
    00441234567890+8|
    00441234567890+9|
    0044+0|1.
    0044+0|2.
    0044+0|3.
    0044+0|7.

    Notice that 08 numbers are not catered for here yet, I have a Sipgate trunk that handles 0800 0808 & 0500
    but as yet I have made no provision for 0870 0845 etc.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Feb 19, 2010
  19. John

    David Knell Guest

    On Feb 11, 4:37 am, John <> wrote:

    > However, it seems that Orbtalk no longer provide free UK numbers to
    > individual users.    Are there any alternatives, and if so, how do I
    > set them up?

    Have a look at http://www.ukddi.com - free UK geographic numbers
    routed wherever you like over SIP, IAX2 or H.323

    I should declare an interest in this in that I run it..

    --Dave
    David Knell, Feb 22, 2010
  20. John

    Graham. Guest

    "David Knell" <> wrote in message news:...
    On Feb 11, 4:37 am, John <> wrote:

    > However, it seems that Orbtalk no longer provide free UK numbers to
    > individual users. Are there any alternatives, and if so, how do I
    > set them up?

    Have a look at http://www.ukddi.com - free UK geographic numbers
    routed wherever you like over SIP, IAX2 or H.323

    I should declare an interest in this in that I run it..

    --Dave
    And you are most welcome here.

    I take it the IVR is not operational yet.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Feb 22, 2010