Skype to SIP gateway

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Graham., Sep 20, 2009.

  1. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    The preferred URL for my notes on the Skype to SIP gateway is now

    www.skypegateway.webs.com

    My son will be testing it during Freshers week starting tomorrow morning.
    Hopefully the cost of mobile phone calls will be one less thing for him to
    worry about.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Sep 20, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. "Graham." <> wrote in message
    news:h950li$odf$-september.org...
    > The preferred URL for my notes on the Skype to SIP gateway is now
    >
    > www.skypegateway.webs.com
    >
    > My son will be testing it during Freshers week starting tomorrow morning.
    > Hopefully the cost of mobile phone calls will be one less thing for him to
    > worry about.


    I have a much easier solution:
    My local (Belgian) VOIP Provider (http://weepeetelecom.eu/) runs a Skype to
    SIP Gateway.
    * Incoming Skype calls:
    My Skype account is linked to my WeePee VOIP account. In Skype, my name is
    disaplyed as "on-line"
    All incoming Skype calls just ring my normal phones at home (connected to my
    FritzBox)
    If you have Skype, just try to add and call me on "philippe.deleye.weepee"
    ....
    * Outgoing Skype calls:
    Via a usertool on my VOIP Provider's website, I can asign shortcodes to
    Skype users
    Dialling this shotcode from my normal phone (connected to my FritzBox), I
    dial to any Skype user who is on-line

    Note
    If you call me via Skype you will be hearing my Voicemail.
    This becasue I am blocking all incoming anonymous calls and forwarding to my
    VoiceMail
    ... and Skype calls are displayed without calling-ID, hence also blocked by
    my FritzBox ;)

    Philippe
    Philippe Deleye, Sep 20, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Graham.

    Roger Mills Guest

    In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    Philippe Deleye <> wrote:

    > "Graham." <> wrote in message
    > news:h950li$odf$-september.org...
    >> The preferred URL for my notes on the Skype to SIP gateway is now
    >>
    >> www.skypegateway.webs.com
    >>
    >> My son will be testing it during Freshers week starting tomorrow
    >> morning. Hopefully the cost of mobile phone calls will be one less
    >> thing for him to worry about.

    >
    > I have a much easier solution:
    > My local (Belgian) VOIP Provider (http://weepeetelecom.eu/) runs a
    > Skype to SIP Gateway.
    > * Incoming Skype calls:
    > My Skype account is linked to my WeePee VOIP account. In Skype, my
    > name is disaplyed as "on-line"
    > All incoming Skype calls just ring my normal phones at home
    > (connected to my FritzBox)
    > If you have Skype, just try to add and call me on
    > "philippe.deleye.weepee" ...
    > * Outgoing Skype calls:
    > Via a usertool on my VOIP Provider's website, I can asign shortcodes
    > to Skype users
    > Dialling this shotcode from my normal phone (connected to my
    > FritzBox), I dial to any Skype user who is on-line
    >
    > Note
    > If you call me via Skype you will be hearing my Voicemail.
    > This becasue I am blocking all incoming anonymous calls and
    > forwarding to my VoiceMail
    > ... and Skype calls are displayed without calling-ID, hence also
    > blocked by my FritzBox ;)
    >
    > Philippe


    Unless I'm mistaken, your solution does not solve the OP's problem.

    You appear to be able to make and receive Skype calls via your normal house
    phone - which is fine, but *not* what the OP wants to do.

    The OP is able to make a *free* call on a Skype *mobile* phone, which gets
    diverted to the desired landline or mobile phone recipient - and is charged
    at *VoIP* rates rather than much higher mobile phone rates.

    Maybe you don't have the same problem with high moble phone call rates in
    Belgium?
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    ______
    Email address maintained for newsgroup use only, and not regularly
    monitored.. Messages sent to it may not be read for several weeks.
    PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!
    Roger Mills, Sep 20, 2009
    #3
  4. Graham.

    Roger Mills Guest

    In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    Graham. <> wrote:

    > The preferred URL for my notes on the Skype to SIP gateway is now
    >
    > www.skypegateway.webs.com
    >
    > My son will be testing it during Freshers week starting tomorrow
    > morning. Hopefully the cost of mobile phone calls will be one less
    > thing for him to worry about.



    It's getting there! A few remaining comments . . .

    When you say "OK if you wasn't to duplicate what I have done start here:" I
    presume that "wasn't" should read "want"?

    The "Manage API Access Control" graphic still overlaps 3 lines of text when
    using Firefox, Google Chrome or Netscape Navigator - although it's ok in
    MSIE!

    Who is "Allison Smith" (and does she work 24*7)?
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    ______
    Email address maintained for newsgroup use only, and not regularly
    monitored.. Messages sent to it may not be read for several weeks.
    PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!
    Roger Mills, Sep 20, 2009
    #4
  5. Graham.

    Ian Pawson Guest

    Roger Mills wrote:
    > In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    > Graham. <> wrote:
    >
    >> The preferred URL for my notes on the Skype to SIP gateway is now
    >>
    >> www.skypegateway.webs.com
    >>
    >> My son will be testing it during Freshers week starting tomorrow
    >> morning. Hopefully the cost of mobile phone calls will be one less
    >> thing for him to worry about.

    >
    >
    > It's getting there! A few remaining comments . . .
    >
    > When you say "OK if you wasn't to duplicate what I have done start here:" I
    > presume that "wasn't" should read "want"?
    >
    > The "Manage API Access Control" graphic still overlaps 3 lines of text when
    > using Firefox, Google Chrome or Netscape Navigator - although it's ok in
    > MSIE!
    >
    > Who is "Allison Smith" (and does she work 24*7)?


    Ok here with Firefox 3.5.2 under Ubuntu 9.04. The only problem is that
    the text at the bottom of the page (Last updated...) is unreadable due
    to the text colour used on the grey background.
    Ian Pawson, Sep 21, 2009
    #5
  6. Roger Mills <> wrote in <>:
    > In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    > Graham. <> wrote:


    >> The preferred URL for my notes on the Skype to SIP gateway is now
    >>
    >> www.skypegateway.webs.com


    > The "Manage API Access Control" graphic still overlaps 3 lines of text when
    > using Firefox, Google Chrome or Netscape Navigator - although it's ok in
    > MSIE!


    Mozilla also shows some weird overlaps in text and images.

    > Who is "Allison Smith" (and does she work 24*7)?


    Almost... http://www.theivrvoice.com/

    Koos

    --
    Koos van den Hout Homepage: http://idefix.net/~koos/
    PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 or RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5
    Webprojects: Camp Wireless http://www.camp-wireless.org/
    The Virtual Bookcase http://www.virtualbookcase.com/
    Koos van den Hout, Sep 21, 2009
    #6
  7. Graham.

    Roger Mills Guest

    In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    Koos van den Hout <4all.nl> wrote:

    > Roger Mills <> wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    >> Who is "Allison Smith" (and does she work 24*7)?

    >
    > Almost... http://www.theivrvoice.com/
    >
    > Koos



    Ugh!
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    ______
    Email address maintained for newsgroup use only, and not regularly
    monitored.. Messages sent to it may not be read for several weeks.
    PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!
    Roger Mills, Sep 21, 2009
    #7
  8. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    "Roger Mills" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    > Koos van den Hout <4all.nl> wrote:
    >
    >> Roger Mills <> wrote in
    >> <>:
    >>
    >>> Who is "Allison Smith" (and does she work 24*7)?

    >>
    >> Almost... http://www.theivrvoice.com/
    >>
    >> Koos

    >
    >
    > Ugh!

    That would be a press 2 for "no" then?

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Sep 21, 2009
    #8
  9. Graham.

    Roger Mills Guest

    In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    Graham. <> wrote:

    > "Roger Mills" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    >> Koos van den Hout <4all.nl> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Roger Mills <> wrote in
    >>> <>:
    >>>
    >>>> Who is "Allison Smith" (and does she work 24*7)?
    >>>
    >>> Almost... http://www.theivrvoice.com/
    >>>
    >>> Koos

    >>
    >>
    >> Ugh!

    > That would be a press 2 for "no" then?



    Something like that! <g>
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    ______
    Email address maintained for newsgroup use only, and not regularly
    monitored.. Messages sent to it may not be read for several weeks.
    PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!
    Roger Mills, Sep 21, 2009
    #9
  10. Graham.

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 08:22:56 UTC, Ian Pawson <> wrote:

    > Ok here with Firefox 3.5.2 under Ubuntu 9.04. The only problem is that
    > the text at the bottom of the page (Last updated...) is unreadable due
    > to the text colour used on the grey background.


    Firefox 2 and *all* the images are overlaying text - ot the other way
    around.
    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville
    Dave Saville, Sep 22, 2009
    #10
  11. Graham.

    Ivor Jones Guest

    On 21/09/09 22:39, Roger Mills wrote:
    > In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    > Graham.<> wrote:
    >
    >> "Roger Mills"<> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    >>> Koos van den Hout<4all.nl> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Roger Mills<> wrote in
    >>>> <>:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Who is "Allison Smith" (and does she work 24*7)?
    >>>>
    >>>> Almost... http://www.theivrvoice.com/
    >>>>
    >>>> Koos
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Ugh!

    >> That would be a press 2 for "no" then?

    >
    >
    > Something like that!<g>


    She looks ok to me, maybe I'm missing something..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 22, 2009
    #11
  12. Graham.

    Roger Mills Guest

    In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    Ivor Jones <> wrote:

    > On 21/09/09 22:39, Roger Mills wrote:
    >> In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    >> Graham.<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Roger Mills"<> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>> In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    >>>> Koos van den Hout<4all.nl> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Roger Mills<> wrote in
    >>>>> <>:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Who is "Allison Smith" (and does she work 24*7)?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Almost... http://www.theivrvoice.com/
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Koos
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Ugh!
    >>> That would be a press 2 for "no" then?

    >>
    >>
    >> Something like that!<g>

    >
    > She looks ok to me, maybe I'm missing something..!
    >
    > Ivor


    You presumably haven't *heard* her? [Clue: listen to the samples in the
    'theivrvoice' link above!]
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    ______
    Email address maintained for newsgroup use only, and not regularly
    monitored.. Messages sent to it may not be read for several weeks.
    PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!
    Roger Mills, Sep 22, 2009
    #12
  13. Graham.

    Ivor Jones Guest

    On 22/09/09 21:41, Roger Mills wrote:
    > In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    > Ivor Jones<> wrote:
    >
    >> On 21/09/09 22:39, Roger Mills wrote:
    >>> In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    >>> Graham.<> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> "Roger Mills"<> wrote in message
    >>>> news:...
    >>>>> In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    >>>>> Koos van den Hout<4all.nl> wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Roger Mills<> wrote in
    >>>>>> <>:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Who is "Allison Smith" (and does she work 24*7)?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Almost... http://www.theivrvoice.com/
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Koos
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Ugh!
    >>>> That would be a press 2 for "no" then?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Something like that!<g>

    >>
    >> She looks ok to me, maybe I'm missing something..!
    >>
    >> Ivor

    >
    > You presumably haven't *heard* her? [Clue: listen to the samples in the
    > 'theivrvoice' link above!]


    So..? She sounds no different from a million and one other Americans..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 22, 2009
    #13
  14. Roger Mills <> wrote in <>:

    [ About Alison Smith ]

    > You presumably haven't *heard* her? [Clue: listen to the samples in the
    > 'theivrvoice' link above!]


    Anybody who has played with the default sounds in asterisk has heard her,
    she did the female voice in all the sample sound files.
    That's why there are jokes about Alison telling something.

    (oh no, now I had to ruin the joke and explain it)

    Koos

    --
    The Virtual Bookcase, the site about books, book | Koos van den Hout
    news and reviews http://www.virtualbookcase.com/ | http://idefix.net/~koos/
    PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 or RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5|
    Koos van den Hout, Sep 23, 2009
    #14
  15. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    "Koos van den Hout" <4all.nl> wrote in message
    news:h9cns2$9rt$4all.nl...
    > Roger Mills <> wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    > [ About Alison Smith ]
    >
    >> You presumably haven't *heard* her? [Clue: listen to the samples in the
    >> 'theivrvoice' link above!]

    >
    > Anybody who has played with the default sounds in asterisk has heard her,
    > she did the female voice in all the sample sound files.
    > That's why there are jokes about Alison telling something.
    >
    > (oh no, now I had to ruin the joke and explain it)
    >
    > Koos


    Well yes, practically all English speakers in the developed world would
    have heard her voice, but only a tiny fraction of 1 percent could name her.

    Likewise, everyone in the UK will have heard the woman that voices the
    BT announcements, but how many could name her? I couldn't, and after
    a quick Google I am still non the wiser.

    The speaking clock is a different matter, all those voices are celebrated
    if not celebrities.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Sep 23, 2009
    #15
  16. Graham.

    Roger Mills Guest

    In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    Graham. <> wrote:

    >
    > Well yes, practically all English speakers in the developed world
    > would have heard her voice, but only a tiny fraction of 1 percent
    > could name her.

    But how many *English* - as opposed to *American* - speakers would want her
    as the voice of *their* phones?
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    ______
    Email address maintained for newsgroup use only, and not regularly
    monitored.. Messages sent to it may not be read for several weeks.
    PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!
    Roger Mills, Sep 23, 2009
    #16
  17. Graham.

    alexd Guest

    Roger Mills wrote:

    > But how many *English* - as opposed to *American* - speakers would want
    > her as the voice of *their* phones?


    How many English speakers are likely to give a ****?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    18:25:25 up 25 days, 20:14, 7 users, load average: 0.65, 0.44, 0.26
    Qua illic est accuso, illic est a vindicatum
    alexd, Sep 23, 2009
    #17
  18. Graham.

    Graham. Guest


    > Roger Mills wrote:
    >
    >> But how many *English* - as opposed to *American* - speakers would want
    >> her as the voice of *their* phones?

    >
    > How many English speakers are likely to give a ****?


    I tend to agree, with one reservation. "The pound key".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_sign

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Sep 23, 2009
    #18
  19. Graham.

    Steve Terry Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > "Graham." <> wrote in message
    > news:h950li$odf$-september.org...
    >> The preferred URL for my notes on the Skype to SIP gateway is now
    >>
    >> www.skypegateway.webs.com
    >>
    >> My son will be testing it during Freshers week starting tomorrow morning.
    >> Hopefully the cost of mobile phone calls will be one less thing for him
    >> to worry about.

    >
    > Thanks for the nice 'tutorial' Graham.
    >
    > I'm a bit of a tight-wad regarding mobile phones, having the opinion that
    > calling to/from them is generally a rip-off, so on the strength of what
    > you have explained on here, I've just taken delivery of a 3-Skyphone S2.
    >
    > If I get time this weekend I'll be following your instructions on 'how to
    > beat the system' !
    > Rob
    >

    You won't regret it, i'm sending this from my laptop using a S2,
    on 5quid per month internet add on to 3pay.

    Unbelievably good phone for the money, especially with 11quid
    cashback from Quidco

    http://www.quidco.com/3-mobile/
    (First £5 per year taken as fee)

    Steve Terry
    Steve Terry, Sep 25, 2009
    #19
  20. Graham.

    Steve Terry Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > "Steve Terry" <> wrote in message
    > news:h9irte$c1h$...
    >> "Rob" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> "Graham." <> wrote in message
    >>> news:h950li$odf$-september.org...

    <snip>
    > I'm in the process of searching online for info on whether or not the S2
    > will accept a memory card (Micro SD) larger than the 4GB max quoted on
    > some sites (I'd prefer to go for an 8GB or larger if possible), but I've
    > not found anything to that effect yet.
    >
    >

    I wouldn't know, the largest i've used is 2gb, it only has a 3mb camera
    so a very high capacity micro SD isn't really needed.

    Steve Terry
    Steve Terry, Sep 26, 2009
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. dianasun via HWKB.com
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,557
    alkis
    Sep 14, 2009
  2. dianasun
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    893
    spammersarevermin
    Nov 17, 2005
  3. Rebeccaliu
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,441
    Rebeccaliu
    Nov 1, 2006
  4. Inman Harvey

    What prevents a SIP <=> Skype Gateway?

    Inman Harvey, Oct 18, 2006, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    508
    PeterW
    Oct 23, 2006
  5. John

    Skype to SIP Gateway

    John, Feb 11, 2010, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    27
    Views:
    3,591
    darrenk
    Mar 2, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page