Skype to New Zealand

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by news, Feb 11, 2006.

  1. news

    news Guest

    I have been trying to talk to my daughter in New Zealand using video
    Skype beta 2.0.0.63, under Win XP Home. I am on broadband in the UK, but
    unfortunately she is still on 56 kbps dialup.

    The connection starts off well -- excellent picture and acceptable audio
    -- but after a few seconds the audio starts to break up badly, and my
    daughter sounds as if she is overdosing on a mixture of mogadon and
    helium!

    Then, after about 30 seconds, the connection automatically terminates.

    This is repeated every time we connect.

    I assume that Skype is automatically terminating the connection because
    the audio is broken up so badly. (I don't have any problems talking to
    other people overseas, but they are all on broadband).

    Is there anything in Skype we can twiddle to improve things? Connection
    timeout? Codec?

    --
    Ian
    news, Feb 11, 2006

  2. news

    Jono Guest

    news laid this down on his screen :
    > I have been trying to talk to my daughter in New Zealand using video Skype
    > beta 2.0.0.63, under Win XP Home. I am on broadband in the UK, but
    > unfortunately she is still on 56 kbps dialup.
    >
    > The connection starts off well -- excellent picture and acceptable audio --
    > but after a few seconds the audio starts to break up badly, and my daughter
    > sounds as if she is overdosing on a mixture of mogadon and helium!
    >
    > Then, after about 30 seconds, the connection automatically terminates.
    >
    > This is repeated every time we connect.
    >
    > I assume that Skype is automatically terminating the connection because the
    > audio is broken up so badly. (I don't have any problems talking to other
    > people overseas, but they are all on broadband).
    >
    > Is there anything in Skype we can twiddle to improve things? Connection
    > timeout? Codec?

    Voice alone will consume virtually all(if not all) the dial-up
    bandwidth & you're sending video as well?
    Jono, Feb 11, 2006

  3. news

    Sean Guest

    I'm not sure about Skype, But Google Talk is very good at keeping
    quailty as good as can be, changing codecs when needed itself.

    Does not do Video though.. Very good voice :)
    Sean, Feb 12, 2006
  4. news

    Me Guest

    If you are not too worried about the video, why not just ring her on
    her normal land line with Voipstunt (www.voipstunt.com).

    Me

    Me, Feb 12, 2006
  5. news

    Nick Guest

    "news" <> wrote in message
    > I have been trying to talk to my daughter in New Zealand using video
    > Skype beta 2.0.0.63, under Win XP Home. I am on broadband in the UK, but
    > unfortunately she is still on 56 kbps dialup.
    >
    > The connection starts off well -- excellent picture and acceptable audio
    > -- but after a few seconds the audio starts to break up badly, and my
    > daughter sounds as if she is overdosing on a mixture of mogadon and
    > helium!
    >
    > Then, after about 30 seconds, the connection automatically terminates.
    >
    > This is repeated every time we connect.
    >
    > I assume that Skype is automatically terminating the connection because
    > the audio is broken up so badly. (I don't have any problems talking to
    > other people overseas, but they are all on broadband).
    >
    > Is there anything in Skype we can twiddle to improve things? Connection
    > timeout? Codec?
    >
    > --
    > Ian

    Why try to achieve something the program
    clearly states isn't possible?

    You can lead a horse to water etc.
    Nick, Feb 12, 2006
  6. news

    news Guest

    In message <>, Me <>
    writes
    >If you are not too worried about the video, why not just ring her on
    >her normal land line with Voipstunt (www.voipstunt.com).

    We already use VoIP extensively for all our voice calls. No problem
    there.

    But we also want to give our grandchildren the opportunity to see their
    grandparents as well (and the other way round, of course :))

    --
    Ian
    news, Feb 12, 2006
  7. news

    news Guest

    In message <2qzHf.87322$>, Nick
    <> writes

    >Why try to achieve something the program
    >clearly states isn't possible?
    >
    >You can lead a horse to water etc.

    Saying that something "isn't possible" is the sign of a closed mind.
    Where would mankind be today if we stopped trying to do things because
    they were deemed "impossible"?

    In any case, where does it say that it isn't possible?

    --
    Ian
    news, Feb 12, 2006
  8. news

    paul123 Guest

    paul123, Feb 12, 2006
  9. news

    news Guest

    news, Feb 12, 2006
  10. "news" <> wrote in message
    > In message <2qzHf.87322$>, Nick
    > <> writes
    >>
    >>Why try to achieve something the program
    >>clearly states isn't possible?
    >>
    >>You can lead a horse to water etc.
    >>

    > Saying that something "isn't possible" is the sign of a closed mind. Where
    > would mankind be today if we stopped trying to do things because they were
    > deemed "impossible"?
    >
    > In any case, where does it say that it isn't possible?
    >

    > --
    > Ian

    The bandwidth of dialup is perfectly adequate for voice.

    It is balefully inadequate for video. Even ISDN gives very poor results and
    there you get 64kbps both ways rather than the 32<->40kbps typical on dial
    up.

    Trying to do both is going beyond the limits of physics - Shannon's Law see:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon-Hartley_theorem

    of course if they get broadband or even ISDN2 (and aggregate the channels)
    then you might just get a serviceable channel - choose a low resolution
    image in black and white.

    BTW it always amazes me that people whose children move to the far side of
    the world never realise that there is an underlying reason... So don't
    expect an upgrade at their end soon.
    R. Mark Clayton, Feb 12, 2006