    Are there cheaper ways of calling via VOIP from a Notebook on wifi to
    a UK mobile no.?

    CJB.

    CJB, May 28, 2012

  2. CJB

    CJB Guest

    On May 28, 3:20 pm, CJB <> wrote:
    > WOW!!!! I've just made a call on my Notebook at the South Bank (free
    > wifi) using Skype credit to a local Giffgaff no. Skype charged me
    > £1.50 for a mere 4 minutes!!!!
    >
    > Since MS took over Skype the costs have rocketed - and the quality is
    > a dreadful as ever.
    >
    > Are there cheaper ways of calling via VOIP from a Notebook on wifi to
    > a UK mobile no.?
    >
    > CJB.

    Here's the actual transaction;

    May 28 15:07 +44giffgaffno , United Kingdom - Mobile - O2 Call £0.149
    (£0.17 with VAT) 06:06 min (rounded up to 7 mins) = £1.120

    So the charge was 17p per minute. + 8p connection

    On the Skype prices page it states:

    United Kingdom - Mobile - O2 14.9p (no VAT) 17.1p (ncl. VAT) + 8p
    connection fee

    SO THAT'S EXPENSIVE AND NOT TO BE REPEATED.

    CJB.

    CJB, May 28, 2012

  3. CJB

    David Hearn Guest

    On 28/05/2012 15:20, CJB wrote:
    > WOW!!!! I've just made a call on my Notebook at the South Bank (free
    > wifi) using Skype credit to a local Giffgaff no. Skype charged me
    > £1.50 for a mere 4 minutes!!!!
    >
    > Since MS took over Skype the costs have rocketed - and the quality is
    > a dreadful as ever.
    >
    > Are there cheaper ways of calling via VOIP from a Notebook on wifi to
    > a UK mobile no.?
    >
    > CJB.

    Skype say these are their current charges to call a UK mobile number:

    United Kingdom - Mobile - Hutchison3G 14.9p
    United Kingdom - Mobile - O2 14.9p
    United Kingdom - Mobile - Orange 14.9p
    United Kingdom - Mobile - Others 14.9p
    United Kingdom - Mobile - T-Mobile 14.9p
    United Kingdom - Mobile - Vodafone 14.9p

    What number range were you calling?

    David Hearn, May 28, 2012
  4. CJB

    Chris Davies Guest

    In uk.telecom.mobile CJB <> wrote:
    > Are there cheaper ways of calling via VOIP from a Notebook on wifi to
    > a UK mobile no.?

    Yes!

    Voipcheap.co.uk is quoting 2.3p/min inc. VAT; CallPirates.com is 1.8p/min
    (inc.); and VoipJumper.com is 2.2p/min (inc.). Each suggests you download
    and install their own application, but none of them really requires
    this. However, it does make it nice and straightforward. If you have a
    preferred SIP application you can use that for calling, as well.

    The cheapest rate I've seen today is 1.6p/min (inc.) from VoipYo, but
    that appears to require its own application installed on a smartphone.

    (All rates taken from respective websites, and linked from the comparison
    site at http://progx.ch/home-voip-prixbetamax-3-4-2.html)

    Chris

    Chris Davies, May 28, 2012
  5. CJB

    SB Guest

    On May 28, 4:51 pm, Chris Davies <> wrote:
    > In uk.telecom.mobile CJB <> wrote:
    >
    > > Are there cheaper ways of calling via VOIP from a Notebook on wifi to
    > > a UK mobile no.?

    > Yes!
    >
    > Voipcheap.co.uk is quoting 2.3p/min inc. VAT; CallPirates.com is 1.8p/min
    > (inc.); and VoipJumper.com is 2.2p/min (inc.). Each suggests you download
    > and install their own application, but none of them really requires
    > this. However, it does make it nice and straightforward. If you have a
    > preferred SIP application you can use that for calling, as well.
    >
    > The cheapest rate I've seen today is 1.6p/min (inc.) from VoipYo, but
    > that appears to require its own application installed on a smartphone.
    >
    > (All rates taken from respective websites, and linked from the comparison
    > site athttp://progx.ch/home-voip-prixbetamax-3-4-2.html)
    >
    > Chris

    Thank you for those tips.

    Skype seems to be charging as much as many mobile telcos. And the call
    quality of Skype leaves much to be desired for the price. Also if a
    call drops out and then has to be reconnected Skye charges another
    connection fee. Not good. But then think who the current owner is!!.

    CJB.

    SB, May 29, 2012
  6. SB wrote:

    > Skype seems to be charging as much as many mobile telcos. And the call
    > quality of Skype leaves much to be desired for the price. Also if a#

    A significant part of the cost of a call to a UK mobile will be the
    interconnect charge from the destination network. That will apply to
    everyone. Skype may not be big enough to negotiate a particularly good
    deal, and the mobile networks may want to discourage Skype.

    Note that in the US, this cost is born by the called party, so would be
    independent of where the call originated.

    David Woolley, May 29, 2012
  7. CJB

    Loony Guest

    On 29/05/2012 09:31, Roderick Stewart wrote:
    > In article<be8fc4f5-6e8d-4e72-bc76-
    > >, Sb wrote:
    >> Skype seems to be charging as much as many mobile telcos. And the call
    >> quality of Skype leaves much to be desired for the price. Also if a
    >> call drops out and then has to be reconnected Skye charges another
    >> connection fee. Not good. But then think who the current owner is!!.

    > So far, the only thing anyone in my family has used Skype for is video
    > conversations with distant relatives. As this is absolutely free, it
    > seems very good value no matter who owns it.
    >
    > Rod.

    Wait until the new Skype managers have finished their big tasks. Then
    they will very likely put the squeeze on the non-payers. I have had a
    Skype on my computer for years but I never did buy the phone system. Now
    I'm glad I didn't. I think there will be better values coming. I
    have signed up with VoIP. Do you know anything about it?

    Loony, May 29, 2012
  8. CJB

    Brian Mc Guest

    In uk.telecom.broadband Roderick Stewart <> wrote:
    : So far, the only thing anyone in my family has used Skype for is video
    : conversations with distant relatives. As this is absolutely free, it
    : seems very good value no matter who owns it.

    When I was in Canada recently I found Skype-out to a UK landline (at ~4p/pm)
    very useful - when compared to the 110p/pm that Orange would have charged
    for the same calsl using my roaming mobile!

    Brian Mc, May 29, 2012
  9. CJB

    Roland Perry Guest

    In message <>, at 12:57:10 on Tue, 29 May
    2012, Loony <> remarked:
    >Wait until the new Skype managers have finished their big tasks. Then
    >they will very likely put the squeeze on the non-payers.

    That'll be the final nail in the coffin then. Most of my Skype activity
    (IM) has moved from Skype to Twitter DM, anyway.
    --
    Roland Perry

    Roland Perry, May 29, 2012
  10. CJB

    Graham. Guest

    On Tue, 29 May 2012 05:45:01 +0100, David Woolley
    <> wrote:

    >SB wrote:
    >

    >> Skype seems to be charging as much as many mobile telcos. And the call
    >> quality of Skype leaves much to be desired for the price. Also if a#

    >A significant part of the cost of a call to a UK mobile will be the
    >interconnect charge from the destination network. That will apply to
    >everyone. Skype may not be big enough to negotiate a particularly good
    >deal, and the mobile networks may want to discourage Skype.
    >
    >Note that in the US, this cost is born by the called party, so would be
    >independent of where the call originated.
    >
    >> call drops out and then has to be reconnected Skye charges another
    >> connection fee. Not good. But then think who the current owner is!!.

    I'm not sure about Skype not being big enough, I mean most people I
    know have at least heard of Skype, even if they don't know you can use
    it to make calls to the PSTN.

    Few if any people I know will have heard of Betamax other than in the
    context of video recording, and as for Dellmont Sarl, they probably
    think it sounds like an investment bank.
    So how come this company can undercut Skype?

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., May 29, 2012
  11. In uk.telecom.voip Brian Mc <> wrote:
    > When I was in Canada recently I found Skype-out to a UK landline (at ~4p/pm)
    > very useful - when compared to the 110p/pm that Orange would have charged
    > for the same calsl using my roaming mobile!

    When /I/ was in Canada recently I found Voipgain to a UK landline (at 0p/pm)
    very useful. And it worked from my phone too.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, May 30, 2012
  12. CJB

    Steve Terry Guest

    CJB wrote:
    > WOW!!!! I've just made a call on my Notebook at the South Bank (free
    > wifi) using Skype credit to a local Giffgaff no. Skype charged me
    > £1.50 for a mere 4 minutes!!!!
    >
    > Since MS took over Skype the costs have rocketed - and the quality is
    > a dreadful as ever.
    > Are there cheaper ways of calling via VOIP from a Notebook on wifi to
    > a UK mobile no.?
    > CJB.

    I use Skype for Skype to Skype calls, including to and from my
    Skype S2 phone.
    I wouldn't dream of using Skype to call a mobile phone.

    check out:
    http://backsla.sh/betamax

    one of the cheapest
    http://www.voipgain.com/en/index.html

    Steve Terry
    --
    Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and £5 bonus after activation at:
    http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gfourwwk

    Steve Terry, May 30, 2012
  13. CJB

    Brian Mc Guest

    In uk.telecom.broadband Theo Markettos <> wrote:
    : > When I was in Canada recently I found Skype-out to a UK landline (at ~4p/pm)
    : > very useful - when compared to the 110p/pm that Orange would have charged
    : > for the same calsl using my roaming mobile!

    : When /I/ was in Canada recently I found Voipgain to a UK landline (at 0p/pm)
    : very useful. And it worked from my phone too.

    First time I have heard of this lot!!! I will certainly investigate further!

    Brian Mc, May 30, 2012
  14. In uk.telecom.voip Brian Mc <> wrote:
    > In uk.telecom.broadband Theo Markettos <> wrote:
    > : When /I/ was in Canada recently I found Voipgain to a UK landline (at 0p/pm)
    > : very useful. And it worked from my phone too.
    >
    > First time I have heard of this lot!!! I will certainly investigate further!

    I was being slightly facetious by not mentioning the qualifiers, but it did
    work for me. The qualifiers are that the Betamax/Dellmont/Finarea offerings
    have 'freedays': you topup £10 and you get some number of 'freedays' (exact
    number various by brand, but something like 120). Some subset of cheap
    destinations (eg landlines in developed countries) are then free for the
    appointed period. After that period they're not free, but still cheap (eg
    1p/min).

    And the bit about working on my phone is also not quite the whole story...
    it's a phone running Android 2.3 which supports SIP natively - you can
    choose whether an outgoing call is a mobile call or an internet call. Put
    in the Voipgain/etc details for internet calling, and it just works.
    Assuming you have decent wifi, which I did. If you don't have a smartphone,
    a laptop/tablet/etc would do just as well with the appropriate voip app.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, May 30, 2012
  15. Theo Markettos wrote:
    > In uk.telecom.voip Brian Mc <> wrote:
    >> In uk.telecom.broadband Theo Markettos <> wrote:
    >> : When /I/ was in Canada recently I found Voipgain to a UK landline (at 0p/pm)
    >> : very useful. And it worked from my phone too.
    >>
    >> First time I have heard of this lot!!! I will certainly investigate further!

    > I was being slightly facetious by not mentioning the qualifiers, but it did
    > work for me. The qualifiers are that the Betamax/Dellmont/Finarea offerings
    > have 'freedays': you topup £10 and you get some number of 'freedays' (exact
    > number various by brand, but something like 120). Some subset of cheap
    > destinations (eg landlines in developed countries) are then free for the
    > appointed period. After that period they're not free, but still cheap (eg
    > 1p/min).
    >
    > And the bit about working on my phone is also not quite the whole story...
    > it's a phone running Android 2.3 which supports SIP natively - you can
    > choose whether an outgoing call is a mobile call or an internet call. Put
    > in the Voipgain/etc details for internet calling, and it just works.
    > Assuming you have decent wifi, which I did. If you don't have a smartphone,
    > a laptop/tablet/etc would do just as well with the appropriate voip app.
    >
    > Theo

    Probably a bit late but SIPGATE offers a PAYG SIP gateway to other services.

    Not sure how the charges compare.

    and how hard it is to achieve it.

    The Natural Philosopher, May 30, 2012
  16. CJB

    Graham. Guest

    On Wed, 30 May 2012 12:55:22 +0100, "Steve Terry" <>
    wrote:

    >CJB wrote:
    >> WOW!!!! I've just made a call on my Notebook at the South Bank (free
    >> wifi) using Skype credit to a local Giffgaff no. Skype charged me
    >> £1.50 for a mere 4 minutes!!!!
    >>
    >> Since MS took over Skype the costs have rocketed - and the quality is
    >> a dreadful as ever.
    >> Are there cheaper ways of calling via VOIP from a Notebook on wifi to
    >> a UK mobile no.?
    >> CJB.
    >>

    >I use Skype for Skype to Skype calls, including to and from my
    >Skype S2 phone.
    >I wouldn't dream of using Skype to call a mobile phone.
    >
    >check out:
    >http://backsla.sh/betamax
    >
    >one of the cheapest
    >http://www.voipgain.com/en/index.html
    >
    >Steve Terry

    I call mobiles with an S2 using a Skype to SIP gateway that currently
    runs in an XP Pro virtual machine on this Win 7 computer.
    Calls are routed via voipcheap.co.uk

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%