    It could be great to use it towards New Zealand ! I sent this message from
    France.
    Thanks
    JMG, May 21, 2004

  2. JMG

    -[Myth]- Guest

    > hi,
    > Just to know if you use skype software as phone on IP ? I'm going to make
    > tests next week with friends who are in San Francisco, Tahiti and Vancouver.
    > It could be great to use it towards New Zealand ! I sent this message from
    > France.
    > Thanks

    I have used it to other people on the same connection as mine (128k up and
    down) and got perfect quality(better than phone), and almost no latency
    (ping between us was avg 120ms). However i've found at least one user must
    have non firewalled internet access, or UDP and TCP ports open for it to
    work properly. The confernence calls introduced in the newer version also
    work fine.
    -[Myth]-, May 21, 2004

  3. JMG

    ~misfit~ Guest

    >> hi,
    >> Just to know if you use skype software as phone on IP ? I'm going to
    >> make tests next week with friends who are in San Francisco, Tahiti
    >> and Vancouver. It could be great to use it towards New Zealand ! I
    >> sent this message from France.
    >> Thanks
    >
    > I have used it to other people on the same connection as mine (128k
    > up and down) and got perfect quality(better than phone), and almost
    > no latency (ping between us was avg 120ms). However i've found at
    > least one user must have non firewalled internet access, or UDP and
    > TCP ports open for it to work properly. The confernence calls
    > introduced in the newer version also work fine.

    So you're saying it's a waste of time me trying it on my 56k dial-up? I was
    just thinking about trying it but hate installing software that doesn't work
    them having to uninstall it, maybe messing up the registry. The missus likes
    to talk to her family but we can't afford too many toll-calls, I was going
    to try it then go install it on their machine (also dail-up).

    Thanks,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, May 21, 2004
  4. JMG

    colinco Guest

    In article <1tq73dauhah56$.aqcghnbkzqhf$>,
    ve says...
    > I have used it to other people on the same connection as mine (128k up and
    > down) and got perfect quality(better than phone), and almost no latency
    > (ping between us was avg 120ms).

    And how much delay was involved in processing the signal at each end?
    Probably another 100-150ms at least. For comparison a normal phone with
    no processing delay has only 9ms delay Wgtn to Auckland.
    colinco, May 21, 2004
  5. JMG

    XPD Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > > I have used it to other people on the same connection as mine (128k
    > > up and down) and got perfect quality(better than phone), and almost
    > > no latency (ping between us was avg 120ms). However i've found at
    > > least one user must have non firewalled internet access, or UDP and
    > > TCP ports open for it to work properly. The confernence calls
    > > introduced in the newer version also work fine.

    > So you're saying it's a waste of time me trying it on my 56k dial-up? I

    was
    > just thinking about trying it but hate installing software that doesn't

    work
    > them having to uninstall it, maybe messing up the registry. The missus

    likes
    > to talk to her family but we can't afford too many toll-calls, I was going
    > to try it then go install it on their machine (also dail-up).

    Err he didnt say anywhere that it wasnt worth it on dialup :)
    I have heard reports that its fine on decent dial ups (ie: 40k+ connection)
    XPD, May 21, 2004
  6. JMG

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Sat, 22 May 2004 09:14:08 +1200, colinco wrote:

    > In article <1tq73dauhah56$.aqcghnbkzqhf$>,
    > ve says...
    >> I have used it to other people on the same connection as mine (128k up and
    >> down) and got perfect quality(better than phone), and almost no latency
    >> (ping between us was avg 120ms).
    >>

    > And how much delay was involved in processing the signal at each end?
    > Probably another 100-150ms at least. For comparison a normal phone with
    > no processing delay has only 9ms delay Wgtn to Auckland.

    once i tried it with normal phone at the same time, ie headphones on one
    ear, phone on the other, and skype only had a tiny bit more delay, not
    noticable during a conversation, this was from auckland to tauranga.
    -[Myth]-, May 21, 2004
  7. JMG

    ~misfit~ Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have used it to other people on the same connection as mine (128k
    >>> up and down) and got perfect quality(better than phone), and almost
    >>> no latency (ping between us was avg 120ms). However i've found at
    >>> least one user must have non firewalled internet access, or UDP and
    >>> TCP ports open for it to work properly. The confernence calls
    >>> introduced in the newer version also work fine.

    >> So you're saying it's a waste of time me trying it on my 56k
    >> dial-up? I was just thinking about trying it but hate installing
    >> software that doesn't work them having to uninstall it, maybe
    >> messing up the registry. The missus likes to talk to her family but
    >> we can't afford too many toll-calls, I was going to try it then go
    >> install it on their machine (also dail-up).

    > Err he didnt say anywhere that it wasnt worth it on dialup :)
    > I have heard reports that its fine on decent dial ups (ie: 40k+
    > connection)

    I know, I was inferring. Thanks for the info.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, May 22, 2004
  8. JMG

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "-[Myth]-" <> wrote in

    > once i tried it with normal phone at the same time, ie headphones on one
    > ear, phone on the other, and skype only had a tiny bit more delay, not
    > noticable during a conversation, this was from auckland to tauranga.

    I cannot believe the call quality to Vancouver from Christchurch using
    Skype. Better than the telephone! Granted, we both have cable modems and
    headsets...
    Works great to Japan too.
    It is miles better that MSN Messenger or Netmeeting.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 22, 2004
  9. JMG

    steve Guest

    > hi,
    > Just to know if you use skype software as phone on IP ? I'm going to make
    > tests next week with friends who are in San Francisco, Tahiti and Vancouver.
    > It could be great to use it towards New Zealand ! I sent this message from
    > France.
    > Thanks

    Apparently, it works on Win98SE even though it is targeted for Win2k and
    XP.

    At least, one person has told me they have it running OK.
    steve, May 22, 2004
  10. JMG

    bambam Guest

    On Sat, 22 May 2004 03:55:03 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > was just thinking about trying it but hate installing software that
    > doesn't work them having to uninstall it, maybe messing up the registry.

    Have you ever thought of using an install monitor? Perfect for people who
    like to play around with different software. Here is a link to a really
    good freeware one, if you want to have a play-

    http://www.pricelessware.org/2004/PL2004SYSTEMUTILITIES.htm#A734
    bambam, May 22, 2004
  11. JMG

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Sat, 22 May 2004 22:26:42 +1200, bambam wrote:

    > On Sat, 22 May 2004 03:55:03 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> was just thinking about trying it but hate installing software that
    >> doesn't work them having to uninstall it, maybe messing up the registry.

    > Have you ever thought of using an install monitor? Perfect for people who
    > like to play around with different software. Here is a link to a really
    > good freeware one, if you want to have a play-
    >
    > http://www.pricelessware.org/2004/PL2004SYSTEMUTILITIES.htm#A734

    many programs don't make their registry settings when installed, but
    instead the first time they are run.
    -[Myth]-, May 22, 2004
  12. JMG

    ~misfit~ Guest

    -[Myth]- wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 May 2004 22:26:42 +1200, bambam wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 22 May 2004 03:55:03 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>> was just thinking about trying it but hate installing software that
    >>> doesn't work them having to uninstall it, maybe messing up the
    >>> registry.

    >> Have you ever thought of using an install monitor? Perfect for
    >> people who like to play around with different software. Here is a
    >> link to a really good freeware one, if you want to have a play-
    >>
    >> http://www.pricelessware.org/2004/PL2004SYSTEMUTILITIES.htm#A734

    > many programs don't make their registry settings when installed, but
    > instead the first time they are run.

    Thanks guys, food for thought. It seems the fiancee's folks are selling-up
    and going to live on a boat so I guess the question's redundant now anyway.
    He asked me if I could sell his PC(s) for him yesterday.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, May 23, 2004
  13. JMG

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > Thanks guys, food for thought. It seems the fiancee's folks are
    > selling-up and going to live on a boat so I guess the question's
    > redundant now anyway. He asked me if I could sell his PC(s) for him
    > yesterday. --
    > ~misfit~

    I think they might find the PC useful on the boat.
    http://www.dxsoft.com/en/products/seatty/
    I don't own a boat, but I was talking with my moms friend who does, and
    they have some kind of peer to peer email app that uses HAM radio to send
    email, and they love their weather info without printing paper.
    All kinds of uses, the computer is a versatile machine.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 23, 2004
  14. JMG

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Thanks guys, food for thought. It seems the fiancee's folks are
    >> selling-up and going to live on a boat so I guess the question's
    >> redundant now anyway. He asked me if I could sell his PC(s) for him
    >> yesterday. --
    >> ~misfit~

    > I think they might find the PC useful on the boat.
    > http://www.dxsoft.com/en/products/seatty/
    > I don't own a boat, but I was talking with my moms friend who does,
    > and they have some kind of peer to peer email app that uses HAM radio
    > to send email, and they love their weather info without printing
    > paper.
    > All kinds of uses, the computer is a versatile machine.
    > Ciao, Dave

    I've been trying to tell him that (or his daughter, my fiancee has) but he's
    not an easy man to talk to, especially when his wife is around.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, May 23, 2004
  15. JMG

    bambam Guest

    "-[Myth]-" <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 22 May 2004 22:26:42 +1200, bambam wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 22 May 2004 03:55:03 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>> was just thinking about trying it but hate installing software
    >>> that doesn't work them having to uninstall it, maybe messing up
    >>> the registry.

    >> Have you ever thought of using an install monitor? Perfect for
    >> people who like to play around with different software. Here is a
    >> link to a really good freeware one, if you want to have a play-
    >>
    >> http://www.pricelessware.org/2004/PL2004SYSTEMUTILITIES.htm#A734

    > many programs don't make their registry settings when installed,
    > but instead the first time they are run.

    Which is exactly why it is good practice to run the newly installed
    program once before ending the monitoring process.

    --
    If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again; it was
    probably worth it.
    bambam, May 23, 2004
  16. > Just to know if you use skype software as phone on IP ? I'm going to make
    > tests next week with friends who are in San Francisco, Tahiti and Vancouver.
    > It could be great to use it towards New Zealand ! I sent this message from
    > France.

    I use it to chat to some mates in Auckland... it seems to be a bit of a
    bandwidth hog, but it'll only use whats available, as in, it works on a
    slower connection, but if you use it on a faster one, it'll use all
    available bandwidth.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 23, 2004
  17. -[Myth]- wrote:
    > The confernence calls introduced in the newer version also
    > work fine.

    ooh, ooh, conference calls... excellent, I've been waiting for that
    feature. I'll have to download it.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 23, 2004
  18. XPD wrote:
    > Err he didnt say anywhere that it wasnt worth it on dialup :)
    > I have heard reports that its fine on decent dial ups (ie: 40k+ connection)

    I've used it on dialup that was limited to 33.6 and it was still better
    than phone quality... after about 10 mins it got laggy, so a hangup and
    re-connect and all was good again.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 23, 2004
  19. JMG

    Peter Guest