    Wi-Fi enabled mobile phone via free Wi-Fi Hotspots abroad to make free calls
    back to UK or anywhere else?
    divoch

    divoch, Nov 22, 2006

  2. In article <BzV8h.59064$>,
    divoch <> wrote:
    >Has anybody here had some experience in using VOIP (Skype or SIP based) on a
    >Wi-Fi enabled mobile phone via free Wi-Fi Hotspots abroad to make free calls
    >back to UK or anywhere else?

    I've been using the UT Starcom F1000G WiFi phone for a while now. It's
    a bit fiddly to setup, and voice quality might be better, but it does
    the job for what I want it for. Not sure it would be good for "serious"
    or "corp-rat" business use, but ...

    http://www.utstar.com/Solutions/Handsets/WiFi/

    And of-course your VoIP experience will only be as good as the Internet
    connection you have - so out in the middle of no-where where they only
    have an ADSL line then it could be problematic, but I'll find out soon
    enough when I travel to Egypt where I know a place I'll be in where I
    can get free WiFi access (to a 512Kbps ADSL connection)

    A friend of mine has the 3000 model, which is pretty and has a colour
    screen, but he seems to have great problems programming it...

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Nov 22, 2006

  3. divoch

    divoch Guest

    "Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    > In article <BzV8h.59064$>,
    > divoch <> wrote:
    >>Has anybody here had some experience in using VOIP (Skype or SIP based) on
    >>Wi-Fi enabled mobile phone via free Wi-Fi Hotspots abroad to make free
    >>calls
    >>back to UK or anywhere else?

    > I've been using the UT Starcom F1000G WiFi phone for a while now. It's
    > a bit fiddly to setup, and voice quality might be better, but it does
    > the job for what I want it for. Not sure it would be good for "serious"
    > or "corp-rat" business use, but ...
    >
    > http://www.utstar.com/Solutions/Handsets/WiFi/
    >
    > And of-course your VoIP experience will only be as good as the Internet
    > connection you have - so out in the middle of no-where where they only
    > have an ADSL line then it could be problematic, but I'll find out soon
    > enough when I travel to Egypt where I know a place I'll be in where I
    > can get free WiFi access (to a 512Kbps ADSL connection)
    >
    > A friend of mine has the 3000 model, which is pretty and has a colour
    > screen, but he seems to have great problems programming it...

    Which SIP service have you used with the phone? I presume it should work
    with any SIP based service? I would certainly be interested to hear about
    your travel experiences with the phone.
    divoch

    divoch, Nov 22, 2006
  4. In article <jaY8h.59096$>,
    divoch <> wrote:

    >"Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <BzV8h.59064$>,
    >> divoch <> wrote:
    >>>Has anybody here had some experience in using VOIP (Skype or SIP based) on
    >>>Wi-Fi enabled mobile phone via free Wi-Fi Hotspots abroad to make free
    >>>calls
    >>>back to UK or anywhere else?

    >> I've been using the UT Starcom F1000G WiFi phone for a while now. It's
    >> a bit fiddly to setup, and voice quality might be better, but it does
    >> the job for what I want it for. Not sure it would be good for "serious"
    >> or "corp-rat" business use, but ...
    >>
    >> http://www.utstar.com/Solutions/Handsets/WiFi/
    >>
    >> And of-course your VoIP experience will only be as good as the Internet
    >> connection you have - so out in the middle of no-where where they only
    >> have an ADSL line then it could be problematic, but I'll find out soon
    >> enough when I travel to Egypt where I know a place I'll be in where I
    >> can get free WiFi access (to a 512Kbps ADSL connection)
    >>
    >> A friend of mine has the 3000 model, which is pretty and has a colour
    >> screen, but he seems to have great problems programming it...

    >Which SIP service have you used with the phone? I presume it should work
    >with any SIP based service? I would certainly be interested to hear about
    >your travel experiences with the phone.
    >divoch

    I run my own Asterisk servers, but I've no reason to think it wouldn't
    work with with any of the standard offerings.

    It can remember 4 different WiFi Access Points, so I have it set with
    the WEP keys of a few places I visit and it generally works out OK. It's
    a bit of a fiddle inputting a wep-key via the keypad though, but I have
    done it successfully, and you can see the MAC address without powering
    it down (it's behind the battery) if you need to for places who also
    use MAC address authentication.

    Battery life is amazingly long - 3-4 days standby, and talk time is
    several hours.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Nov 22, 2006
  5. divoch

    > In article <jaY8h.59096$>,
    > divoch <> wrote:
    >>
    >>"Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I've been using the UT Starcom F1000G WiFi phone for a while now. It's
    >>> a bit fiddly to setup, and voice quality might be better, but it does
    >>> the job for what I want it for. Not sure it would be good for "serious"
    >>> or "corp-rat" business use, but ...
    >>>
    >>> http://www.utstar.com/Solutions/Handsets/WiFi/
    >>>
    >>> And of-course your VoIP experience will only be as good as the Internet
    >>> connection you have - so out in the middle of no-where where they only
    >>> have an ADSL line then it could be problematic, but I'll find out soon
    >>> enough when I travel to Egypt where I know a place I'll be in where I
    >>> can get free WiFi access (to a 512Kbps ADSL connection)
    >>>
    >>> A friend of mine has the 3000 model, which is pretty and has a colour
    >>> screen, but he seems to have great problems programming it...

    >>Which SIP service have you used with the phone? I presume it should work
    >>with any SIP based service? I would certainly be interested to hear about
    >>your travel experiences with the phone.
    >>divoch

    > I run my own Asterisk servers, but I've no reason to think it wouldn't
    > work with with any of the standard offerings.
    >
    > It can remember 4 different WiFi Access Points, so I have it set with
    > the WEP keys of a few places I visit and it generally works out OK. It's
    > a bit of a fiddle inputting a wep-key via the keypad though, but I have
    > done it successfully, and you can see the MAC address without powering
    > it down (it's behind the battery) if you need to for places who also
    > use MAC address authentication.
    >
    > Battery life is amazingly long - 3-4 days standby, and talk time is
    > several hours.

    Sounds promising. Have you tried any of the free Hotspots? I know there
    were some advertised in Krakow and in Prague. I believe they
    are low speed, i.e. 64kb/sec. I assume rightly or wrongly, these are open
    and do not require WEP keys.
    divoch

    divoch, Nov 22, 2006
  6. In article <Tr%8h.51049$>,
    divoch <> wrote:

    >Sounds promising. Have you tried any of the free Hotspots? I know there
    >were some advertised in Krakow and in Prague. I believe they
    >are low speed, i.e. 64kb/sec. I assume rightly or wrongly, these are open
    >and do not require WEP keys.
    >divoch

    Not yet. The ones that require a login & password might be awkward to
    get through though, although there is a sort of login scripting feature,
    but I have not looked into it.

    It'll use the GSM codec if you ask it to, so that might work on a slow
    site which has open access, however WiFi is notoriously bad as passing
    a relatively low data rate/high & small packet size sort of load.

    If the access point is overloaded I'd expect it to not work very
    well at all.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Nov 22, 2006
  7. divoch

    > In article <Tr%8h.51049$>,
    > divoch <> wrote:
    >
    >>Sounds promising. Have you tried any of the free Hotspots?

    > If the access point is overloaded I'd expect it to not work very
    > well at all.

    I think that may well be the main limitation. 64 kb/sec should be OK
    if you have it all to yourself but not otherwise
    divoch

    divoch, Nov 23, 2006
  8. divoch

    Joe Harrison Guest

    I use Skype or SJPphone on an Acer Windows Mobile PDA. SJphone suffers
    unless there is loads of bandwidth but Skype is very clear and usable even
    in hotels with mediocre public wi-fi. Occasionally it's crackly or
    inconvenient but it beats hell out of getting a huge GSM roaming bill.

    Joe Harrison, Nov 23, 2006