skype question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Holmes, Dec 8, 2006.

  1. John Holmes

    John Holmes Guest

    stepson "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > only just hard about this. you can make calls for free, to the uk
    > landline network, for 6 months, when you top up your credit by £10 or
    > more using paypal, this month.
    >
    > Now, as I dont have skype, what do you need, to get it? Is it just
    > software only and you buy your own mic? What if your pc doesnt have a
    > mic input? My pc has onboard sound but as I'm a DJ, I'm installing a
    > sound card that deals with stereo phono in and stereo phono out, for
    > line in, (no mic on this soundcard, its basically for taking audio in
    > from a spurce, and outputting the pc audio via the phono sockets). I
    > doubt I'd be able to click a switch to go back to the onboard sound
    > for the mic anytime i'd like to make a call with skype?
    >
    > any better newsgroup to be asking than this one if you cant help
    > answer any of the queries?
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > Dan.

    You can have more then one soundcard in a machine. In Skype, there's a
    config setting for the soundcard. Let that point to te internal sound
    device.

    --
    You embarrassing crock of lousy sweat-socks.

    stepson, Dec 8, 2006

  3. John Holmes

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 20:52:12 GMT, "stepson" <>
    wrote:

    >only just hard about this. you can make calls for free, to the uk landline
    >network, for 6 months, when you top up your credit by £10 or more using
    >paypal, this month.
    >
    >Now, as I dont have skype, what do you need, to get it? Is it just software
    >only and you buy your own mic?

    Yes.

    >What if your pc doesnt have a mic input? My
    >pc has onboard sound but as I'm a DJ, I'm installing a sound card that
    >deals with stereo phono in and stereo phono out, for line in, (no mic on
    >this soundcard, its basically for taking audio in from a spurce, and
    >outputting the pc audio via the phono sockets). I doubt I'd be able to click
    >a switch to go back to the onboard sound for the mic anytime i'd like to
    >make a call with skype?

    Depends on what operating system you have.

    You can on Vista.

    And you don't have a mic on whatever device you are plugging into the
    sound card?

    Evan Platt, Dec 8, 2006