    --
    Georg Schwarz http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
    +49 177 8811442

    Georg Schwarz, Sep 12, 2003

  2. Georg Schwarz

    totojepast Guest

    Has anybody tried to sniff the traffic? Is it encrypted?

    totojepast, Sep 15, 2003

  3. totojepast wrote:

    > Has anybody tried to sniff the traffic? Is it encrypted?
    >

    >>Is there any information already available how skype's protocol works?
    >>All I know is that it uses some proprietary protocol, not e.g. SIP. It's
    >>labeled "p2p" (which is a good marketing term these days anyway),
    >>but what's really so much peer to peer about it (aside from telephony
    >>being peer to peer by its very nature)?
    >>If anybody has more specific information about how Skype works I'd be
    >>interested to learn about it. Any pointers to sources of information
    >>would be welcome.

    Look at
    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/09/14/2025203&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=185&tid=95
    for a lengthly discussion.

    From the discussion:
    - protocol used is proprietary.
    - Skype ULA says that they are able to add additional software
    - yes is encryted
    - no there are no other clients for other OS's
    - no there are no gateways to PSTN
    - no they are not compatible with any other VoIP client

    IMHO the only two advantages would be:
    - reported easy to setup (even behind NAT/Firewall) beacuse of P2P
    technology
    - reported to have good quality (although not mentioned over what kind
    of links in terms of speed, jitter)

    Arnold.

    Arnold Ligtvoet, Sep 15, 2003
  4. Georg Schwarz

    VoIPer Guest

    There's an interesting column on Skype that is very critical of the
    service at voxiloa.com. The direct link is
    http://www.voxilla.com/Article18-nested-order0-threshold0.phtml.

    VoIPer, Sep 25, 2003