    worry and help me to help him be reassured.
    --
    Derrick Fawsitt
    Derrick Fawsitt, Mar 1, 2005

  2. Derrick Fawsitt

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
    > A friend I particularly want to install Skpe has stopped installing
    > it until he resolves a particular problem. An article in a UK PC
    > Magazine dealing with Skype and how to install it, (was it PC
    > World), said that you can have trouble with Skype and NAT if you
    > have a router. He has a DLINK D1 614plus and he is afraid
    > installing Skype might disrupt his business through his DLINK
    > router. He has asked me to look into this matter for him, can you
    > advise me please. I am not technical so the question posed above is
    > as he explained it to me and my understanding of it. He obviously
    > uses a network so no doubt someone will understand his worry and
    > help me to help him be reassured.

    Works ok for me using a Netgear DM602 combined modem/router.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Mar 1, 2005

  3. Derrick Fawsitt

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
    > A friend I particularly want to install Skpe has stopped installing it
    > until he resolves a particular problem. An article in a UK PC Magazine
    > dealing with Skype and how to install it, (was it PC World), said that
    > you can have trouble with Skype and NAT if you have a router. He has a
    > DLINK D1 614plus and he is afraid installing Skype might disrupt his
    > business through his DLINK router. He has asked me to look into this
    > matter for him, can you advise me please. I am not technical so the
    > question posed above is as he explained it to me and my understanding of
    > it. He obviously uses a network so no doubt someone will understand his
    > worry and help me to help him be reassured.

    You must put the Skype between the modem and the router, but that only
    impacts the data users. If he has a combined modem/router he has to
    change that by disabling the router function and adding another router.
    You did not state the router and modem make/type.
    Rick Merrill, Mar 1, 2005
  4. In message <>, Rick Merrill
    <> writes
    >Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
    >> A friend I particularly want to install Skpe has stopped installing
    >>it until he resolves a particular problem. An article in a UK PC
    >>Magazine dealing with Skype and how to install it, (was it PC World),
    >>said that you can have trouble with Skype and NAT if you have a
    >>router. He has a DLINK D1 614plus and he is afraid installing Skype
    >>might disrupt his business through his DLINK router. He has asked me
    >>to look into this matter for him, can you advise me please. I am not
    >>technical so the question posed above is as he explained it to me and
    >>my understanding of it. He obviously uses a network so no doubt
    >>someone will understand his worry and help me to help him be reassured.

    >You must put the Skype between the modem and the router, but that only
    >impacts the data users. If he has a combined modem/router he has to
    >change that by disabling the router function and adding another router.
    >You did not state the router and modem make/type.

    DLINK D1 614plus
    --
    Derrick Fawsitt
    Derrick Fawsitt, Mar 1, 2005
  5. Derrick Fawsitt

    EdR Guest

    "Derrick Fawsitt" <> schreef in bericht
    > A friend I particularly want to install Skpe has stopped installing it
    > until he resolves a particular problem. An article in a UK PC Magazine
    > dealing with Skype and how to install it, (was it PC World), said that
    > you can have trouble with Skype and NAT if you have a router.

    We use Skype over NAT through a software router and use it on multiple PC's
    in a business environment. No problems at all.
    The only 'problem' that can occur with VoIP and NAT is that it doesn't work.
    It will not disrupt your network. As far as I have seen, Skype is very good
    in traversing NAT. With SIP you have to jump through hoops to get a reliable
    connection.
    Regards!
    Erwin.
    EdR, Mar 1, 2005
  6. Derrick Fawsitt

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
    > In message <>, Rick Merrill
    > <> writes
    >
    >> Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
    >>
    >>> A friend I particularly want to install Skpe has stopped installing
    >>> it until he resolves a particular problem. An article in a UK PC
    >>> Magazine dealing with Skype and how to install it, (was it PC
    >>> World), said that you can have trouble with Skype and NAT if you
    >>> have a router. He has a DLINK D1 614plus and he is afraid installing
    >>> Skype might disrupt his business through his DLINK router. He has
    >>> asked me to look into this matter for him, can you advise me please.
    >>> I am not technical so the question posed above is as he explained it
    >>> to me and my understanding of it. He obviously uses a network so no
    >>> doubt someone will understand his worry and help me to help him be
    >>> reassured.

    >> You must put the Skype between the modem and the router, but that only
    >> impacts the data users. If he has a combined modem/router he has to
    >> change that by disabling the router function and adding another router.
    >> You did not state the router and modem make/type.

    > DLINK D1 614plus

    Sorry, you DID state the router type... is the Dlink using
    firmware version 3.43 ?

    Is he placing the Skpe between router and modem?
    Rick Merrill, Mar 1, 2005
  7. Derrick Fawsitt

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:

    [snip]

    > Is he placing the Skpe between router and modem?

    What's "the Skype" ..?!

    I have had no problem at all running Skype on any PC behind a multitude of
    routers/modems, what exactly is the problem here..?

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Mar 2, 2005
  8. Derrick Fawsitt

    Ivor Jones Guest

    EdR wrote:
    > "Derrick Fawsitt" <> schreef in bericht
    >> A friend I particularly want to install Skpe has stopped
    >> installing it until he resolves a particular problem. An article
    >> in a UK PC Magazine dealing with Skype and how to install it, (was
    >> it PC World), said that you can have trouble with Skype and NAT if
    >> you have a router.

    > We use Skype over NAT through a software router and use it on
    > multiple PC's in a business environment. No problems at all.
    > The only 'problem' that can occur with VoIP and NAT is that it
    > doesn't work. It will not disrupt your network. As far as I have
    > seen, Skype is very good in traversing NAT. With SIP you have to
    > jump through hoops to get a reliable connection.
    > Regards!
    > Erwin.

    Depends on the SIP network and/or the hardware. I have had numerous
    problems with certain ATA hardware and none at all with others, on the
    same SIP account.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Mar 2, 2005