    At one time they were free with a monthly package, then a fee, now
    gone ???
    Or maybe I'm just missing it.

    Fred, Oct 14, 2010

  2. Fred

    SimonB Guest

    Fred <> wrote:

    > Just been looking at Skype.com
    > The unlimited call packages (landline and mobile) to UK; Europe; world
    > look pretty good.
    >
    > Don't know if I'm missing it, but I can't now find any reference to
    > getting an incoming number.
    > At one time they were free with a monthly package, then a fee, now
    > gone ???
    > Or maybe I'm just missing it.

    The incoming number is now charged for, unless you were able to renew an
    existing subscription that included it as free:
    www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/features/allfeatures/online-number

    But have a look at
    www.ring2skype.com
    It's free and works most of the time -- you can get more than one local
    number (in differnt countries) .
    --
    Simon

    SimonB, Oct 14, 2010

  3. Fred

    Fred Guest

    <snip>
    >The incoming number is now charged for, unless you were able to renew an
    >existing subscription that included it as free:
    >www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/features/allfeatures/online-number
    >
    >But have a look at
    >www.ring2skype.com
    >It's free and works most of the time -- you can get more than one local
    >number (in differnt countries) .

    OK, I simply wasn't finding the Skype-in page.
    Thanks.

    Fred, Oct 14, 2010
  4. Fred

    Graham. Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Just been looking at Skype.com
    > The unlimited call packages (landline and mobile) to UK; Europe; world
    > look pretty good.
    >
    > Don't know if I'm missing it, but I can't now find any reference to
    > getting an incoming number.
    > At one time they were free with a monthly package, then a fee, now
    > gone ???
    > Or maybe I'm just missing it.

    Looks very expensive to me.
    smartvoip costs me 5 p/min to call a UK mobile. Straightforward PAYG, and no connection fee.

    The Skype unlimited offers seem to exclude mobiles except to those countries that treat LL and mobile
    termination the same-like the USA, so you would pay a subscription and a call charge on top? No thanks.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Oct 14, 2010
  5. Fred

    Steve Terry Guest

    "SimonB" <> wrote in message
    > Fred <> wrote:

    <snip>
    > But have a look at
    > www.ring2skype.com
    > It's free and works most of the time -- you can get more than one local
    > number (in differnt countries)
    > Simon

    Shame ring2skype have stopped issuing 0161 Manchester numbers,
    fortunately mine is still working.
    Now they just have a choice of London numbers.

    They do seem to be getting more reliable, i've not had a outage
    for at least a month

    It's very handy for people to be able to call my Three Skype
    mobile phone at UK landline rate, i also have a ring2skype
    New York number so friends in the US can also call it at their inclusive
    rate

    Steve Terry
    --
    "I would like to plead for my right to investigate natural phenomena
    without having guns pointed at me.

    Steve Terry, Oct 15, 2010
  6. Fred

    Jim Guest

    <snip>

    >Looks very expensive to me.
    >smartvoip costs me 5 p/min to call a UK mobile. Straightforward PAYG, and no connection fee.
    >
    >The Skype unlimited offers seem to exclude mobiles except to those countries that treat LL and mobile
    >termination the same-like the USA, so you would pay a subscription and a call charge on top? No thanks.

    You're correct.
    This page is a bit misleading: http://buy.skype.com/paymonthly/
    Digging further reveals it.
    I didn't look closely enough.
    I guess I'll stick with Betamax.

    Jim, Oct 15, 2010
  7. Fred

    Steve Terry Guest

    "Graham." <> wrote in message

    > "Steve Terry" <> wrote in message
    >> "SimonB" <> wrote in message
    >>> Fred <> wrote:

    <snip>
    > I've been getting Allison Smith's "All circuits are busy" message (without
    > asking for the ext.)
    > a lot during busy times. Thats on 01618840148, I was wondering if
    > switcing an 020
    > number would make any difference, my best guess is it wouldn't.
    > Graham.

    Their 0203 does seem to be a little more reliable
    Obviously set a couple up to compare

    Steve Terry

    Steve Terry, Oct 15, 2010
  8. Fred

    Roger Mills Guest

    On 14/10/2010 12:54, SimonB wrote:

    > But have a look at
    > www.ring2skype.com
    > It's free and works most of the time -- you can get more than one local
    > number (in differnt countries) .

    Useful link - thanks. Not sure how reliable it is, though.

    I signed up for a London number - which worked for a couple of days
    (forwarding calls to my S2 Skypephone - but seems to have stopped working.

    Now, when I ring the London number, I get the usual prompt for Ext. but
    when I key that in, a voice says "We are unable to connect your call at
    this time. Please try later" or somesuch.

    Anyone know what's going on?
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Oct 17, 2010
  9. Fred

    Steve Terry Guest

    "Roger Mills" <> wrote in message
    > On 14/10/2010 12:54, SimonB wrote:
    >
    >> But have a look at
    >> www.ring2skype.com
    >> It's free and works most of the time -- you can get more than one local
    >> number (in differnt countries) .

    > Useful link - thanks. Not sure how reliable it is, though.
    >
    > I signed up for a London number - which worked for a couple of days
    > (forwarding calls to my S2 Skypephone - but seems to have stopped working.
    >
    > Now, when I ring the London number, I get the usual prompt for Ext. but
    > when I key that in, a voice says "We are unable to connect your call at
    > this time. Please try later" or somesuch.
    > Anyone know what's going on?
    > Cheers,
    > Roger

    Probably overloaded switch, try again later.

    Also the S2 Skype app crashes sometimes but appears to still be connected,
    turn phone of and on and log on to Skype again.

    Steve Terry

    Steve Terry, Oct 17, 2010
  10. Fred

    Roger Mills Guest

    On 17/10/2010 16:15, Steve Terry wrote:
    > "Roger Mills"<> wrote in message
    >> On 14/10/2010 12:54, SimonB wrote:
    >>
    >>> But have a look at
    >>> www.ring2skype.com
    >>> It's free and works most of the time -- you can get more than one local
    >>> number (in differnt countries) .

    >> Useful link - thanks. Not sure how reliable it is, though.
    >>
    >> I signed up for a London number - which worked for a couple of days
    >> (forwarding calls to my S2 Skypephone - but seems to have stopped working.
    >>
    >> Now, when I ring the London number, I get the usual prompt for Ext. but
    >> when I key that in, a voice says "We are unable to connect your call at
    >> this time. Please try later" or somesuch.
    >> Anyone know what's going on?
    >> Cheers,
    >> Roger
    >>

    > Probably overloaded switch, try again later.
    >
    > Also the S2 Skype app crashes sometimes but appears to still be connected,
    > turn phone of and on and log on to Skype again.
    >
    > Steve Terry

    I don't think it's the Skype app. Just in case, I logged out of Skype on
    the S2, turned it right off and on again, and logged back in - with
    exactly the same result. The S2 works when I use it to call another
    Skype account running on my PC.

    I've also obtained another ring2skype number (actually the same number,
    but a different extension) for the account running on the PC - and that
    doesn't work either!

    Is it working for anyone else?
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Oct 17, 2010
  11. Fred

    > On 17/10/2010 16:15, Steve Terry wrote:
    >> "Roger Mills"<> wrote in message

    > Is it working for anyone else? Cheers,
    > Roger

    You're right, I've just tried my 0208, 0203, and 0161
    ring2skype numbers and get the same message.

    When ring2Skype fails it's usually over a weekend, i expect
    they'll do something about when they read the compliant emails on Monday

    Steve Terry

    Steve Terry, Oct 17, 2010
  12. Fred

    Graham. Guest

    "Steve Terry" <> wrote in message news:i9flao$11j$-september.org...
    > "Roger Mills" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> On 17/10/2010 16:15, Steve Terry wrote:
    >>> "Roger Mills"<> wrote in message

    >> Is it working for anyone else? Cheers,
    >> Roger
    >>

    > You're right, I've just tried my 0208, 0203, and 0161
    > ring2skype numbers and get the same message.
    >
    > When ring2Skype fails it's usually over a weekend, i expect
    > they'll do something about when they read the compliant emails on Monday
    >
    > Steve Terry

    Same here on my Manhester number. I set up a new account with a London number
    pointing at the same Skype ID but no joy.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Oct 17, 2010
  13. Fred

    Roger Mills Guest

    On 17/10/2010 23:48, Graham. wrote:
    > "Steve Terry"<> wrote in message news:i9flao$11j$-september.org...

    >>> Is it working for anyone else? Cheers,
    >>> Roger
    >>>

    >> You're right, I've just tried my 0208, 0203, and 0161
    >> ring2skype numbers and get the same message.
    >>
    >> When ring2Skype fails it's usually over a weekend, i expect
    >> they'll do something about when they read the compliant emails on Monday
    >>
    >> Steve Terry
    >>

    > Same here on my Manhester number. I set up a new account with a London number
    > pointing at the same Skype ID but no joy.

    Well, it seems to be working again this evening - I wonder how long for?!
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Oct 18, 2010
  14. Fred

    Graham. Guest

    >>> You're right, I've just tried my 0208, 0203, and 0161
    >>> ring2skype numbers and get the same message.
    >>>
    >>> When ring2Skype fails it's usually over a weekend, i expect
    >>> they'll do something about when they read the compliant emails on Monday
    >>>
    >>> Steve Terry
    >>>

    >> Same here on my Manhester number. I set up a new account with a London number
    >> pointing at the same Skype ID but no joy.
    >>

    > Well, it seems to be working again this evening - I wonder how long for?!

    Seemed to come back between 1915 and 1930

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Oct 18, 2010
  15. Fred

    Roger Mills Guest

    On 18/10/2010 23:36, Graham. wrote:

    >> Well, it seems to be working again this evening - I wonder how long for?!

    > Seemed to come back between 1915 and 1930

    It seems to have died again - but in a slightly different way!

    I dial the number, and key in the extension when prompted - and it
    gives ring tone for several rings, but no incoming call is detected at
    the Skype end, and after a while I get the "Sorry, we can't connect your
    call" message. I've tried to call my S2, and Skype on my PC, with the
    same result - but they can call each other ok.

    Anyone else tried it today?

    I'm getting pretty close to abandoning it because it just doesn't seem
    reliable. Pity, because it potentially offers a cheap way for my wife to
    ring me on my S2 when I'm out and about - but it's no use if it doesn't
    work when required.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Oct 19, 2010
  16. Fred

    SimonB Guest

    Roger Mills <> wrote:

    > On 18/10/2010 23:36, Graham. wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Well, it seems to be working again this evening - I wonder how long for?!

    > > Seemed to come back between 1915 and 1930

    > It seems to have died again - but in a slightly different way!
    >
    > I dial the number, and key in the extension when prompted - and it
    > gives ring tone for several rings, but no incoming call is detected at
    > the Skype end, and after a while I get the "Sorry, we can't connect your
    > call" message. I've tried to call my S2, and Skype on my PC, with the
    > same result - but they can call each other ok.
    >
    > Anyone else tried it today?
    >
    > I'm getting pretty close to abandoning it because it just doesn't seem
    > reliable. Pity, because it potentially offers a cheap way for my wife to
    > ring me on my S2 when I'm out and about - but it's no use if it doesn't
    > work when required.

    Worked for me here just now. Dialled the London 0208 number) and the
    Skype phone rang.
    --
    Simon

    SimonB, Oct 19, 2010
  17. Fred

    Steve Terry Guest

    "SimonB" <> wrote in message
    > Roger Mills <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 18/10/2010 23:36, Graham. wrote:

    <snip>
    >> I'm getting pretty close to abandoning it because it just doesn't seem
    >> reliable. Pity, because it potentially offers a cheap way for my wife to
    >> ring me on my S2 when I'm out and about - but it's no use if it doesn't
    >> work when required.

    > Worked for me here just now. Dialled the London 0208 number)
    > and the Skype phone rang.
    > Simon

    All my ring2skype numbers are now working to my S2

    Steve Terry

    Steve Terry, Oct 20, 2010
  18. Fred

    Roger Mills Guest

    On 20/10/2010 01:52, Steve Terry wrote:
    > "SimonB"<> wrote in message
    >> Roger Mills<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 18/10/2010 23:36, Graham. wrote:

    > <snip>
    >>> I'm getting pretty close to abandoning it because it just doesn't seem
    >>> reliable. Pity, because it potentially offers a cheap way for my wife to
    >>> ring me on my S2 when I'm out and about - but it's no use if it doesn't
    >>> work when required.

    >> Worked for me here just now. Dialled the London 0208 number)
    >> and the Skype phone rang.
    >> Simon
    >>

    > All my ring2skype numbers are now working to my S2
    >
    > Steve Terry

    It did come back later in the evening, and worked with my Skypephone
    again - but it still doesn't work with my PC.

    In fact, I can't remember *ever* getting the PC to answer - even though
    it does when I call it from my Skypephone. I presume there's no
    fundamental reason why it shouldn't work with a PC?
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Oct 20, 2010
  19. Fred

    SimonB Guest

    Roger Mills <> wrote:

    > On 20/10/2010 01:52, Steve Terry wrote:
    > > "SimonB"<> wrote in message

    > > <snip>
    > >>
    > >> Worked for me here just now. Dialled the London 0208 number)
    > >> and the Skype phone rang.
    > >> Simon
    > >>

    > > All my ring2skype numbers are now working to my S2
    > >
    > > Steve Terry

    > It did come back later in the evening, and worked with my Skypephone
    > again - but it still doesn't work with my PC.
    >
    > In fact, I can't remember *ever* getting the PC to answer - even though
    > it does when I call it from my Skypephone. I presume there's no
    > fundamental reason why it shouldn't work with a PC?

    My PC gets the call OK here.
    Did you add 'ring2skype' to your contacts list?
    Some find this helps.
    --
    Simon

    SimonB, Oct 20, 2010
  20. Fred

    Roger Mills Guest

    On 20/10/2010 15:22, SimonB wrote:
    > Roger Mills<> wrote:
    >

    >> In fact, I can't remember *ever* getting the PC to answer - even though
    >> it does when I call it from my Skypephone. I presume there's no
    >> fundamental reason why it shouldn't work with a PC?

    > My PC gets the call OK here.
    > Did you add 'ring2skype' to your contacts list?
    > Some find this helps.

    No, that's a thought! I'll try that - thanks.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Oct 20, 2010