Skype on Paradise Cable

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by jw, Aug 19, 2005.

  1. jw

    jw Guest

    Hi y'all,
    Anyone have any issues using Skype on Paradise Cable? lag, etc?
    (Thinkin' about making the switch from ADSL.)
    Cheers
    jw
     
    jw, Aug 19, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. No I use Skype for calls regularly, and also use the italk server
    www.italk.co.nz for an Auckland 09 number

    No problems with latency/lag on Paradise 2mb

    Should be heaps better than DSL with the 128k upstream

    Cheers
    Nathan
     
    Nathan Mercer, Aug 19, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. jw

    Daniel Guest

    jw wrote:
    > Hi y'all,
    > Anyone have any issues using Skype on Paradise Cable? lag, etc?
    > (Thinkin' about making the switch from ADSL.)
    > Cheers
    > jw
    >


    Nope. Quite smooth from my experience.

    Appears that not having Telecom in the loop (unlike the other poor
    ISPs), does make a difference.

    Online gaming is also excellent. In fact, you may find that you often
    have one of the lowest (if not *the* lowest) pings when playing.
    However, it is a little frustrating having the lowest ping in Enemy
    Territory (local NZ servers) and still getting hosed by guys with 3-4
    times the ping - but, that's only because I'm useless :)

    Please be aware that the TelstraClear installation "experience" may be
    somewhat less than memorable. *However*, once it's finally up and
    running it's very very nice, and worth the hassles their customer
    "service" put you through - trust me.
     
    Daniel, Aug 19, 2005
    #3
  4. jw

    jw Guest

    Thanks heaps for that, yeah I'm a bit concerned too... but they've also
    assured me that my 4-port ADSL router will connect OK to their cable
    modem... will wait to see. Installation isn't for another 3 weeks or
    so.

    Cheers
    jw
     
    jw, Aug 19, 2005
    #4
  5. Daniel wrote:
    >> Anyone have any issues using Skype on Paradise Cable? lag, etc?
    >> (Thinkin' about making the switch from ADSL.)


    > Nope. Quite smooth from my experience.
    > Appears that not having Telecom in the loop (unlike the other poor
    > ISPs), does make a difference.


    see below.

    > Online gaming is also excellent. In fact, you may find that you often
    > have one of the lowest (if not *the* lowest) pings when playing.


    heh, only when playing on Paradise servers, other NZ servers your
    traffic is routed via either Oz or the US.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    http://synaptic.net.nz <- Dunedin Based IT and ISP services
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 19, 2005
    #5
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >
    >>> Anyone have any issues using Skype on Paradise Cable? lag, etc?
    >>> (Thinkin' about making the switch from ADSL.)

    >
    >
    >> Nope. Quite smooth from my experience.
    >> Appears that not having Telecom in the loop (unlike the other poor
    >> ISPs), does make a difference.

    >
    >
    > see below.
    >
    >> Online gaming is also excellent. In fact, you may find that you often
    >> have one of the lowest (if not *the* lowest) pings when playing.

    >
    >
    > heh, only when playing on Paradise servers, other NZ servers your
    > traffic is routed via either Oz or the US.

    Not always true, last month I pulled 6GB of data from (non Paradise)
    servers in NZ at the national (10%) rate. A traceroute is worth doing.
    If they depeer further it will be a different matter.
    >
     
    MaximumDamage, Aug 19, 2005
    #6
  7. jw wrote:
    > Thanks heaps for that, yeah I'm a bit concerned too... but they've also
    > assured me that my 4-port ADSL router will connect OK to their cable
    > modem... will wait to see. Installation isn't for another 3 weeks or


    Maybe, but probably not.

    Does your ADSL router have an external WAN interface, as well as the 4
    port LAN interfaces? or is it 'just' a modem?
     
    Nathan Mercer, Aug 19, 2005
    #7
  8. jw

    Daniel Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >
    >>> Anyone have any issues using Skype on Paradise Cable? lag, etc?
    >>> (Thinkin' about making the switch from ADSL.)

    >
    >
    >> Nope. Quite smooth from my experience.
    >> Appears that not having Telecom in the loop (unlike the other poor
    >> ISPs), does make a difference.

    >
    >
    > see below.
    >
    >> Online gaming is also excellent. In fact, you may find that you often
    >> have one of the lowest (if not *the* lowest) pings when playing.

    >
    >
    > heh, only when playing on Paradise servers, other NZ servers your
    > traffic is routed via either Oz or the US.
    >


    Actually, Dave I usually never play on the Paradise servers - there's no
    one there (however, when I have the ping has been *1*!!!).

    Usually go to the Orcon servers, and Ihug on occasion (if there's anyone
    playing of course).

    I'm on the 2Mbs-down/512Kbs-up 1GB plan. If I had the spare cash, I'd
    love to try the 10Mbs/1Mbs.... :)
     
    Daniel, Aug 19, 2005
    #8
  9. jw

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "jw" <> wrote in news:1124410727.911258.184350
    @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Hi y'all,
    > Anyone have any issues using Skype on Paradise Cable? lag, etc?
    > (Thinkin' about making the switch from ADSL.)
    > Cheers
    > jw
    >

    I have this setup and also have TC phone for tolls. Skypeout to North
    America has about a half second lag when calling a land line, but the sound
    quality and the lag seem better than using the normal land line to land
    line call.
    Cable is great, but the overage charges.... Watch that usage!


    --
    Ciao, Dave
     
    Dave Taylor, Aug 19, 2005
    #9
  10. jw

    jw Guest

    D-Link DSL504 only has 4 ethernet ports and the ADSL socket (goes to
    phone wall jack)
     
    jw, Aug 19, 2005
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    639
  2. dianasun via HWKB.com
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,609
    alkis
    Sep 14, 2009
  3. dianasun
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    929
    spammersarevermin
    Nov 17, 2005
  4. dianasun
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,981
    dianasun
    Jun 1, 2006
  5. synchronism
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    738
    synchronism
    Aug 23, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page