    Windows XP. Can some kind soul tell me if there is some trick to
    getting Skype to work on this thing? References to Linux/Mac will be
    ignored.

    Gib Bogle, May 30, 2009

  2. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > I'm very disappointed to find Skype unusable on my Asus eeePC. The
    > sound is hopelessly broken up (e.g. test call), and the CPU usage sits
    > at close to 100% when Skype is trying to do anything. This is under
    > Windows XP. Can some kind soul tell me if there is some trick to
    > getting Skype to work on this thing? References to Linux/Mac will be
    > ignored.

    If you haven't already done so, please ignore this post. I find that
    Skype is now working OK. No idea what the problem was.

    Gib Bogle, May 30, 2009

  3. Gib Bogle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
    > I'm very disappointed to find Skype unusable on my Asus eeePC. The
    > sound is hopelessly broken up (e.g. test call), and the CPU usage sits
    > at close to 100% when Skype is trying to do anything. This is under
    > Windows XP. Can some kind soul tell me if there is some trick to
    > getting Skype to work on this thing? References to Linux/Mac will be
    > ignored.

    I've just looked at Skype's site trying to find min. hardware requirements
    but they don't seem to be listed for Windows (that I can find). They list
    for Apple "G4 800 MHz and above, any G5 or any Intel processor". I'm not
    familiar with G4 architecture so can't compare to an 800MHz G4 to an Atom
    and the "any Intel Processor" in respect to an Apple of course refers to a
    C2D.

    I'm just thinking, those Atom CPUs aren't very powerful compared with most
    other modern CPUs. My 5 year old laptop with a Pentium M 1.6GHz is capable
    of nearly twice the computing power of a single core Atom 1.6GHz. Pehaps it
    just doesn't have the grunt?

    Perhaps other Atom users will be able to shed more light?

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 30, 2009
  4. In message <gvpsbd$pei$>, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > References to Linux/Mac will be ignored.

    If you're excluding yourself from the option of trying an alternative system
    just to help narrow down whether a problem might be related to hardware or
    software, that seems just a little bit stupid, doesn't it?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 30, 2009
  5. Gib Bogle

    victor Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> I'm very disappointed to find Skype unusable on my Asus eeePC. The
    >> sound is hopelessly broken up (e.g. test call), and the CPU usage sits
    >> at close to 100% when Skype is trying to do anything. This is under
    >> Windows XP. Can some kind soul tell me if there is some trick to
    >> getting Skype to work on this thing? References to Linux/Mac will be
    >> ignored.

    > I've just looked at Skype's site trying to find min. hardware requirements
    > but they don't seem to be listed for Windows (that I can find). They list
    > for Apple "G4 800 MHz and above, any G5 or any Intel processor". I'm not
    > familiar with G4 architecture so can't compare to an 800MHz G4 to an Atom
    > and the "any Intel Processor" in respect to an Apple of course refers to a
    > C2D.
    >
    > I'm just thinking, those Atom CPUs aren't very powerful compared with most
    > other modern CPUs. My 5 year old laptop with a Pentium M 1.6GHz is capable
    > of nearly twice the computing power of a single core Atom 1.6GHz. Pehaps it
    > just doesn't have the grunt?
    >
    > Perhaps other Atom users will be able to shed more light?
    >
    > Cheers,

    It was probably still discovering peers
    Not likely to be a cpu problem, it works on all sorts of ARM stuff and
    the eeepc701 I have which is a celeron m.
    Its only like streaming 8kps audio.

    victor, May 30, 2009
  6. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> I'm very disappointed to find Skype unusable on my Asus eeePC. The
    >> sound is hopelessly broken up (e.g. test call), and the CPU usage sits
    >> at close to 100% when Skype is trying to do anything. This is under
    >> Windows XP. Can some kind soul tell me if there is some trick to
    >> getting Skype to work on this thing? References to Linux/Mac will be
    >> ignored.

    > I've just looked at Skype's site trying to find min. hardware requirements
    > but they don't seem to be listed for Windows (that I can find). They list
    > for Apple "G4 800 MHz and above, any G5 or any Intel processor". I'm not
    > familiar with G4 architecture so can't compare to an 800MHz G4 to an Atom
    > and the "any Intel Processor" in respect to an Apple of course refers to a
    > C2D.
    >
    > I'm just thinking, those Atom CPUs aren't very powerful compared with most
    > other modern CPUs. My 5 year old laptop with a Pentium M 1.6GHz is capable
    > of nearly twice the computing power of a single core Atom 1.6GHz. Pehaps it
    > just doesn't have the grunt?
    >
    > Perhaps other Atom users will be able to shed more light?
    >
    > Cheers,

    It isn't very grunty, but should run Skype OK. The problem resurfaced,
    so I did some more digging. There is an excellent eee forum, and there
    I found http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=16919 that the problem
    is some Realtek software, specifically a program called rthdcpl.exe.
    When this is killed Skype works fine and doesn't hog the CPU. I don't
    know what it's for, but it doesn't seem to be missed. Much software
    these days assumes that you have a recent, powerful CPU. Being a bit of
    a minimalist, I deplore this tendency.

    Gib Bogle, May 30, 2009
  7. Gib Bogle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
    >>> I'm very disappointed to find Skype unusable on my Asus eeePC. The
    >>> sound is hopelessly broken up (e.g. test call), and the CPU usage
    >>> sits at close to 100% when Skype is trying to do anything. This is
    >>> under Windows XP. Can some kind soul tell me if there is some
    >>> trick to getting Skype to work on this thing? References to
    >>> Linux/Mac will be ignored.

    >> I've just looked at Skype's site trying to find min. hardware
    >> requirements but they don't seem to be listed for Windows (that I
    >> can find). They list for Apple "G4 800 MHz and above, any G5 or any
    >> Intel processor". I'm not familiar with G4 architecture so can't
    >> compare to an 800MHz G4 to an Atom and the "any Intel Processor" in
    >> respect to an Apple of course refers to a C2D.
    >>
    >> I'm just thinking, those Atom CPUs aren't very powerful compared
    >> with most other modern CPUs. My 5 year old laptop with a Pentium M
    >> 1.6GHz is capable of nearly twice the computing power of a single
    >> core Atom 1.6GHz. Pehaps it just doesn't have the grunt?
    >>
    >> Perhaps other Atom users will be able to shed more light?
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > It isn't very grunty, but should run Skype OK. The problem
    > resurfaced, so I did some more digging. There is an excellent eee
    > forum, and there I found
    > http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=16919 that the problem is
    > some Realtek software, specifically a program called rthdcpl.exe.
    > When this is killed Skype works fine and doesn't hog the CPU. I
    > don't know what it's for, but it doesn't seem to be missed.

    Realtek huh, likely to be some audio or networking thing.

    > Much
    > software these days assumes that you have a recent, powerful CPU. Being a
    > bit of a minimalist, I deplore this tendency.

    I too deplore it. Even on my desktop, which has power to spare, I have tried
    to kill all non-essential services etc. On my old laptop you can imagine
    that it's even more important.

    I'm pleased that you have it sorted.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 30, 2009
  8. Gib Bogle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs whoisthis wrote:
    > In article <gvpvns$v79$-september.org>,
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
    >>> I'm very disappointed to find Skype unusable on my Asus eeePC. The
    >>> sound is hopelessly broken up (e.g. test call), and the CPU usage
    >>> sits at close to 100% when Skype is trying to do anything. This is
    >>> under Windows XP. Can some kind soul tell me if there is some
    >>> trick to getting Skype to work on this thing? References to
    >>> Linux/Mac will be ignored.

    >> I've just looked at Skype's site trying to find min. hardware
    >> requirements but they don't seem to be listed for Windows (that I
    >> can find). They list for Apple "G4 800 MHz and above, any G5 or any
    >> Intel processor". I'm not familiar with G4 architecture so can't
    >> compare to an 800MHz G4 to an Atom and the "any Intel Processor" in
    >> respect to an Apple of course refers to a C2D.
    >>
    >> I'm just thinking, those Atom CPUs aren't very powerful compared
    >> with most other modern CPUs. My 5 year old laptop with a Pentium M
    >> 1.6GHz is capable of nearly twice the computing power of a single
    >> core Atom 1.6GHz. Pehaps it just doesn't have the grunt?
    >>
    >> Perhaps other Atom users will be able to shed more light?

    > skype runs on my iPhone, so I doubt processor grunt is the issue in
    > this case.

    Yes. However the version of Skype that runs on your iPhone isn't the same as
    runs on Windows XP, or a PSP, or Apple. (Why else would they specify G4
    800MHz and above" for Apple?)

    There are different installation packages for each device, requiring
    differing amounts of processing power. I doubt that your iPhone acts as a
    major node for instance, carrying a couple hundred different threads as a
    broadband-connected Windows machine can/will.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 30, 2009
  9. In message <gvq8lm$s1$>, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > Much software these days assumes that you have a recent, powerful CPU.
    > Being a bit of a minimalist, I deplore this tendency.

    Obviously you don't deplore it enough to stop using such software.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 30, 2009
  10. Gib Bogle

    victor Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Yes. However the version of Skype that runs on your iPhone isn't the same as
    > runs on Windows XP, or a PSP, or Apple. (Why else would they specify G4
    > 800MHz and above" for Apple?)
    >
    > There are different installation packages for each device, requiring
    > differing amounts of processing power. I doubt that your iPhone acts as a
    > major node for instance, carrying a couple hundred different threads as a
    > broadband-connected Windows machine can/will.
    >
    > Cheers,

    It still doesn't take much, anything that will stream low bandwidth
    audio will do.
    Its the sort of thing netbooks are meant for.

    victor, May 30, 2009
  11. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <gvq8lm$s1$>, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> Much software these days assumes that you have a recent, powerful CPU.
    >> Being a bit of a minimalist, I deplore this tendency.

    > Obviously you don't deplore it enough to stop using such software.

    The record's stuck. The record's stuck. The record's stuck. The
    record's stuck.

    Gib Bogle, May 30, 2009
  12. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> I'm very disappointed to find Skype unusable on my Asus eeePC. The
    >> sound is hopelessly broken up (e.g. test call), and the CPU usage sits
    >> at close to 100% when Skype is trying to do anything. This is under
    >> Windows XP. Can some kind soul tell me if there is some trick to
    >> getting Skype to work on this thing? References to Linux/Mac will be
    >> ignored.

    > I've just looked at Skype's site trying to find min. hardware requirements
    > but they don't seem to be listed for Windows (that I can find). They list
    > for Apple "G4 800 MHz and above, any G5 or any Intel processor". I'm not
    > familiar with G4 architecture so can't compare to an 800MHz G4 to an Atom
    > and the "any Intel Processor" in respect to an Apple of course refers to a
    > C2D.
    >
    > I'm just thinking, those Atom CPUs aren't very powerful compared with most
    > other modern CPUs. My 5 year old laptop with a Pentium M 1.6GHz is capable
    > of nearly twice the computing power of a single core Atom 1.6GHz. Pehaps it
    > just doesn't have the grunt?
    >
    > Perhaps other Atom users will be able to shed more light?
    >
    > Cheers,

    It seems that the Skype issue is not solved :-(. It is strange - after
    removing the RT program I did some tests, first the Skype test call then
    a live computer-to-computer call, and it worked fine. A few hours
    later the same problem was back: 100% CPU utilization making it
    virtually impossible to even move the cursor, no sensible sounds (this
    is during the "record a message" part of the Skype test call). I
    suspect that it is related to some sound driver, but it is hard to
    believe that Asus would not have all this set up correctly when the
    device ships.

    There is just one lurking thought. Before even trying Skype (I didn't
    notice that it was already installed - yes, I know) I downloaded the
    most recent version, 4.0. Perhaps there is some incompatibility, but I
    see no mention of anything on the eeePC forum (my next stop).

    Gib Bogle, May 30, 2009
  13. Gib Bogle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
    >>> I'm very disappointed to find Skype unusable on my Asus eeePC. The
    >>> sound is hopelessly broken up (e.g. test call), and the CPU usage
    >>> sits at close to 100% when Skype is trying to do anything. This is
    >>> under Windows XP. Can some kind soul tell me if there is some
    >>> trick to getting Skype to work on this thing? References to
    >>> Linux/Mac will be ignored.

    >> I've just looked at Skype's site trying to find min. hardware
    >> requirements but they don't seem to be listed for Windows (that I
    >> can find). They list for Apple "G4 800 MHz and above, any G5 or any
    >> Intel processor". I'm not familiar with G4 architecture so can't
    >> compare to an 800MHz G4 to an Atom and the "any Intel Processor" in
    >> respect to an Apple of course refers to a C2D.
    >>
    >> I'm just thinking, those Atom CPUs aren't very powerful compared
    >> with most other modern CPUs. My 5 year old laptop with a Pentium M
    >> 1.6GHz is capable of nearly twice the computing power of a single
    >> core Atom 1.6GHz. Pehaps it just doesn't have the grunt?
    >>
    >> Perhaps other Atom users will be able to shed more light?

    > It seems that the Skype issue is not solved :-(.

    Bugger!

    > It is strange -
    > after removing the RT program I did some tests, first the Skype test
    > call then a live computer-to-computer call, and it worked fine. A
    > few hours later the same problem was back: 100% CPU utilization
    > making it virtually impossible to even move the cursor, no sensible
    > sounds (this is during the "record a message" part of the Skype test
    > call). I suspect that it is related to some sound driver, but it is
    > hard to believe that Asus would not have all this set up correctly
    > when the device ships.
    >
    > There is just one lurking thought. Before even trying Skype (I didn't
    > notice that it was already installed - yes, I know) I downloaded the
    > most recent version, 4.0. Perhaps there is some incompatibility, but
    > I see no mention of anything on the eeePC forum (my next stop).

    Can you look at the network traffic to see if the high CPU usage coincides
    with high network traffic?

    I've heard of Skype users getting rid of it as it chews through their
    monthly bandwidth allocation in days. Also, I know that My ThinkPad CPU
    usage goes up when it's handling a lot of IP connections.... I'm just still
    not convinced that it isn't relevant.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 31, 2009
  14. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> I've just looked at Skype's site trying to find min. hardware
    >>> requirements but they don't seem to be listed for Windows (that I
    >>> can find). They list for Apple "G4 800 MHz and above, any G5 or any
    >>> Intel processor". I'm not familiar with G4 architecture so can't
    >>> compare to an 800MHz G4 to an Atom and the "any Intel Processor" in
    >>> respect to an Apple of course refers to a C2D.
    >>>
    >>> I'm just thinking, those Atom CPUs aren't very powerful compared
    >>> with most other modern CPUs. My 5 year old laptop with a Pentium M
    >>> 1.6GHz is capable of nearly twice the computing power of a single
    >>> core Atom 1.6GHz. Pehaps it just doesn't have the grunt?
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps other Atom users will be able to shed more light?

    >> It seems that the Skype issue is not solved :-(.

    > Bugger!
    >
    >> It is strange -
    >> after removing the RT program I did some tests, first the Skype test
    >> call then a live computer-to-computer call, and it worked fine. A
    >> few hours later the same problem was back: 100% CPU utilization
    >> making it virtually impossible to even move the cursor, no sensible
    >> sounds (this is during the "record a message" part of the Skype test
    >> call). I suspect that it is related to some sound driver, but it is
    >> hard to believe that Asus would not have all this set up correctly
    >> when the device ships.
    >>
    >> There is just one lurking thought. Before even trying Skype (I didn't
    >> notice that it was already installed - yes, I know) I downloaded the
    >> most recent version, 4.0. Perhaps there is some incompatibility, but
    >> I see no mention of anything on the eeePC forum (my next stop).

    > Can you look at the network traffic to see if the high CPU usage coincides
    > with high network traffic?
    >
    > I've heard of Skype users getting rid of it as it chews through their
    > monthly bandwidth allocation in days. Also, I know that My ThinkPad CPU
    > usage goes up when it's handling a lot of IP connections.... I'm just still
    > not convinced that it isn't relevant.
    >
    > Cheers,

    I'm totally confused now, because this morning it is working again. I'm
    starting to wonder if it could be a function of my ADSL connection.
    When it's screwed up the process System uses 50-70% of the CPU. When
    it's OK, System uses 10-20%.

    Gib Bogle, May 31, 2009
  15. Gib Bogle

    victor Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:

    >>> It seems that the Skype issue is not solved :-(.

    >> Bugger!
    >>
    >>> It is strange -
    >>> after removing the RT program I did some tests, first the Skype test
    >>> call then a live computer-to-computer call, and it worked fine. A
    >>> few hours later the same problem was back: 100% CPU utilization
    >>> making it virtually impossible to even move the cursor, no sensible
    >>> sounds (this is during the "record a message" part of the Skype test
    >>> call). I suspect that it is related to some sound driver, but it is
    >>> hard to believe that Asus would not have all this set up correctly
    >>> when the device ships.
    >>>
    >>> There is just one lurking thought. Before even trying Skype (I didn't
    >>> notice that it was already installed - yes, I know) I downloaded the
    >>> most recent version, 4.0. Perhaps there is some incompatibility, but
    >>> I see no mention of anything on the eeePC forum (my next stop).

    >> Can you look at the network traffic to see if the high CPU usage
    >> coincides with high network traffic?
    >>
    >> I've heard of Skype users getting rid of it as it chews through their
    >> monthly bandwidth allocation in days. Also, I know that My ThinkPad
    >> CPU usage goes up when it's handling a lot of IP connections.... I'm
    >> just still not convinced that it isn't relevant.
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > I'm totally confused now, because this morning it is working again. I'm
    > starting to wonder if it could be a function of my ADSL connection. When
    > it's screwed up the process System uses 50-70% of the CPU. When it's
    > OK, System uses 10-20%.

    I don't have anything specific, but I found this site while I was
    working on restoring xandros on my linux eeepc

    http://www.eeefiles.com/

    It has all sorts of useful stuff

    victor, May 31, 2009
  16. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    victor wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>> Bugger!

    >>> Can you look at the network traffic to see if the high CPU usage
    >>> coincides with high network traffic?
    >>>
    >>> I've heard of Skype users getting rid of it as it chews through their
    >>> monthly bandwidth allocation in days. Also, I know that My ThinkPad
    >>> CPU usage goes up when it's handling a lot of IP connections.... I'm
    >>> just still not convinced that it isn't relevant.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,

    >> I'm totally confused now, because this morning it is working again.
    >> I'm starting to wonder if it could be a function of my ADSL
    >> connection. When it's screwed up the process System uses 50-70% of the
    >> CPU. When it's OK, System uses 10-20%.

    > I don't have anything specific, but I found this site while I was
    > working on restoring xandros on my linux eeepc
    >
    > http://www.eeefiles.com/
    >
    > It has all sorts of useful stuff

    Thanks, I've bookmarked it. I presume you know about
    http://forum.eeeuser.com/

    Gib Bogle, May 31, 2009
  17. In message <gvqtpk$csk$>, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <gvq8lm$s1$>, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >>
    >>> Much software these days assumes that you have a recent, powerful CPU.
    >>> Being a bit of a minimalist, I deplore this tendency.

    >> Obviously you don't deplore it enough to stop using such software.

    > The record's stuck. The record's stuck. The record's stuck. The
    > record's stuck.

    Skype's working. It's not working. It's working. It's not working.

    You're the one, it seems, stuck in the same groove going round and round...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 31, 2009