    "buddy" can call my Jajah number. Does anyone here know?

    Apparently SIP phones can call me, but I don't think Skype is SIP.

    Nigel

    Nigel Greenwood, Sep 8, 2005

  2. Nigel Greenwood

    keymaster Guest

    "Nigel Greenwood" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm using Jajah, mainly because it works with my Win Me system. No
    > problem calling Skype subscribers (apart from occasional congestion on
    > Skype bridges). But what I can't find out from anyone is how a Skype
    > "buddy" can call my Jajah number. Does anyone here know?
    >
    > Apparently SIP phones can call me, but I don't think Skype is SIP.
    >
    > Nigel

    Hi
    not 100% but I am sure skype is not sip.
    cheers
    Roy

    keymaster, Sep 8, 2005

  3. Nigel Greenwood

    T. Guest

    Nigel Greenwood wrote:
    > I'm using Jajah, mainly because it works with my Win Me system. No
    > problem calling Skype subscribers (apart from occasional congestion on
    > Skype bridges). But what I can't find out from anyone is how a Skype
    > "buddy" can call my Jajah number. Does anyone here know?
    >
    > Apparently SIP phones can call me, but I don't think Skype is SIP.

    That's right - Skype is not SIP.

    T., Sep 8, 2005
  4. Nigel Greenwood

    Ian Guest

    > I'm using Jajah, mainly because it works with my Win Me system. No
    > problem calling Skype subscribers (apart from occasional congestion on
    > Skype bridges). But what I can't find out from anyone is how a Skype
    > "buddy" can call my Jajah number. Does anyone here know?
    >
    > Apparently SIP phones can call me, but I don't think Skype is SIP.
    >
    > Nigel

    Hi Nigel.

    AFAIK the Jajah bridge is one way when it comes to adding buddies, Yes Jajah
    is Sip but as you correctly point out Skype isnt.

    Ian

    Ian, Sep 8, 2005
  5. Thanks for the replies.

    Ian wrote:

    > AFAIK the Jajah bridge is one way when it comes to adding buddies, Yes Jajah
    > is Sip but as you correctly point out Skype isnt.

    Yes, but that doesn't directly answer my question, which was whether a
    Skype buddy has any way of calling my Jajah softphone. The Jajah query
    desk hasn't replied to my emails about this, so I suspect the answer is
    No! I posted here in case someone else has managed this feat.

    Nigel

    Nigel Greenwood, Sep 8, 2005
  6. Nigel Greenwood

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "keymaster" <> wrote in
    message

    [snip]

    > Hi
    > not 100% but I am sure skype is not sip.
    > cheers
    > Roy

    It definitely isn't. Skype's protocol is proprietary and a closely guarded
    secret. *Nothing* else is compatible with it.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 8, 2005
  7. Nigel Greenwood

    Ian Guest

    <snip>

    > It definitely isn't. Skype's protocol is proprietary and a closely guarded
    > secret. *Nothing* else is compatible with it.

    Well the Jajah does let Jajah users call skype users.

    But as to compatiblity, All protocols require some kind of gateway to talk
    to another prototcol and skype is no different to the rest.

    Im sure we will see more bridges in the future.

    Ian

    Ian, Sep 8, 2005
  8. Nigel Greenwood

    Peter Guest

    Ian <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote:
    [...]
    > But as to compatiblity, All protocols require some kind of gateway
    > to talk to another prototcol and skype is no different to the rest.
    > Im sure we will see more bridges in the future.

    The problem is that Skype aren't prepared to provide the information
    required to build that bridge.

    --
    Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly.
    - Mae West

    Peter, Sep 8, 2005
  9. Nigel Greenwood

    Ian Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > Ian <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote:
    > [...]
    > > But as to compatiblity, All protocols require some kind of gateway
    > > to talk to another prototcol and skype is no different to the rest.
    > > Im sure we will see more bridges in the future.

    > The problem is that Skype aren't prepared to provide the information
    > required to build that bridge.

    The developers of skype may not but as the Jajah bridge exists, then the
    developers of that may well release the information.

    but looking at http://makeashorterlink.com/?W37821BAB seems that things
    may be changing on skypes part.

    Ian

    Ian, Sep 8, 2005
  10. Nigel Greenwood

    Peter Guest

    Ian <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote:
    [...]
    > The developers of skype may not but as the Jajah bridge exists, then
    > the developers of that may well release the information.

    Unlikely, as it appears that Jajah may also be propietary, although at
    least they do allow SIP gatewaying into it.

    > but looking at http://makeashorterlink.com/?W37821BAB seems that
    > things may be changing on skypes part.

    That's not "opening" it by my understanding. That's merely providing
    an API to drive the IM functionality which has got nothing to do with
    the VoIP side.

    --
    PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger for full key
    /:.*posting.google.com.*/HX-Trace:+j

    Peter, Sep 8, 2005