    Please advise.
    --
    Chris
    Chris, Mar 23, 2006

  2. Chris

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    news:eek:wwQdYEfhrIEFw9E@[127.0.0.1]
    > Skype - Is it necessary to open ports?
    > Is the sound quality worse if you don't?
    > Please advise.

    I've not found it necessary to do so, but I'm not a great fan of Skype, I
    don't like proprietary protocols or systems that force me to use certain
    software and/or hardware.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Mar 23, 2006

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    In article <>, Ivor Jones
    <> writes
    >"Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message

    >> Skype - Is it necessary to open ports?
    >> Is the sound quality worse if you don't?

    >I've not found it necessary to do so, but I'm not a great fan of Skype, I
    >don't like proprietary protocols or systems that force me to use certain
    >software and/or hardware.

    Thanks for your quick reply.
    What would you recommend?
    I mainly call UK phones - but make a few international calls.
    I usually use one of the dial-throughs, such as Telestunt.
    --
    Chris
    Chris, Mar 23, 2006
  4. Chris

    Peter Guest

    "Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    > Skype - Is it necessary to open ports?
    > Is the sound quality worse if you don't?
    > Please advise.
    > --
    > Chris

    Chris, Skype tries ports 80 and 443 if it fails with its default port. So
    if you can browse the net and access pages you should be OK with Skype too.

    Peter
    Peter, Mar 23, 2006
  5. Chris

    muzz Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > In article <>, Ivor Jones
    > <> writes
    >> "Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message

    >>> Skype - Is it necessary to open ports?
    >>> Is the sound quality worse if you don't?

    >> I've not found it necessary to do so, but I'm not a
    >> great fan of Skype, I don't like proprietary protocols
    >> or systems that force me to use certain software and/or
    >> hardware.

    > Thanks for your quick reply.
    > What would you recommend?
    > I mainly call UK phones - but make a few international
    > calls. I usually use one of the dial-throughs, such as
    > Telestunt.

    You could try VOIPstunt. Right now UK calls are free so long as you open an
    account with £8.17. You have to use some credit within 120days to keep it
    alive. Oh and I DID need to forward the port to get decent sound quality on
    this.

    --
    Muzz
    my email is muzzmackay 'at' gmail 'dot' com
    muzz, Mar 23, 2006
  6. Chris

    Chris Guest

    In article <44230f3a$>, muzz
    <none@?.?.invalid> writes
    >Chris wrote:
    >> In article <>, Ivor Jones
    >> <> writes
    >>> "Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message

    >>> I've not found it necessary to do so, but I'm not a
    >>> great fan of Skype, I don't like proprietary protocols
    >>> or systems that force me to use certain software and/or
    >>> hardware.

    >> Thanks for your quick reply.
    >> What would you recommend?
    >> I mainly call UK phones - but make a few international
    >> calls. I usually use one of the dial-throughs, such as
    >> Telestunt.

    >You could try VOIPstunt. Right now UK calls are free so long as you open an
    >account with £8.17. You have to use some credit within 120days to keep it
    >alive. Oh and I DID need to forward the port to get decent sound quality on
    >this.

    Does the credit on VOIPcheap time out.
    I was looking for catches on their site - but didn't notice any.
    That doesn't mean there aren't any though!
    Do you know of any?
    --
    Chris
    Chris, Mar 24, 2006