    or better?

    Thanks for your comments

    Gary
    Gary L T, Sep 14, 2005

  2. Gary L T

    XP Guest

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:37:46 +1200, "Gary L T" <> wrote:

    >I wondered if anyone has had any experience using Skype:
    >http://www.skype.com
    >
    >They say their software will let you make free calls to your friends all
    >over the world.
    >
    >Would you need broadband to take advantage of this service?
    >
    >Is there any other software that competes with Skype that would be as good
    >or better?
    >
    >Thanks for your comments
    >
    >Gary

    Will no longer be free or limited to eBay only, these are the comments going
    around as eBay brought Skype.
    XP, Sep 14, 2005

  3. XP wrote:
    > Will no longer be free or limited to eBay only, these are the comments going
    > around as eBay brought Skype.

    ebay bought skype?
    got a link to some info on it?

    I heard rumours last week, but nothing concrete.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 14, 2005
  4. Gary L T

    Chris Hope Guest

    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/13/technology/13phone.html
    http://www.biosmagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=2133
    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid={0E83C508-4186-46D7-ADEE-457F010122CA}

    Chris Hope, Sep 14, 2005
  5. Chris Hope wrote:
    >>>Will no longer be free or limited to eBay only, these are the
    >>>comments going around as eBay brought Skype.

    >>ebay bought skype?
    >>got a link to some info on it?
    >>I heard rumours last week, but nothing concrete.

    > http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/13/technology/13phone.html
    > http://www.biosmagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=2133
    > http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid={0E83C508-4186-46D7-ADEE-457F010122CA}

    gutted... oh well, bring on googletalk then I guess.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 14, 2005
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> ebay bought skype?
    >>> got a link to some info on it?
    >>> I heard rumours last week, but nothing concrete.

    >> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/13/technology/13phone.html
    >> http://www.biosmagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=2133
    >> http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid={0E83C508-4186-46D7-ADEE-457F010122CA}

    > gutted... oh well, bring on googletalk then I guess.

    Whats the big deal? How come you would suddenly change from Skype to
    Google now that eBay bought them?
    Nathan Mercer, Sep 14, 2005
  7. Gary L T

    Alan Guest

    "Gary L T" <> wrote in message

    > I wondered if anyone has had any experience using Skype:
    > http://www.skype.com
    >
    > They say their software will let you make free calls to your friends
    > all over the world.
    >
    > Would you need broadband to take advantage of this service?
    >
    > Is there any other software that competes with Skype that would be

    as
    > good or better?
    >
    > Thanks for your comments
    >
    > Gary

    On alternative (appears to have the advantage that it also runs under
    Win98SE (if that matters to you):

    http://www.freshtel.net/

    Their site is going slow this week - probably due to everyone looking
    around for possible alternatives to Skype now that E-Bay bought them
    out!

    I haven't tried it, so I offer no opinion.

    Alan.
    Alan, Sep 14, 2005
  8. Nathan Mercer wrote:

    >>> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/13/technology/13phone.html
    >>> http://www.biosmagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=2133
    >>> http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid={0E83C508-4186-46D7-ADEE-457F010122CA}

    >> gutted... oh well, bring on googletalk then I guess.

    > Whats the big deal? How come you would suddenly change from Skype to
    > Google now that eBay bought them?

    I have a longtime hatred of ebay and controlling companies :)

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 14, 2005
  9. "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message

    >>> gutted... oh well, bring on googletalk then I guess.

    >> Whats the big deal? How come you would suddenly change from Skype to
    >> Google now that eBay bought them?

    > I have a longtime hatred of ebay and controlling companies :)
    >
    > --
    > http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Funny huh by purchasing skype ebay may inadvertantly cause the death of
    skype and thus lose 4 billion dollars in the process. At which time, skype
    will return to the original owners and become popular again.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Sep 14, 2005
  10. Gary L T

    Philip Guest

    Skype only lets you call PC to PC for free. If you want to call from PC
    to real phone for free, use www.voipuser.org . You need a SIP software
    to use it, I recommend www.nch.com.au/talk .
    Philip, Sep 14, 2005
  11. "Philip" <> wrote in message
    > Skype only lets you call PC to PC for free. If you want to call from PC
    > to real phone for free, use www.voipuser.org . You need a SIP software
    > to use it, I recommend www.nch.com.au/talk .

    but, sip does not work through nat routers right?
    news.xtra.co.nz, Sep 14, 2005
  12. Gary L T

    Philip Guest

    >but, sip does not work through nat routers right?

    Yes they do. I'm using it right now through a nat router. I think the
    wizard in Express Talk will automatically enable something called STUN
    in the software

    There's a post about VoIP in NZ at
    http://www.telescum.co.nz/forums/viewtopic.php?t=81
    Philip, Sep 14, 2005
  13. Gary L T

    cyril Guest

    I use Express talk, with an overseas SIP server, and also have just
    signed up with www.sipserve.co.nz, so far seems great, you can organise
    an Auckland 09 number if you wish for $10/month and all calls to it
    (inbound) are free.

    Cyril

    cyril, Sep 14, 2005
  14. Gary L T

    cyril Guest

    ohh, and STUN powered right through my router after quickly esablishing
    that without STUN it would not work, so no need to fiddle with the
    router with the Express Talk software.

    Cyril
    cyril, Sep 14, 2005
  15. In article <432762c9$>, "Gary L T" <> wrote:

    >I wondered if anyone has had any experience using Skype...

    I have a client who uses it all the time. He called me from Europe with
    it last week, and there were a few dropouts, but it remained coherent
    enough for me to walk him (CLI-ignorant as he was) through booting a
    Linux box into single-user mode and deleting some files in /tmp to free
    up space. Make of that what you will. :)

    This paper
    <http://www.geocities.com/bergstromdennis/Skype_Analysis_1_3.pdf> offers
    an overview of some security-related aspects of how Skype works. It also
    draws attention to some rather odd wording in the EULA.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Sep 14, 2005
  16. Gary L T

    Stan Guest

    "Gary L T" <> wrote in message news:432762c9$...
    >I wondered if anyone has had any experience using Skype:
    >http://www.skype.com
    >
    > They say their software will let you make free calls to your friends all
    > over the world.
    >
    > Would you need broadband to take advantage of this service?
    >
    > Is there any other software that competes with Skype that would be as good
    > or better?
    >
    > Thanks for your comments
    >
    > Gary

    Gary,

    I regularly use Skype to speak with friends and colleagues around the world
    & yes I do use broadband & modem connection which is suitable for short
    conversations, there are other services it depends on how much you're
    willing to pay

    Stan
    Stan, Sep 14, 2005
  17. Gary L T

    Gary L T Guest

    "Stan" <> wrote in message

    > "Gary L T" <> wrote in message
    >>I wondered if anyone has had any experience using Skype:
    >>http://www.skype.com
    >>
    >> They say their software will let you make free calls to your friends all
    >> over the world.
    >>
    >> Would you need broadband to take advantage of this service?
    >>
    >> Is there any other software that competes with Skype that would be as
    >> good
    >> or better?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your comments
    >>
    >> Gary

    > Gary,
    >
    > I regularly use Skype to speak with friends and colleagues around the
    > world & yes I do use broadband & modem connection which is suitable for
    > short conversations, there are other services it depends on how much
    > you're willing to pay

    Thanks to everyone for their help with this enquiry. Does SKYPE work with
    Windows 98? I see that you don't need broadband for the system to work
    successfully. I wonder if using SKYPE for a few hours a week would use up
    much of your monthly broadband traffic allowance?

    Thanks, Gary
    Gary L T, Sep 14, 2005
  18. Gary L T wrote:
    > Thanks to everyone for their help with this enquiry. Does SKYPE work with
    > Windows 98?

    not too sure, but their website should tell you minimum specs.

    > I see that you don't need broadband for the system to work
    > successfully. I wonder if using SKYPE for a few hours a week would use up
    > much of your monthly broadband traffic allowance?

    It will use as much of your net as you give it.
    I've used it on dialup(~0.5Mbyte/min), on 128k(~1mbyte/min) and
    256k(~2mbyte/min).

    It doesn't use all of each of the connections, but it will give you
    better quality if you both have higher spec'd connections.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 14, 2005
  19. Gary L T

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in news:dgbg9m.1dg.1
    @fairground.synaptic.net.nz:

    > It will use as much of your net as you give it.

    It also will use your bandwidth to help others get their conversations from
    end to end, when you are not using it and it is sitting in the systray. I
    close mine for this reason when I am not using it.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Sep 15, 2005
  20. Gary L T

    Daver Guest

    Yes it works on Win98 even the pre SE original.

    Daver, Sep 15, 2005