Skype down

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XPD, Aug 16, 2007.

  1. XPD

    XPD Guest

    UPDATED 16 August, 2007 14:02 GMT: Some of you may be having problems
    logging in to Skype. Our engineering team has determined that it's a
    software issue. We expect this to be resolved within 12 to 24 hours.
    Meanwhile, you can simply leave your Skype client running and as soon as the
    issue is resolved, you will be logged in. We apologize for the inconvenience
    - Skype.com

    XPD, Aug 16, 2007

  2. XPD

    Kent Smith Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > UPDATED 16 August, 2007 14:02 GMT: Some of you may be having problems
    > logging in to Skype. Our engineering team has determined that it's a
    > software issue. We expect this to be resolved within 12 to 24 hours.
    > Meanwhile, you can simply leave your Skype client running and as soon
    > as the issue is resolved, you will be logged in. We apologize for the
    > inconvenience - Skype.com

    I noticed it didn't connect this morning - was just about to reboot - thanks
    for saving me the pain. :)

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Aug 16, 2007

  3. Another reason to avoid Skype, besides those I posted earlier.

    <http://techdirt.com/articles/20070816/102346.shtml>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 16, 2007
  4. XPD

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 10:57:16 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> exclaimed:

    >Another reason to avoid Skype, besides those I posted earlier.
    >
    ><http://techdirt.com/articles/20070816/102346.shtml>

    Oh. My. God.

    He hates Skype too!!! That's laughable!!

    Fred Dagg, Aug 17, 2007
  5. XPD

    Mutlley Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >Another reason to avoid Skype, besides those I posted earlier.
    >
    ><http://techdirt.com/articles/20070816/102346.shtml>

    kind of strange that Skype stopped worked two days after a major MS
    update .. Wonder if MS put some blocking in the patch??

    Mutlley, Aug 17, 2007
  6. In message <>, Mutlley wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>Another reason to avoid Skype, besides those I posted earlier.
    >>
    >><http://techdirt.com/articles/20070816/102346.shtml>

    > kind of strange that Skype stopped worked two days after a major MS
    > update .. Wonder if MS put some blocking in the patch??

    What, on the Skype servers?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 17, 2007
  7. XPD

    Mutlley Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Mutlley wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Another reason to avoid Skype, besides those I posted earlier.
    >>>
    >>><http://techdirt.com/articles/20070816/102346.shtml>

    >> kind of strange that Skype stopped worked two days after a major MS
    >> update .. Wonder if MS put some blocking in the patch??

    >What, on the Skype servers?

    Not servers.. Clients

    "Too few machines that can act as nodes are available to relay
    packets, meaning all users on all platforms can only connect
    sporadically."

    You never know..

    Mutlley, Aug 17, 2007
  8. On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:59:46 +1200, Mutlley <>
    wrote in <news:>:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >>> kind of strange that Skype stopped worked two days after a major MS
    >>> update .. Wonder if MS put some blocking in the patch??

    >>What, on the Skype servers?

    > Not servers.. Clients
    >
    > "Too few machines that can act as nodes are available to relay
    > packets, meaning all users on all platforms can only connect
    > sporadically."
    >
    > You never know..

    Never attribute to malice that which can be blamed on incompetence...

    --
    Nicolaas.

    .... Being insane isn't so bad -- the bad part is the company one is forced
    to keep...

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 17, 2007
  9. In message <>, Mutlley wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >>> kind of strange that Skype stopped worked two days after a major MS
    >>> update .. Wonder if MS put some blocking in the patch??

    >>What, on the Skype servers?

    > Not servers.. Clients
    >
    > "Too few machines that can act as nodes are available to relay
    > packets, meaning all users on all platforms can only connect
    > sporadically."

    So the problem is not enough supernodes?

    I'd say the punters are starting to catch on. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 17, 2007
  10. In message <fa2kjq$bpe$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Another reason to avoid Skype...

    This Register item <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/16/skype_down/> has
    lots of comments from readers suggesting SIP-based alternatives. Always
    best to try to go for open standards, I say...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 17, 2007
  11. XPD

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in news:fa3aak
    $ift$:

    > So the problem is not enough supernodes?
    >
    > I'd say the punters are starting to catch on. :)

    I don't mind the idea of supernodes, but when you have to pay for the
    bandwidth they use, that is different.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Aug 17, 2007
  12. XPD

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 17:39:11 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> exclaimed:

    >In message <fa2kjq$bpe$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Another reason to avoid Skype...

    >This Register item <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/16/skype_down/> has
    >lots of comments from readers suggesting SIP-based alternatives. Always
    >best to try to go for open standards, I say...

    Yes, but you're a moron...

    Always best to go for the best product, everyone else says...

    Fred Dagg, Aug 17, 2007
  13. XPD

    Mutlley Guest

    Re: Skype down.. Skype says crash followed Windows security update

    Mutlley <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >>> kind of strange that Skype stopped worked two days after a major MS
    >>> update .. Wonder if MS put some blocking in the patch??

    >>What, on the Skype servers?

    >Not servers.. Clients
    >
    >"Too few machines that can act as nodes are available to relay
    >packets, meaning all users on all platforms can only connect
    >sporadically."
    >
    >You never know..

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070820/tc_infoworld/91159

    San Francisco (IDGNS) - The widespread failure of Skype's Internet
    telephony service last week happened when millions of Windows users
    tried to log in to the system at the same time, after downloading a
    software update from Microsoft and rebooting their machines, Skype
    said Monday.

    Mutlley, Aug 21, 2007
  14. XPD

    Kent Smith Guest

    http://heartbeat.skype.com/

    Kent Smith, Aug 21, 2007
  15. XPD

    Kent Smith Guest

    Kent Smith wrote:
    > Mutlley wrote:
    >> Mutlley <> wrote:

    >>> Not servers.. Clients
    >>>
    >>> "Too few machines that can act as nodes are available to relay
    >>> packets, meaning all users on all platforms can only connect
    >>> sporadically."
    >>>
    >>> You never know..

    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070820/tc_infoworld/91159
    >>
    >> San Francisco (IDGNS) - The widespread failure of Skype's Internet
    >> telephony service last week happened when millions of Windows users
    >> tried to log in to the system at the same time, after downloading a
    >> software update from Microsoft and rebooting their machines, Skype
    >> said Monday.

    http://heartbeat.skype.com/

    The disruption was triggered by a massive restart of our users' computers
    across the globe within a very short timeframe as they re-booted after
    receiving a routine set of patches through Windows Update.
    The high number of restarts affected Skype's network resources. This caused
    a flood of log-in requests, which, combined with the lack of peer-to-peer
    network resources, prompted a chain reaction that had a critical impact.

    Normally Skype's peer-to-peer network has an inbuilt ability to self-heal,
    however, this event revealed a previously unseen software bug within the
    network resource allocation algorithm which prevented the self-healing
    function from working quickly. Regrettably, as a result of this disruption,
    Skype was unavailable to the majority of its users for approximately two
    days.

    The issue has now been identified explicitly within Skype. We can confirm
    categorically that no malicious activities were attributed or that our users'
    security was not, at any point, at risk.

    This disruption was unprecedented in terms of its impact and scope. We would
    like to point out that very few technologies or communications networks
    today are guaranteed to operate without interruptions.

    We are very proud that over the four years of its operation, Skype has
    provided a technically resilient communications tool to millions of people
    worldwide. Skype has now identified and already introduced a number of
    improvements to its software to ensure that our users will not be similarly
    affected in the unlikely possibility of this combination of events
    recurring.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Aug 21, 2007
  16. Re: Skype down.. Skype says crash followed Windows security update

    In message <fadfm5$2cql$>, Kent Smith wrote:

    > http://heartbeat.skype.com/
    >
    > The disruption was triggered by a massive restart of our users' computers
    > across the globe within a very short timeframe as they re-booted after
    > receiving a routine set of patches through Windows Update.

    Some are questioning this story
    <http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/web_services_browser/windows_update_skype_me.html>.
    There have been Windows updates before, why did only this one trigger the
    outage?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 21, 2007
  17. Re: Skype down.. Skype says crash followed Windows security update

    Mutlley wrote:
    > Mutlley <> wrote:
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >>> What, on the Skype servers?

    >> Not servers.. Clients
    >> "Too few machines that can act as nodes are available to relay
    >> packets, meaning all users on all platforms can only connect
    >> sporadically."
    >> You never know..

    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070820/tc_infoworld/91159
    >
    > San Francisco (IDGNS) - The widespread failure of Skype's Internet
    > telephony service last week happened when millions of Windows users
    > tried to log in to the system at the same time, after downloading a
    > software update from Microsoft and rebooting their machines, Skype
    > said Monday.

    Oops.

    Microsoft rebooted their botnet and Skype fell over.

    I bet Microsoft send Skype a bill.

    Mark Robinson, Aug 21, 2007
  18. In message <fa2kjq$bpe$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Another reason to avoid Skype...

    Another take on the issue:
    <http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/beware_of_skype>. Paranoia or
    coincidence? You decide.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 27, 2007
  19. In message <fa2kjq$bpe$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Another reason to avoid Skype...

    Turns out it snoops on your system
    <http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=41932>. This is on a Linux
    system, where tools exist to spot and control this kind of thing. Imagine
    what it's doing on Dimdows?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 27, 2007