skype delay

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by jim, Feb 9, 2006.

  1. jim

    jim Guest

    Hi all,
    I hope someone can help me. When making a skypeout call, there is a
    propogation delay of perhaps 3/4 to 1 second from the time the speaker
    sends until the "speakee" receives. This happens when calling from my
    computer to my landline. Yet when we talk from computer to computer
    using skype in the same house there is no delay. I suppose this is
    reasonable and assume skype sets up the routing for interconnection
    between the computers.

    I live in New Zealand: Does anyone know how the call gets from wherever
    to my phone? At the moment I am supposing that, because of the cheap
    call rate, the calling number is offshore, probably in continental USA.

    I have unsuccessfully searched the skype website for an answer;
    similarly an email to skype solicited a standard reply which was of no
    use. (curiously, they invited me to ask them again :)

    If anyone has any information regarding this delay, I would be grateful.
    Thanks,
    Jim.
    jim, Feb 9, 2006

  2. jim

    Ian Guest

    "jim" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I hope someone can help me. When making a skypeout call, there is a
    > propogation delay of perhaps 3/4 to 1 second from the time the speaker
    > sends until the "speakee" receives. This happens when calling from my
    > computer to my landline. Yet when we talk from computer to computer
    > using skype in the same house there is no delay. I suppose this is
    > reasonable and assume skype sets up the routing for interconnection
    > between the computers.
    >
    > I live in New Zealand: Does anyone know how the call gets from wherever
    > to my phone? At the moment I am supposing that, because of the cheap
    > call rate, the calling number is offshore, probably in continental USA.
    >
    > I have unsuccessfully searched the skype website for an answer;
    > similarly an email to skype solicited a standard reply which was of no
    > use. (curiously, they invited me to ask them again :)
    >
    > If anyone has any information regarding this delay, I would be grateful.
    > Thanks,
    > Jim.

    boils down in part to basics physics.
    pc to pc voice stream is pc to pc so the electrons dont have far to travel
    pc to pstn has to go via the interconnect hence the electrons have to travel
    further.
    so i suppose 750 to 1000ms may be possible if you include the time to
    gateway delay i the gateway and then the time to get back to you. + delays
    in all the routers on the way.

    Ian
    Ian, Feb 9, 2006

  3. jim

    alexd Guest

    "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote:

    > boils down in part to basics physics.
    > pc to pc voice stream is pc to pc so the electrons dont have far to travel
    > pc to pstn has to go via the interconnect hence the electrons have to
    > travel further.
    > so i suppose 750 to 1000ms may be possible if you include the time to
    > gateway delay i the gateway and then the time to get back to you. + delays
    > in all the routers on the way.

    The OP might also like to have a look at what sort of electrons his
    computers' power supply has in it. You can upgrade the electrons to
    higher-performance VoIP-compatible ones. I got some off eBay to use in my
    Asterisk server and it massively improved call quality, dropouts, dropped
    calls, etc. I sprinkled the leftover ones on my mobile phone and they
    worked wonders there too.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:59:20 up 15 days, 1:17, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
    alexd, Feb 9, 2006
  4. jim

    Victor Delta Guest

    > boils down in part to basics physics.
    > pc to pc voice stream is pc to pc so the electrons dont have far to travel
    > pc to pstn has to go via the interconnect hence the electrons have to
    > travel
    > further.

    No sure your 'basic physics' is correct. The propagation delay will increase
    with the path length but, as far as I recall, the electrons vibrate along
    it's length - they don't travel from one end to the other.
    Victor Delta, Feb 9, 2006
  5. jim

    Simon Higgs Guest

    Victor Delta <> wrote:

    > > boils down in part to basics physics.
    > > pc to pc voice stream is pc to pc so the electrons dont have far to travel
    > > pc to pstn has to go via the interconnect hence the electrons have to
    > > travel
    > > further.

    > No sure your 'basic physics' is correct. The propagation delay will increase
    > with the path length but, as far as I recall, the electrons vibrate along
    > it's length - they don't travel from one end to the other.

    I remember being taught that they [electrons] do move, although
    reletivly slowly, to a higher potential. It was a long time ago, though!

    Simon.
    Simon Higgs, Feb 9, 2006
  6. On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 23:55:37 +0000, lid (Simon
    Higgs) wrote:

    >Victor Delta <> wrote:
    >
    >> > boils down in part to basics physics.
    >> > pc to pc voice stream is pc to pc so the electrons dont have far to travel
    >> > pc to pstn has to go via the interconnect hence the electrons have to
    >> > travel
    >> > further.

    >> No sure your 'basic physics' is correct. The propagation delay will increase
    >> with the path length but, as far as I recall, the electrons vibrate along
    >> it's length - they don't travel from one end to the other.

    >I remember being taught that they [electrons] do move, although
    >reletivly slowly, to a higher potential. It was a long time ago, though!

    They'll all have moved by now then...

    tarquinlinbin, Feb 10, 2006