    what kind of plan would make sense.

    Thanks,

    Alan.
    Alan, Apr 5, 2005

  2. Alan wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am considering moving to a broadband connection at home in order to
    > be able to use Skype to call friends and family in the UK.
    >
    > Does anyone have any data regarding the amount of data transfer that a
    > Skype call would typically generate (in and out) per minute?
    >
    > Estimates and indications are fine - I just want to get a feel for
    > what kind of plan would make sense.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan.

    When i use skype it uses about 5kb/s download and 5kb/s upload so thats
    about 17.5mb an hour i think..
    I have heard rumours on this newgroups and from other places that
    telecom may be planning to stuff up VoIP ( eg skype ) sometime soon so
    that there is a .5 second cap of no noise every 1 second, but i
    personally don't think they will, and rumours are just rumours..
    Mark Underwood, Apr 5, 2005

  3. Alan

    Gurble Guest

    On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 21:06:26 +1200, "Alan" <> had this to
    say:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >I am considering moving to a broadband connection at home in order to
    >be able to use Skype to call friends and family in the UK.
    >
    >Does anyone have any data regarding the amount of data transfer that a
    >Skype call would typically generate (in and out) per minute?
    >
    >Estimates and indications are fine - I just want to get a feel for
    >what kind of plan would make sense.

    About 20MB an hour.
    Gurble, Apr 5, 2005
  4. Alan

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <mzs4e.16112$>,
    "Alan" <> wrote:

    > I am considering moving to a broadband connection at home in order to
    > be able to use Skype to call friends and family in the UK.
    >
    > Does anyone have any data regarding the amount of data transfer that a
    > Skype call would typically generate (in and out) per minute?

    I've used both Skype and Apple's iChat to voice chat to people around
    the world -- including an A/B test with someone in Germany.

    Both use pretty much 50 MB/hour of combined up/down traffic.

    Talking to Germany the voice quality on Skype suffered from time to time
    in that it would get "thin" sounding. That never seemed to happen with
    iChat. Other than that they were very comparable.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Bruce Hoult, Apr 5, 2005
  5. "Mark Underwood" <> wrote in message
    > When i use skype it uses about 5kb/s download and 5kb/s upload so thats
    > about 17.5mb an hour i think..
    > I have heard rumours on this newgroups and from other places that telecom
    > may be planning to stuff up VoIP ( eg skype ) sometime soon so that there
    > is a .5 second cap of no noise every 1 second, but i personally don't
    > think they will, and rumours are just rumours..

    This was a a question raise by Rob Cringely, an American columnist
    (http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050303.html). He was talking
    about telcos using this kind of subterfuge to lure users back, away from
    VoIP (unless provided by them).

    Someone at Computerworld (I saw this article last week) picked up the story
    and asked Telecom NZ if this was their plan too. So, it wasn't a rumour
    until someone asked about it. AFAIK the "rumour" didn't start on the TNZ
    side, and it actually is a story from the other side of the world.

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz
    Mauricio Freitas, Apr 5, 2005