Skype crashes laptop

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by WithLove, Dec 16, 2005.

  1. WithLove

    WithLove Guest

    Hello, All!

    In the middle of a conversation with Skype on my laptop, sometimes suddenly
    the screen goes black, some loud clicks on my headphones, and the laptop
    turns off and then on again. Windows starts up again and I get a black
    screen with big white characters asking me what I want. I choose: Start
    Windows normally, and then sometimes checkdisk is starting. It takes ages to
    finisch checkdisk.
    Then Windows comes up and I start Skype again, I call the person back and
    all runs normal.

    This occurs approx. once every week.
    Is this a hardware conflict?

    Windows XP home with SP2
    Skype all versions (1.x and 2.x)
    Laptop: Acer Aspire 1353LC

    Thanks...
    WithLove.

    WithLove, Dec 16, 2005

  2. WithLove

    Doz Guest

    On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 21:55:28 +0100, WithLove wrote:

    > Hello, All!
    >
    > In the middle of a conversation with Skype on my laptop, sometimes suddenly
    > the screen goes black, some loud clicks on my headphones, and the laptop
    > turns off and then on again. Windows starts up again and I get a black
    > screen with big white characters asking me what I want. I choose: Start
    > Windows normally, and then sometimes checkdisk is starting. It takes ages to
    > finisch checkdisk.
    > Then Windows comes up and I start Skype again, I call the person back and
    > all runs normal.
    >
    > This occurs approx. once every week.
    > Is this a hardware conflict?
    >
    > Windows XP home with SP2
    > Skype all versions (1.x and 2.x)
    > Laptop: Acer Aspire 1353LC
    >
    > Thanks...
    > WithLove.

    You probably need to run some hard disk diagnostics... it's usually the first
    thing that goes in a laptop (apart from the battery)

    Try doing a manual checkdisk ( " chkdsk c: /F /R " at a command prompt - it
    will run on the next reboot)

    If it reports "bad blocks" then you'll need to consider a replacement disk.

    Doz, Dec 19, 2005

  3. WithLove

    Guest

    Don't bother checking your machine looking round various forums this
    happens a lot

    , Dec 20, 2005
  4. WithLove

    Doz Guest

    On 20 Dec 2005 04:43:23 -0800, wrote:

    > Don't bother checking your machine looking round various forums this
    > happens a lot

    No it doesn't... my Pc's on 24x7 running xp pro and I reboot it about once a
    month. Runs skype all the time over a wifi link and acts as a CCTV recorder
    using I-catcher. www.icode.co.uk

    Doz, Dec 22, 2005
  5. I agree,

    I run Skype on a machine 24x7 for months on end without problems. the only
    time the PC reboots is when XP auto updates force it to!

    The problem is not with Skype.

    Regards,

    Paul

    Paul Westwell, Dec 22, 2005