    of a regular telephone?

    Thanks for any assistance.
    Karl
    KarlB, Jul 5, 2006

  2. KarlB

    Rich Guest

    If you want to attach a normal phone to a PC check out

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-VOI...5QQihZ004QQcategoryZ61841QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    Use one myself - works fine in Skype and MSN. It basically just
    converts your phone to a soundcard.

    Rich

    On 4 Jul 2006 22:11:38 -0700, "KarlB" <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I was going to go with BT Broadband Talk but I read a lot of good
    >things about Skype. Can you recommend a good headphone set?
    >
    >Also I take it there is no way to use a regular phone with Skype. Is
    >that correct?
    >
    >I have one person I currently telephone in the USA on a daily basis,
    >sometimes over 2 hours a day. I currently use call18866.co.uk, but even
    >that gets a little pricey over time.
    >
    >Are there any other VOIP option you can recommend that allows the use
    >of a regular telephone?
    >
    >Thanks for any assistance.
    >Karl

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0627-0, 03/07/2006
    Tested on: 05/07/2006 08:04:13
    Rich, Jul 5, 2006

  3. KarlB

    Sean Guest

    Well, for a 2 hour call to the USA, it's cheaper with BTBBT than skype.
    Sean, Jul 5, 2006
  4. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jul 5, 2006
  5. KarlB

    Brian A Guest

    On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 09:55:36 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"

    >Thus spaketh Sean:
    >> KarlB wrote:
    >>
    >> Well, for a 2 hour call to the USA, it's cheaper with BTBBT than
    >> skype.

    >With Skype being one of the dearest providers, that's not surprising.

    Yes, don't waste your time and money on Skype - go for a proper Voip
    set up. You can get an ATA quite cheaply now and use your standard
    phones on it. Lots of providers to choose from. Why bother with Noddy
    phone when you can have Superman phone :)
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Jul 5, 2006
  6. KarlB

    Beds Guest

    Well I was thinking Skype to Skype. No charge there - is there?

    Thanks
    Beds, Jul 5, 2006
  7. KarlB

    Sean Guest

    Beds wrote:
    > Well I was thinking Skype to Skype. No charge there - is there?
    >
    > Thanks

    No there is not.

    Also, if you get a ATA in two locations, or a ATA and a softphone, or
    two softphones (all of which are SIP compatable) then you can make free
    VoIP calls between users here.

    Skype allows you to call other Skype users for free... But SIP
    computable open providers allow you to call other SIP users for free.

    FWD, sipgate, voipfone, voipuser, voiptalk, gossiptel are just some of
    top of my head
    Sean, Jul 5, 2006
  8. KarlB

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Beds" <> wrote in message
    > Well I was thinking Skype to Skype. No charge there - is
    > there?
    >
    > Thanks

    No charge for calls on any provider if it is to another user on the same
    system.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 5, 2006
  9. KarlB

    Brian A Guest

    On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 16:31:38 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"Beds" <> wrote in message
    >> Well I was thinking Skype to Skype. No charge there - is
    >> there?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >No charge for calls on any provider if it is to another user on the same
    >system.
    >
    >Ivor

    ..
    Even more, no charge to most other providers either if you use
    Sipbroker.
    Sorry but I am a SIP VOIP snob...I've used Skype but I don't take it
    seriously.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Jul 5, 2006
  10. KarlB

    Wik Ed Guest

    On 4 Jul 2006 22:11:38 -0700, "KarlB" <>, wrote:

    >I was going to go with BT Broadband Talk but I read a lot of good
    >things about Skype. Can you recommend a good headphone set?

    Skype to Skype is free anywhere in the world.

    Skype headset
    http://accessories.skype.com/item?SID=c3bcd436cd81d1f7b8c7f3a9cd57bd22efc:4580&sku=SPRO04

    watch for a line wrap.

    It is great. Perfect sound. Instant integration with existing XP
    audio and other software products.
    The same Headset can be bought for 20GBP via eBay

    >Also I take it there is no way to use a regular phone with Skype. Is
    >that correct?

    Not true. Such as this product
    http://accessories.skype.com/item?SID=c3bcd436cd81d1f7b8c7f3a9cd57bd22efc:4580&sku=VOIP3211S
    watch the wrap :)

    There is no reason why you cannot install Skype + MSN + VoIP
    from another provider and still use your BT landline and get the best
    from all these providers.

    Forget the closed minds. Skype is not a Disney product.
    It works brilliantly. USB quality is as good as my Dect BT line.
    The mono USB headset enables me to work and chat.
    The Dect VoIP allows me to answer landline calls, and make
    landline & VoIP calls too. This way I get the best methods of
    talking with all people regardless of whether they are tech-heads,
    landline tied, or simply PC home users.

    Don't forget that you don't need a special headset or phone to try
    Skype. A simple 2 GBP headset and a free download of Skype will let
    you try the product with no commitment and not even a real name and
    address. Just a working email address.
    If you don't like it just Un install it.

    Also check out
    http://www.voipproducts.eu/
    www.sipgate.co.uk
    http://www.voiptalk.org/products/index.php
    also look at this help screen
    http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Skype-How...0000109027?ssPageName=BUYGD:CAT:-1:LISTINGS:2

    and a big line wrap on the last link.

    HTH answer your questions and points you at places that help you make
    the choices that are best for you.

    Wik Ed
    Wik Ed, Jul 5, 2006
  11. KarlB

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Wik Ed" <> wrote in message
    > On 4 Jul 2006 22:11:38 -0700, "KarlB"
    > <>, wrote:
    >
    > > I was going to go with BT Broadband Talk but I read a
    > > lot of good things about Skype. Can you recommend a
    > > good headphone set?
    > >

    > Skype to Skype is free anywhere in the world.

    Any user on any SIP provider to any user on the same or many others with
    peering, wherever in the world they are located. I take my SPA-1001 with
    me to the USA and Germany and it works fine.

    Why limit yourself to a system that requires a PC to be on..? Ok maybe if
    you're in a hotel room with a laptop but not if you're where you may not
    be able to leave a PC on all the time.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 5, 2006
  12. KarlB

    Jon Farmer Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    Any user on any SIP provider to any user on the same or many others with
    > peering, wherever in the world they are located. I take my SPA-1001 with
    > me to the USA and Germany and it works fine.
    >
    > Why limit yourself to a system that requires a PC to be on..? Ok maybe if
    > you're in a hotel room with a laptop but not if you're where you may not
    > be able to leave a PC on all the time.

    I have a Zyxel P2000 W which I can use at the airport, pub, McDoanlds,
    in the city ........... and sometimes I even pay for the bandwidth :)

    Jon
    Jon Farmer, Jul 5, 2006
  13. KarlB

    Brian A Guest

    On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 22:04:42 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"Wik Ed" <> wrote in message
    >> On 4 Jul 2006 22:11:38 -0700, "KarlB"
    >> <>, wrote:
    >>
    >> > I was going to go with BT Broadband Talk but I read a
    >> > lot of good things about Skype. Can you recommend a
    >> > good headphone set?
    >> >

    >> Skype to Skype is free anywhere in the world.

    >Any user on any SIP provider to any user on the same or many others with
    >peering, wherever in the world they are located. I take my SPA-1001 with
    >me to the USA and Germany and it works fine.
    >
    >Why limit yourself to a system that requires a PC to be on..? Ok maybe if
    >you're in a hotel room with a laptop but not if you're where you may not
    >be able to leave a PC on all the time.

    What I can't understand either, Ivor, is why people spend good money
    on Skype 'add ons' . It must be the hype and confusion that surrounds
    Skype. A bit like my neighbour thinks that the Telewest phone service
    is good value for money - at 6p connection charge, and their per
    minute charges, how could anyone think that - but they are just taken
    in by the marketing and don't look any further.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Jul 5, 2006
  14. KarlB

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-07-05, Ivor Jones <> wrote:

    > "Wik Ed" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Skype to Skype is free anywhere in the world.

    > Any user on any SIP provider to any user on the same or many others with
    > peering, wherever in the world they are located. I take my SPA-1001 with
    > me to the USA and Germany and it works fine.

    Being able to communicate by audio over the internet has been around longer
    than Skype and pre-dates the widespread adoption of SIP. It comes about simply
    because people have access to the internet. So I'm not convinced that either
    Skype or a SIP based service have the edge when it comes to making free
    telephone calls to users on the same network.

    > Why limit yourself to a system that requires a PC to be on..? Ok maybe if
    > you're in a hotel room with a laptop but not if you're where you may not
    > be able to leave a PC on all the time.

    Further down in Wik Ed's post there is a description of how she/he uses VoIP.
    I thought this was an interesting approach and quite the opposite of limiting
    in its attitude towards communication. Of course, a PC will have to be on to
    use Skype but think of the opportunity it presents - asterisk could be
    installed on the same machine.

    Brian.
    Brian, Jul 6, 2006
  15. KarlB

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-07-05, Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    > >
    > > "Wik Ed" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > Skype to Skype is free anywhere in the world.

    > > Any user on any SIP provider to any user on the same or
    > > many others with peering, wherever in the world they
    > > are located. I take my SPA-1001 with me to the USA and
    > > Germany and it works fine.

    > Being able to communicate by audio over the internet has
    > been around longer than Skype and pre-dates the
    > widespread adoption of SIP. It comes about simply
    > because people have access to the internet. So I'm not
    > convinced that either Skype or a SIP based service have
    > the edge when it comes to making free telephone calls to
    > users on the same network.

    Any system that doesn't require a PC has the edge. PC's crash and also
    consume larger quantities of electricity for a start..! The only time I
    use a softphone is when I have my laptop with me at a Wi-Fi hotspot, if
    I'm in a fixed location with access to an Ethernet socket I use an ATA and
    a phone.

    > > Why limit yourself to a system that requires a PC to be
    > > on..? Ok maybe if you're in a hotel room with a laptop
    > > but not if you're where you may not be able to leave a
    > > PC on all the time.

    > Further down in Wik Ed's post there is a description of
    > how she/he uses VoIP. I thought this was an interesting
    > approach and quite the opposite of limiting in its
    > attitude towards communication. Of course, a PC will
    > have to be on to use Skype but think of the opportunity
    > it presents - asterisk could be installed on the same
    > machine.

    Asterisk is overkill for the majority of people. Ok, it's fine for those
    who like to tinker, but for the average end user it's not really required,
    is it..?!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 6, 2006
  16. On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 22:04:42 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >Why limit yourself to a system that requires a PC to be on..? Ok maybe if
    >you're in a hotel room with a laptop but not if you're where you may not
    >be able to leave a PC on all the time.

    For me Skype is useful when I'm away from home, if I have a hotel with
    internet I can usually get Skype to work, whereas I have rarely got
    SIP to work. At home, I only use SIP based systems at home.
    --
    Stephen M Baines

    http://www.alledal.nu
    http://gallery.vollans.co.uk/
    Stephen M Baines, Jul 6, 2006
  17. KarlB

    Guest

    On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 21:57:42 GMT, Brian A
    <>, wrote:

    >What I can't understand either, Ivor, is why people spend good money
    >on Skype 'add ons' .

    Maybe it is the same people who buy endless tunes and pics for their
    mobile phones? I think that is a crazy waste of money but it earns
    huge revenues for the purveyors of such junk. It must be popular with
    a large number of people or there wouldn't be so many firms making a
    packet out of selling it.

    Personally I think it is just a case of kids having too much cash ;-)
    In my day we were lucky to have 4d to put in a phone <LOL>

    Wik Ed
    , Jul 6, 2006
  18. KarlB

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 21:57:42 GMT, Brian A
    > <>, wrote:
    >
    > > What I can't understand either, Ivor, is why people
    > > spend good money on Skype 'add ons' .

    > Maybe it is the same people who buy endless tunes and
    > pics for their mobile phones? I think that is a crazy
    > waste of money but it earns huge revenues for the
    > purveyors of such junk. It must be popular with a large
    > number of people or there wouldn't be so many firms
    > making a packet out of selling it.
    >
    > Personally I think it is just a case of kids having too
    > much cash ;-) In my day we were lucky to have 4d to put
    > in a phone <LOL>

    A guy I used to know was a manager in one of the Orange shops. He told me
    that several young girls (10 to 14 age range) used to regularly come into
    his shop and buy a fiver's worth of credit for their PAYG phones. Then
    they'd be back within a day or two for another fiver..! Me, it takes me 3
    months to use a fiver on mine..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 6, 2006
  19. KarlB

    andy Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > > On 2006-07-05, Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > "Wik Ed" <> wrote in message

    > > > Any user on any SIP provider to any user on the same or
    > > > many others with peering, wherever in the world they
    > > > are located. I take my SPA-1001 with me to the USA and
    > > > Germany and it works fine.

    > > Being able to communicate by audio over the internet has
    > > been around longer than Skype and pre-dates the
    > > widespread adoption of SIP. It comes about simply
    > > because people have access to the internet. So I'm not
    > > convinced that either Skype or a SIP based service have
    > > the edge when it comes to making free telephone calls to
    > > users on the same network.

    > Any system that doesn't require a PC has the edge. PC's crash and also
    > consume larger quantities of electricity for a start..! The only time I
    > use a softphone is when I have my laptop with me at a Wi-Fi hotspot, if
    > I'm in a fixed location with access to an Ethernet socket I use an ATA and
    > a phone.
    >
    > > > Why limit yourself to a system that requires a PC to be
    > > > on..? Ok maybe if you're in a hotel room with a laptop
    > > > but not if you're where you may not be able to leave a
    > > > PC on all the time.

    > > Further down in Wik Ed's post there is a description of
    > > how she/he uses VoIP. I thought this was an interesting
    > > approach and quite the opposite of limiting in its
    > > attitude towards communication. Of course, a PC will
    > > have to be on to use Skype but think of the opportunity
    > > it presents - asterisk could be installed on the same
    > > machine.

    > Asterisk is overkill for the majority of people. Ok, it's fine for those
    > who like to tinker, but for the average end user it's not really required,
    > is it..?!
    >
    > Ivor

    I've been trying to decide which is the best starting point for what
    I'll say about this SIP vs Skype amusing discussion, so apologies Ivor,
    this isn't necessarily a direct reply only to this.

    I'm sitting on the fence

    I use VoIP via Skype and SIP*, without any hardware like ATA, no
    Asterisk, without the PC on, without being tied to a landline, without
    a laptop in wi-fi, remote from home, even in other countries ........

    * even both at once

    - ok the calls are not free, but 3p a minute is ok while it lasts

    just two mobile phones required

    off-topic I suppose .............
    andy, Jul 6, 2006
  20. KarlB

    Brian A Guest

    On 6 Jul 2006 08:11:54 -0700, "andy" <>
    wrote:

    >Ivor Jones wrote:
    >> "Brian" <> wrote in message

    >> > Being able to communicate by audio over the internet has
    >> > been around longer than Skype and pre-dates the
    >> > widespread adoption of SIP. It comes about simply
    >> > because people have access to the internet. So I'm not
    >> > convinced that either Skype or a SIP based service have
    >> > the edge when it comes to making free telephone calls to
    >> > users on the same network.

    >> Any system that doesn't require a PC has the edge. PC's crash and also
    >> consume larger quantities of electricity for a start..! The only time I
    >> use a softphone is when I have my laptop with me at a Wi-Fi hotspot, if
    >> I'm in a fixed location with access to an Ethernet socket I use an ATA and
    >> a phone.

    >> > Further down in Wik Ed's post there is a description of
    >> > how she/he uses VoIP. I thought this was an interesting
    >> > approach and quite the opposite of limiting in its
    >> > attitude towards communication. Of course, a PC will
    >> > have to be on to use Skype but think of the opportunity
    >> > it presents - asterisk could be installed on the same
    >> > machine.

    >> Asterisk is overkill for the majority of people. Ok, it's fine for those
    >> who like to tinker, but for the average end user it's not really required,
    >> is it..?!
    >>
    >> Ivor

    >I've been trying to decide which is the best starting point for what
    >I'll say about this SIP vs Skype amusing discussion, so apologies Ivor,
    >this isn't necessarily a direct reply only to this.
    >
    >I'm sitting on the fence
    >
    >I use VoIP via Skype and SIP*, without any hardware like ATA, no
    >Asterisk, without the PC on, without being tied to a landline, without
    >a laptop in wi-fi, remote from home, even in other countries ........
    >
    >* even both at once
    >
    >- ok the calls are not free, but 3p a minute is ok while it lasts
    >
    >just two mobile phones required

    Yes, this is an interesting use of Skype - What is it costing you in
    data charges though? - or is this a WiFi link?

    There must be a SIP VOIP equivalent in mobile software - don't know
    where to find it though.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Jul 6, 2006