    using this is 20 mins of "Hello" "Hello" <click>.

    How can I make this work better or is that par for the course with VOIP?

    Thanks for any help,

    XXXX???, Sep 14, 2005

  2. XXXX???

    Paul Cupis Guest

    XXXX??? wrote:
    > I've just started using Skype to VOIP from Brussels to UK. I'm using a
    > supposedly 6Mb cable DSL service and my wife is on a 2Mb broadband
    > product at home.

    What is the upstream speed of your 6Mb DSL? I assume the 2Mb DSL is BT
    IPStream and has an upstream of 256kbps?

    > Problem is, it's so laggy as to be virtually unusable. Half an hour
    > using this is 20 mins of "Hello" "Hello" <click>.
    >
    > How can I make this work better or is that par for the course with VOIP?

    What do yuo get if you ping one DSL from the other? What about a
    traceroute between the sites?
    Paul Cupis, Sep 14, 2005

  3. This is not the course for VOIP or Skype.

    Paul Westwell, Sep 14, 2005
  4. Thus spaketh XXXX???:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've just started using Skype to VOIP from Brussels to UK. I'm using a
    > supposedly 6Mb cable DSL service and my wife is on a 2Mb broadband
    > product at home.
    >
    > Problem is, it's so laggy as to be virtually unusable. Half an hour
    > using this is 20 mins of "Hello" "Hello" <click>.
    >
    > How can I make this work better or is that par for the course with
    > VOIP?
    >
    > Thanks for any help,

    Give www.sipgate.co.uk a try, use a UK proxy to get a UK number or get your
    Wife in the UK to sign up for both herself and yourself.

    You could also give www.voipbuster.com a try too.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Sep 15, 2005
  5. XXXX???

    XXXX??? Guest

    In article <dga75r$fb5$>, says...
    > XXXX??? wrote:
    > > I've just started using Skype to VOIP from Brussels to UK. I'm using a
    > > supposedly 6Mb cable DSL service and my wife is on a 2Mb broadband
    > > product at home.

    > What is the upstream speed of your 6Mb DSL? I assume the 2Mb DSL is BT
    > IPStream and has an upstream of 256kbps?
    >
    > > Problem is, it's so laggy as to be virtually unusable. Half an hour
    > > using this is 20 mins of "Hello" "Hello" <click>.
    > >
    > > How can I make this work better or is that par for the course with VOIP?

    > What do yuo get if you ping one DSL from the other? What about a
    > traceroute between the sites?

    The upstream from here is supposedly 192 kbps.

    Forgive my ignorance but although I know the function of traceroute and
    ping, what exactly should I be pinging, my wife's IP address? (Because
    if so, I'll have to get that this weekend when I get home - the missus
    isn't that technically minded).

    Thanks all for replies BTW.
    XXXX???, Sep 15, 2005
  6. XXXX???

    Me Guest

    >Forgive my ignorance but although I know the function of traceroute and
    >ping, what exactly should I be pinging, my wife's IP address? (Because
    >if so, I'll have to get that this weekend when I get home - the missus
    >isn't that technically minded).

    If she visits this website http://www.whatismyip.com/ it will tell her
    her external IP address

    Me
    Me, Sep 15, 2005
  7. XXXX???

    JPG Guest

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 08:29:21 +0200, XXXX??? <> wrote:

    >In article <dga75r$fb5$>, says...
    >> XXXX??? wrote:
    >> > I've just started using Skype to VOIP from Brussels to UK. I'm using a
    >> > supposedly 6Mb cable DSL service and my wife is on a 2Mb broadband
    >> > product at home.

    >> What is the upstream speed of your 6Mb DSL? I assume the 2Mb DSL is BT
    >> IPStream and has an upstream of 256kbps?
    >>
    >> > Problem is, it's so laggy as to be virtually unusable. Half an hour
    >> > using this is 20 mins of "Hello" "Hello" <click>.
    >> >
    >> > How can I make this work better or is that par for the course with VOIP?

    >> What do yuo get if you ping one DSL from the other? What about a
    >> traceroute between the sites?
    >>

    >The upstream from here is supposedly 192 kbps.
    >
    >Forgive my ignorance but although I know the function of traceroute and
    >ping, what exactly should I be pinging, my wife's IP address? (Because
    >if so, I'll have to get that this weekend when I get home - the missus
    >isn't that technically minded).

    Just get her to go to Start> Run and then type ipconfig <Enter> into the box.

    IP address is then clearly displayed.

    JPG

    JPG, Sep 15, 2005
  8. XXXX???

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "JPG" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 08:29:21 +0200, XXXX??? <>
    > wrote:

    [snip]

    > > Forgive my ignorance but although I know the function
    > > of traceroute and ping, what exactly should I be
    > > pinging, my wife's IP address? (Because if so, I'll
    > > have to get that this weekend when I get home - the
    > > missus isn't that technically minded).
    > >

    > Just get her to go to Start> Run and then type ipconfig
    > <Enter> into the box.
    >
    > IP address is then clearly displayed.

    That doesn't work on my copy of WinXP Pro - I have to go to "Command
    Prompt" and open up a "DOS" window first.

    In any case that command will only give the local PC's IP address. If it
    is behind a NAT router it won't display the public IP address and it will
    be useless for ping or traceroute purposes, in this case you will have to
    look on the main config screen on the router to check.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 15, 2005
  9. Eyvor youre doinga good job of keeping quiet arent you babe.
    LordSmickerAbacha, Sep 15, 2005

  10. > Eyvor youre doinga good job of keeping quiet arent you babe.

    That's it - I'm out of here. Off to see if I can find a VOIP forum which
    isn't populated by retards continually trying (but ultimately failing) to
    score points off each other.

    It's a real shame that just two or three idiots are wrecking what could
    otherwise be a very valuable resource. And all they end up doing is
    making themselves look pathetic (with much of that negative image
    also rubbing off on the services they can't stop promoting).

    Oh well, hope to see most of you somewhere else, and hope NOT to
    see some of you ever again.

    I wish I could say it's been fun...

    P.
    paul ockenden, Sep 15, 2005
  11. XXXX???

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "paul ockenden" <> wrote in
    message news:
    > > Eyvor youre doinga good job of keeping quiet arent you
    > > babe.

    > That's it - I'm out of here. Off to see if I can find a
    > VOIP forum which isn't populated by retards continually
    > trying (but ultimately failing) to score points off each
    > other.

    I do hope you're satisfied, Stefan. You have driven someone who could have
    been a real asset to the group away.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 15, 2005
  12. XXXX???

    XXXX??? Guest

    In article <>, lid
    says...

    > "paul ockenden" <> wrote in
    > message news:
    > > > Eyvor youre doinga good job of keeping quiet arent you
    > > > babe.

    > > That's it - I'm out of here. Off to see if I can find a
    > > VOIP forum which isn't populated by retards continually
    > > trying (but ultimately failing) to score points off each
    > > other.

    > I do hope you're satisfied, Stefan. You have driven someone who could have
    > been a real asset to the group away.
    >
    > Ivor

    Thanks all for replies and useful advice.

    Just when you mentioned Stefan, not that Stefan surely (JennyAdams,
    Sector999, etc.)?
    XXXX???, Sep 15, 2005
  13. No he talking about Saleh Jambo
    LordSmickerAbacha, Sep 15, 2005
  14. XXXX???

    Paul Cupis Guest

    XXXX??? wrote:
    > In article <>, lid
    > says...
    >>"paul ockenden" <> wrote in
    >>message news:
    >>>
    >>>That's it - I'm out of here. Off to see if I can find a
    >>>VOIP forum which isn't populated by retards continually
    >>>trying (but ultimately failing) to score points off each
    >>>other.

    >>I do hope you're satisfied, Stefan. You have driven someone who could have
    >>been a real asset to the group away.
    >>
    >>Ivor

    > Thanks all for replies and useful advice.
    >
    > Just when you mentioned Stefan, not that Stefan surely (JennyAdams,
    > Sector999, etc.)?

    Yes, that Stefan.
    Paul Cupis, Sep 15, 2005
  15. XXXX???

    XXXX??? Guest

    In article <dgca45$ekh$>, says...
    > XXXX??? wrote:
    > > In article <>, lid
    > > says...
    > >>"paul ockenden" <> wrote in
    > >>message news:

    > >>I do hope you're satisfied, Stefan. You have driven someone who could have
    > >>been a real asset to the group away.
    > >>
    > >>Ivor

    > > Thanks all for replies and useful advice.
    > >
    > > Just when you mentioned Stefan, not that Stefan surely (JennyAdams,
    > > Sector999, etc.)?

    > Yes, that Stefan.

    Well, the amount of time he spends on NGs basically must mean that he
    has no other life.
    XXXX???, Sep 15, 2005
  16. XXXX???

    ts86 Guest

    XXXX??? wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've just started using Skype to VOIP from Brussels to UK. I'm using a
    > supposedly 6Mb cable DSL service and my wife is on a 2Mb broadband
    > product at home.
    >
    > Problem is, it's so laggy as to be virtually unusable. Half an hour
    > using this is 20 mins of "Hello" "Hello" <click>.
    >
    > How can I make this work better or is that par for the course with VOIP?
    >
    > Thanks for any help,

    See if you can use a https proxy server at the ISPs.

    I had this laggy problem with South Africa to UK. Using their proxy at
    saix worked.
    ts86, Sep 15, 2005
  17. XXXX???

    XXXX??? Guest

    In article <4329f207$0$21931$>, nntp-DOT-
    says...
    > XXXX??? wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I've just started using Skype to VOIP from Brussels to UK. I'm using a
    > > supposedly 6Mb cable DSL service and my wife is on a 2Mb broadband
    > > product at home.
    > >
    > > Problem is, it's so laggy as to be virtually unusable. Half an hour
    > > using this is 20 mins of "Hello" "Hello" <click>.
    > >
    > > How can I make this work better or is that par for the course with VOIP?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help,
    > >

    > See if you can use a https proxy server at the ISPs.
    >
    > I had this laggy problem with South Africa to UK. Using their proxy at
    > saix worked.

    Thanks again all - I'll try this weekend to sort things out.
    XXXX???, Sep 16, 2005
  18. On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:57:46 GMT, Stefan Kaniuk said:

    >No he talking about Saleh Jambo

    pillock

    Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
    More than 140,000 groups
    Unlimited download
    Stefan Kaniuk is a pillock, Sep 16, 2005
  19. Stefan Kaniuk is a pillock

    Stefan Kaniuk is a pillock, Sep 16, 2005
  20. XXXX???

    Guest

    Re: Stefan Kaniuk is a pillock

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:29:43 +0100, Stefan Kaniuk is a pillock
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:57:46 GMT, Stefan Kaniuk said:
    >
    >>No he talking about Saleh Jambo

    >pillock

    Its Turtill

    Again