Skype breaks free from the PC

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by divoch, Nov 23, 2006.

  1. divoch

    divoch Guest

    From Pocket-lint
    http://tinyurl.com/y4mxol

    I came across this by chance (while looking for Digital TV with integrated
    PVR)

    divoch

    divoch, Nov 23, 2006

  2. divoch

    Yaz Guest

    "divoch" <> wrote in message
    news:5bl9h.51848$...

    > From Pocket-lint
    > http://tinyurl.com/y4mxol
    >
    > I came across this by chance (while looking for Digital TV with integrated
    > PVR)
    >
    > divoch

    the siemens phone appear to be much better and Cheaper by £20.

    Yaz

    Yaz, Nov 23, 2006

  3. divoch

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-11-23, Yaz <> wrote:

    > "divoch" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> From Pocket-lint
    >> http://tinyurl.com/y4mxol
    >>
    >> I came across this by chance (while looking for Digital TV with integrated
    >> PVR)
    >>
    >> divoch
    >>

    > the siemens phone appear to be much better and Cheaper by £20.

    Which Siemens phone is that? And why is its functionality better?

    Brian.

    Brian, Nov 23, 2006
  4. divoch

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-11-23, divoch <> wrote:

    > From Pocket-lint
    > http://tinyurl.com/y4mxol
    >
    > I came across this by chance (while looking for Digital TV with integrated
    > PVR)

    A good find. What do reckon? Is it a candidate for elevation to
    supernode status?

    Brian.

    Brian, Nov 23, 2006
  5. divoch

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 19:40:40 +0000 (UTC), Brian <>
    wrote:

    >On 2006-11-23, Yaz <> wrote:
    >

    >> "divoch" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> From Pocket-lint
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/y4mxol
    >>>
    >>> I came across this by chance (while looking for Digital TV with integrated
    >>> PVR)
    >>>
    >>> divoch
    >>>

    >> the siemens phone appear to be much better and Cheaper by £20.

    >Which Siemens phone is that? And why is its functionality better?
    >
    >Brian.

    If you read the article on 'Pocket-lint' all will be revealed !
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Nov 23, 2006
  6. divoch

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-11-23, Brian A <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 19:40:40 +0000 (UTC), Brian <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On 2006-11-23, Yaz <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "divoch" <> wrote in message

    >>> the siemens phone appear to be much better and Cheaper by £20.

    >>Which Siemens phone is that? And why is its functionality better?
    >>
    >>Brian.

    > If you read the article on 'Pocket-lint' all will be revealed !

    I did read it and it passed through my mind that comparing a SIP device
    with a Skype device wasn't entirely valid. In fact, without resurecting
    the protocol argument, I'm inclined to think it had little merit as an
    introductory review.

    Brian.

    Brian, Nov 23, 2006
  7. divoch

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 19:54:24 +0000 (UTC), Brian <>
    wrote:

    >On 2006-11-23, divoch <> wrote:
    >

    >> From Pocket-lint
    >> http://tinyurl.com/y4mxol
    >>
    >> I came across this by chance (while looking for Digital TV with integrated
    >> PVR)

    >A good find. What do reckon? Is it a candidate for elevation to
    >supernode status?
    >
    >Brian.

    The question is would you sooner spend £79/ £99, depending on which
    one you choose for your Skype phone or buy a SIP ATA and attach it to
    a set of standard DECT phones ?
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Nov 23, 2006
  8. divoch

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-11-23, Brian A <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 19:54:24 +0000 (UTC), Brian <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On 2006-11-23, divoch <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> From Pocket-lint
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/y4mxol
    >>>
    >>> I came across this by chance (while looking for Digital TV with integrated
    >>> PVR)

    >>A good find. What do reckon? Is it a candidate for elevation to
    >>supernode status?
    >>
    >>Brian.

    > The question is would you sooner spend £79/ £99, depending on which
    > one you choose for your Skype phone or buy a SIP ATA and attach it to
    > a set of standard DECT phones ?

    Remind me never to be do whimsy after a port or two.

    Apologies if I am misunderstanding you. The Siemens C461 IP is a SIP
    phone; the DUALphone 3088 is a Skype phone. Both connect to a router so
    do not rely on a computer for their operation. Asking which one to
    choose for a Skype phone has only one answer.

    As for buying a SIP ATA/DECT phone combination - doesn't the the C461 IP
    embody that? Also, isn't the 3088 essentially a Skype ATA?

    Brian.

    Brian, Nov 23, 2006
  9. divoch

    Martin² Guest

    Brian:
    >Also, isn't the 3088 essentially a Skype ATA?

    Since ATA stands for Analogue Telephone Adapter, then the answer is NO.
    There can't be one, because Skype need more functionality then just plain
    touch phone.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Nov 24, 2006
  10. divoch

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-11-24, Martin² <> wrote:

    > Brian:
    >>Also, isn't the 3088 essentially a Skype ATA?

    > Since ATA stands for Analogue Telephone Adapter, then the answer is NO.
    > There can't be one, because Skype need more functionality then just plain
    > touch phone.

    What additional functionality is needed that isn't provided by the
    3088's interface? Isn't it an ATA/DECT combination? How about the C460
    IP? You don't say whether it qualifies as ATA/DECT.

    Both the 3088 and C460 IP convert an analogue signal to IP packets. An
    ATA does this. Maybe they are better thought of as cordless IP phones.
    Whatever category they are put in, both operate without a computer being
    on - which is an interesting development in the technology.

    Brian.

    Brian, Nov 24, 2006
  11. divoch

    Paul Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > On 2006-11-24, Martin² <> wrote:
    >
    >> Brian:
    >>> Also, isn't the 3088 essentially a Skype ATA?

    >> Since ATA stands for Analogue Telephone Adapter, then the answer is NO.
    >> There can't be one, because Skype need more functionality then just plain
    >> touch phone.

    > What additional functionality is needed that isn't provided by the
    > 3088's interface? Isn't it an ATA/DECT combination? How about the C460
    > IP? You don't say whether it qualifies as ATA/DECT.
    >
    > Both the 3088 and C460 IP convert an analogue signal to IP packets. An
    > ATA does this. Maybe they are better thought of as cordless IP phones.
    > Whatever category they are put in, both operate without a computer being
    > on - which is an interesting development in the technology.
    >
    > Brian.

    Yes I'd say at least the C460IP is better thought of as a cordless IP
    phone although you can also register any GAP compatible DECT handset
    with it and then use that for SIP calls. So perhaps that qualifies it
    as a DECT ATA?

    cheers,
    Paul.

    Paul, Nov 28, 2006
  12. divoch

    voip_ross Guest

    I would have to agree that the C460 is a type of an ATA as it can make
    standard PSTN calls. However it is a hybrid, as it is also like a
    standard IP telephone.

    I think it is a great phone for home users, as you can make PSTN calls
    at the same time as a SIP call! Ideal if you have a standard PSTN line
    and also want to save money on calls, or just to have two lines. All
    you need is an additional DECT handset!

    Ross

    Ross Beer
    VoiceHost Support