skype and bandwidth

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Casey, Sep 28, 2007.

  1. Casey

    Casey Guest

    I have a question about Skype. I am not yet a user but am considering it.

    I know it is peer-to-peer: Does it use bandwidth even when the
    application is closed or only when it is running? I know that if I have
    the application running but am not currently using it then it could
    route other people's calls, but am I correct in believing that all
    skype-related network activity *must* cease when I exit the application?

    Furthermore, if I were to purchase one of the "skype phones" that plug
    directly into my router (e.g. Philips VOIP841), are they "always on"?
    In other words, will Skype be sending traffic over my internet
    connection continuously? Am I correct in assuming that unplugging the
    phone from my router would be the only surefire way to prevent that
    traffic? (aside from vigilant firewalling techniques that seem like
    they don't always work and are, frankly, more than I care to deal with)

    Thanks for any help you can provide.

    -Casey

    Casey, Sep 28, 2007

  2. Casey

    Ray Guest

    "Casey" <> wrote in message
    > I have a question about Skype. I am not yet a user but am considering it.
    >
    > I know it is peer-to-peer: Does it use bandwidth even when the
    > application is closed or only when it is running? I know that if I have
    > the application running but am not currently using it then it could
    > route other people's calls, but am I correct in believing that all
    > skype-related network activity *must* cease when I exit the application?

    Yes

    Ray, Sep 28, 2007

  3. Casey

    Casey Guest

    Thanks, Ray. Any idea about the phone questions?

    Casey, Sep 28, 2007
  4. Casey

    Ray Guest

    "Casey" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks, Ray. Any idea about the phone questions?
    >
    > Furthermore, if I were to purchase one of the "skype phones" that plug
    > directly into my router (e.g. Philips VOIP841), are they "always on"? In
    > other words, will Skype be sending traffic over my internet connection
    > continuously? Am I correct in assuming that unplugging the phone from
    > my router would be the only surefire way to prevent that traffic?
    > (aside from vigilant firewalling techniques that seem like they don't
    > always work and are, frankly, more than I care to deal with)

    I am not sure about that one Casey. To be really honest, I run Skype on my
    server and all the in/out data is monitored 24/7 and I never see any
    activity from Skype unless I am actually actively using the program, ie
    making a call / receiving a call, or sending chat messages from the
    keyboard.

    Ray, Sep 28, 2007
  5. Casey wrote:
    > I have a question about Skype. I am not yet a user but am
    > considering it.
    >
    > I know it is peer-to-peer: Does it use bandwidth even when the
    > application is closed or only when it is running? I know that if I
    > have the application running but am not currently using it then it
    > could route other people's calls, but am I correct in believing that
    > all skype-related network activity *must* cease when I exit the
    > application?
    >
    > Furthermore, if I were to purchase one of the "skype phones" that plug
    > directly into my router (e.g. Philips VOIP841), are they "always on"?
    > In other words, will Skype be sending traffic over my internet
    > connection continuously? Am I correct in assuming that unplugging the
    > phone from my router would be the only surefire way to prevent that
    > traffic? (aside from vigilant firewalling techniques that seem like
    > they don't always work and are, frankly, more than I care to deal
    > with)
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can provide.
    >
    > -Casey

    Not thought about a SIP based VoIP provider and a SIP ATA?

    You could chop and change providers test out ones that might suit.

    --
    Items for sale: http://www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/MetricNow

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Sep 28, 2007
  6. On 2007-09-28, Casey <> wrote:
    > Thanks, Ray. Any idea about the phone questions?
    >
    > Furthermore, if I were to purchase one of the "skype phones" that plug
    > directly into my router (e.g. Philips VOIP841), are they "always on"? In
    > other words, will Skype be sending traffic over my internet connection
    > continuously? Am I correct in assuming that unplugging the phone from
    > my router would be the only surefire way to prevent that traffic?
    > (aside from vigilant firewalling techniques that seem like they don't
    > always work and are, frankly, more than I care to deal with)

    If your phones, or your computer for that matter, are behind a NAT router
    then Skype won't be able to use them for anything other than providing
    your service. There might be a tiny trickle of stuff when you aren't
    on a call, but only what is necessary to keep the phone or computer
    available for incoming calls.

    If your phone or computer has a public IP address, however, then all
    bets are off.

    Dennis Ferguson

    Dennis Ferguson, Sep 28, 2007
  7. Casey

    Casey Guest

    Well, I'm still just looking into things, trying to sort through various
    options. I'll read about SIP-based...thanks for the suggestion.

    Casey, Sep 28, 2007
  8. Casey

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 23:50:27 -0400, Casey <> wrote:

    >Well, I'm still just looking into things, trying to sort through various
    >options. I'll read about SIP-based...thanks for the suggestion.

    The advantage of SIP is that you have literally hundreds of possible
    providers. You can have a mix of providers, thereby permitting
    different carriers, depending on number type called, and thus reducing
    costs. With Skype you are tied into Skype. You pay their prices and
    use their system.
    Is SIP harder to set up? - well, yes it can be but it is a far
    superior system to Skype. If you want to specifically call Skype users
    then you'll need to use Skype, but otherwise you'd be far better off
    putting your resources into SIP.
    With some SIP hardware it is possible to integrate your landline phone
    into the system so that all your calls are received/sent from the same
    set of handsets and, of course, you don't need to have your computer
    switched on.
    Hardware examples:-
    http://tinyurl.com/yuqsdv
    http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZBox/index.html

    Check out these providers to give you an idea of phone charges to
    landlines/mobile:
    Good for prices:-
    http://voip.co.uk/res_products.html
    https://www.vyke.com/merchantsite/rates.c?Distributor=VYKECOUK

    Good for service features
    http://www.voipfone.co.uk/prices.php

    With Skype it is possible, as the system is peer-to-peer, to become a
    "super node" and thus use a much higher download then you might
    expect.
    Here is a paper about Skype from Columbia University, New York. If
    you search the document you'll see info. re super nodes.
    http://tinyurl.com/5hal4
    They say:
    "Any node with a public IP address having sufficient CPU, memory and
    network bandwidth is a candidate to become a super node."

    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Get your friends to sign too!
    TV.
    ---

    Brian A, Sep 28, 2007
  9. Casey

    Ray Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 23:50:27 -0400, Casey <> wrote:

    Has anyone created a list of SIP Providers anywhere? It would be good to
    see which other companies offer services like Sipgate. Can anyone come up
    with a list of URLs offering the sort of service that Sipgate does. (I know
    they have had some problems, but for some time now, my service from Sipgate
    has been great here.

    Ray

    Ray, Sep 28, 2007
  10. In article <>,
    Ray <> wrote:

    >"Brian A" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 23:50:27 -0400, Casey <> wrote:

    >Has anyone created a list of SIP Providers anywhere? It would be good to
    >see which other companies offer services like Sipgate. Can anyone come up
    >with a list of URLs offering the sort of service that Sipgate does. (I know
    >they have had some problems, but for some time now, my service from Sipgate
    >has been great here.

    http://www.google.co.uk/
    ;-)

    A small selection from a recent forray, in alphabetical order:

    http://www.gradwell.com/ (maybe more business/power user orientated)
    http://www.orbtalk.co.uk/
    http://www.sipgate.co.uk/
    http://www.voip.co.uk/
    http://www.voipfone.co.uk/
    http://www.voipon.co.uk/
    http://www.voiptalk.org/

    Not quite a provider, but sometimes handy:

    http://www.uknumber.co.uk/voip.htm

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Sep 28, 2007
  11. Casey

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:47:16 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >Ray <> wrote:
    >>
    >>"Brian A" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 23:50:27 -0400, Casey <> wrote:

    >>Has anyone created a list of SIP Providers anywhere? It would be good to
    >>see which other companies offer services like Sipgate. Can anyone come up
    >>with a list of URLs offering the sort of service that Sipgate does. (I know
    >>they have had some problems, but for some time now, my service from Sipgate
    >>has been great here.

    >http://www.google.co.uk/
    > ;-)
    >
    >A small selection from a recent forray, in alphabetical order:
    >
    >http://www.gradwell.com/ (maybe more business/power user orientated)
    >http://www.orbtalk.co.uk/
    >http://www.sipgate.co.uk/
    >http://www.voip.co.uk/
    >http://www.voipfone.co.uk/
    >http://www.voipon.co.uk/
    >http://www.voiptalk.org/
    >
    >Not quite a provider, but sometimes handy:
    >
    >http://www.uknumber.co.uk/voip.htm
    >
    >Gordon

    You'll find most of the worlds providers listed on Sipbroker together
    with links to theri web sites. There are HUNDREDS! The ones with the
    green ticks are those that can be contacted, via Sipbroker, with the
    access codes shown. The ones with red crosses are the providers who
    sadly like to operate a closed network and thus don't work via
    Sipbroker.
    If you have a particular international destination, that you regularly
    call, it is often possible to get a good deal from a provider in that
    country.
    Sipbroker :-
    http://tinyurl.com/2a5edl
    ---