Skype and 100% cpu usage on video call

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by LP, Aug 25, 2009.

  1. LP

    LP Guest

    Voice only is faultless with first class sound
    quality. With a video call - bro in Oz - the
    video freezes and sound quality drops away quite
    significantly.

    I was using my notebook (an 'ancient Sony PCG
    FR415b) with a 2.8MHz celeron cpu and 512Mb shared
    ram (graphics card) on a 3 s2 skypephone (used as
    a modem) capable of a 115 kbps broadband
    connection. OS is win XP with SP2 and skype
    software is version 4.1.60.145 downloaded within
    the last week.

    With Task Manager open, I could see that it was
    the application 'skype.exe' hogging the cpu (95 -
    100%). Since calling my brother I've upgraded the
    memory to 1024Mb (play.com was offering 512Mb
    SODIMM's for a splendid £12.99 delivered).

    I've spent a lot of time searching the web, and
    haven't so far found an obvious solution. Does
    anyone know if this is a hardware or software problem?

    LP, Aug 25, 2009

  2. LP

    Nick Guest

    "LP" <> wrote in message
    > Voice only is faultless with first class sound
    > quality. With a video call - bro in Oz - the
    > video freezes and sound quality drops away quite
    > significantly.
    >
    > I was using my notebook (an 'ancient Sony PCG
    > FR415b) with a 2.8MHz celeron cpu and 512Mb shared
    > ram (graphics card) on a 3 s2 skypephone (used as
    > a modem) capable of a 115 kbps broadband
    > connection. OS is win XP with SP2 and skype
    > software is version 4.1.60.145 downloaded within
    > the last week.
    >
    > With Task Manager open, I could see that it was
    > the application 'skype.exe' hogging the cpu (95 -
    > 100%). Since calling my brother I've upgraded the
    > memory to 1024Mb (play.com was offering 512Mb
    > SODIMM's for a splendid £12.99 delivered).
    >
    > I've spent a lot of time searching the web, and
    > haven't so far found an obvious solution. Does
    > anyone know if this is a hardware or software problem?

    It's your connection that's causing the problem.

    Nick, Aug 26, 2009

  3. In article <>, on Tue, 25 Aug 2009
    19:14:51 +0100, LP wrote:

    | Voice only is faultless with first class sound
    | quality. With a video call - bro in Oz - the
    | video freezes and sound quality drops away quite
    | significantly.
    |
    | I was using my notebook (an 'ancient Sony PCG
    | FR415b) with a 2.8MHz celeron cpu and 512Mb shared
    | ram (graphics card) on a 3 s2 skypephone (used as
    | a modem) capable of a 115 kbps broadband
    | connection. OS is win XP with SP2 and skype
    | software is version 4.1.60.145 downloaded within
    | the last week.

    Skype recommends a 512/256kbit (down/up) broadband internet connection.

    Your connection is a) only 115Kbps (maximum?), and b) not a broadband
    connection.

    --
    David Postill
    Dance your Life - Biodanza in Holland - <http://www.danceyourlife.eu>

    David Postill, Aug 26, 2009
  4. LP

    LP Guest

    LP wrote:
    > Voice only is faultless with first class sound quality. With a video
    > call - bro in Oz - the video freezes and sound quality drops away quite
    > significantly.
    >
    > I was using my notebook (an 'ancient Sony PCG FR415b) with a 2.8MHz
    > celeron cpu and 512Mb shared ram (graphics card) on a 3 s2 skypephone
    > (used as a modem) capable of a 115 kbps broadband connection. OS is win
    > XP with SP2 and skype software is version 4.1.60.145 downloaded within
    > the last week.
    >
    > With Task Manager open, I could see that it was the application
    > 'skype.exe' hogging the cpu (95 - 100%). Since calling my brother I've
    > upgraded the memory to 1024Mb (play.com was offering 512Mb SODIMM's for
    > a splendid £12.99 delivered).
    >
    > I've spent a lot of time searching the web, and haven't so far found an
    > obvious solution. Does anyone know if this is a hardware or software
    > problem?

    Looks like I've mis-quoted my connection speed.
    It should read 1150kbps or just about 1MB.

    Tried again last night with the 1GB memory and
    it's just not happening; video freezes after not
    much more than 5s.

    LP, Aug 27, 2009