    plugs into a standard phone socket and my router allowing me to make phone
    calls either via the standard line or Skype without the need for a PC?

    Thanx
    Etthel The Other Frog, Dec 23, 2006

  2. Etthel The Other Frog

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Etthel The Other Frog" <> wrote in message
    > I know some people here do not like Skype.
    >
    > Putting that to one side!
    >
    > Does anyone know of an adapter that I can plug a normal
    > phone into which plugs into a standard phone socket and
    > my router allowing me to make phone calls either via the
    > standard line or Skype without the need for a PC?
    > Thanx

    No. That's why we don't like Skype..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 23, 2006

  3. Etthel The Other Frog

    Me Guest

    > Putting that to one side!
    >
    > Does anyone know of an adapter that I can plug a normal
    > phone into which plugs into a standard phone socket and
    > my router allowing me to make phone calls either via the
    > standard line or Skype without the need for a PC?
    > Thanx

    >No. That's why we don't like Skype..!
    >
    >Ivor

    Ignoring Ivor's rather unhelpful, and incorrect response, you can get
    a phone which does not require your PC to be on - as long as you have
    a wireless router.

    Netgear SPH101 SKYPE WiFi Phone.

    Price is £123.94 inc VAT

    http://www.ekind.co.uk/Inu_products/INU_ProdDetailsL3.asp?ref=20322508

    Me
    Me, Dec 23, 2006
  4. Etthel The Other Frog

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Me" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Ignoring Ivor's rather unhelpful, and incorrect response,
    > you can get a phone which does not require your PC to be
    > on - as long as you have a wireless router.
    >
    > Netgear SPH101 SKYPE WiFi Phone.
    >
    > Price is £123.94 inc VAT
    >
    > http://www.ekind.co.uk/Inu_products/INU_ProdDetailsL3.asp?ref=20322508
    >
    > Me

    The OP specifically asked about an ATA. I have yet to see a device that
    can take a normal phone and connect it to Skype, *without* a computer
    being there somewhere.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 23, 2006
  5. "Me" <> wrote in message
    >> Putting that to one side!
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of an adapter that I can plug a normal
    >> phone into which plugs into a standard phone socket and
    >> my router allowing me to make phone calls either via the
    >> standard line or Skype without the need for a PC?
    >> Thanx

    >>No. That's why we don't like Skype..!
    >>
    >>Ivor
    >>

    > Ignoring Ivor's rather unhelpful, and incorrect response, you can get
    > a phone which does not require your PC to be on - as long as you have
    > a wireless router.
    >
    > Netgear SPH101 SKYPE WiFi Phone.
    >
    > Price is £123.94 inc VAT
    >
    > http://www.ekind.co.uk/Inu_products/INU_ProdDetailsL3.asp?ref=20322508
    >
    > Me

    Thanks - I already have one of these - quite a useful device!

    I believe what I am after is an ATA for Skype
    Etthel The Other Frog, Dec 23, 2006
  6. Etthel The Other Frog

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Etthel The Other Frog" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Thanks - I already have one of these - quite a useful
    > device!
    > I believe what I am after is an ATA for Skype

    Which as I said, doesn't exist - unless someone knows otherwise..?

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 23, 2006
  7. Etthel The Other Frog

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-12-23, Etthel The Other Frog <> wrote:

    > I know some people here do not like Skype.
    >
    > Putting that to one side!
    >
    > Does anyone know of an adapter that I can plug a normal phone into which
    > plugs into a standard phone socket and my router allowing me to make phone
    > calls either via the standard line or Skype without the need for a PC?

    The DualPhone 3088.

    Brian.
    Brian, Dec 23, 2006
  8. Etthel The Other Frog

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-12-23, Ivor Jones <> wrote:

    > "Etthel The Other Frog" <> wrote in message
    >> I know some people here do not like Skype.
    >>
    >> Putting that to one side!
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of an adapter that I can plug a normal
    >> phone into which plugs into a standard phone socket and
    >> my router allowing me to make phone calls either via the
    >> standard line or Skype without the need for a PC?
    >> Thanx

    > No. That's why we don't like Skype..!

    We?

    Brian.
    Brian, Dec 23, 2006
  9. Etthel The Other Frog

    Martin² Guest

    You CAN'T use NORMAL phone with Skype.
    Skype is just a piece of P2P software, it needs a computer - in some form or
    other - to work.

    The choice is a USB phone plugged into switched ON PC,
    or special (i.e. £££) Skype phone !
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², Dec 24, 2006
  10. On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 23:53:01 +0000 (UTC), Brian <>
    wrote:

    >The DualPhone 3088.

    can you plug a normal phone into that ?

    Phil

    No more cable clowns :))
    Phil Thompson, Dec 24, 2006
  11. Etthel The Other Frog

    Dan Wood Guest

    Etthel The Other Frog wrote:
    > I know some people here do not like Skype.
    >
    > Putting that to one side!
    >
    > Does anyone know of an adapter that I can plug a normal phone into which
    > plugs into a standard phone socket and my router allowing me to make phone
    > calls either via the standard line or Skype without the need for a PC?
    >
    > Thanx

    AFAIK, there's nothing to allow this *without a PC* .

    I have used a Trust ST-1200 to connect a 'normal' phone to Skype. It
    works well enough, but I soon decided I didn't like Skype and got myself
    an IP telephone!

    See http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=14485 for details
    of this device. I'm glad they updated the page. When I bought mine it
    talked about being a 'VoIP' device with no mention of having to use
    Skype. At least they seem to have come clean now!

    Cheers,
    Dan.
    Dan Wood, Dec 24, 2006
  12. Etthel The Other Frog

    Nick Guest

    "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 23:53:01 +0000 (UTC), Brian <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >The DualPhone 3088.

    > can you plug a normal phone into that ?
    >
    > Phil
    > --
    >
    > Usenet spam eaten by a Hamster http://www.tglsoft.de/
    > No more cable clowns :))
    > Please do not feed or re-quote the trolls.

    Why would you want to?
    Studying a picture of the said device on the following site;
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/networking/review/2006/12/18/RTX-Dualphone-3088/p1
    you could incorporate a normal phone/fax with the use of an adaptor.

    Any comments on the unit Ivor?
    Nick, Dec 24, 2006
  13. Etthel The Other Frog

    Peter Watson Guest

    Nick wrote:
    > "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 23:53:01 +0000 (UTC), Brian <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The DualPhone 3088.

    >> can you plug a normal phone into that ?

    > Why would you want to?

    The OP specifically requested a box that a wired phone can be plugged
    into - Perhaps to intercept all existing extensions and allow all the
    phone in the house to make Skype or POTS calls?

    > Studying a picture of the said device on the following site;
    > http://www.trustedreviews.com/networking/review/2006/12/18/RTX-Dualphone-3088/p1
    > you could incorporate a normal phone/fax with the use of an adaptor.

    The normal phone/fax would only have access the the POTS line.

    I read the original post that the OP is hunting for the Skype equivalent
    of a standard VOIP ATA ie FXO port for POTS line, FXS port for wired
    phones and ethernet for Skype.

    Peter
    Peter Watson, Dec 24, 2006
  14. "Me" <> wrote in message
    >> Putting that to one side!
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of an adapter that I can plug a normal
    >> phone into which plugs into a standard phone socket and
    >> my router allowing me to make phone calls either via the
    >> standard line or Skype without the need for a PC?
    >> Thanx

    >>No. That's why we don't like Skype..!
    >>
    >>Ivor
    >>

    > Ignoring Ivor's rather unhelpful, and incorrect response, you can get
    > a phone which does not require your PC to be on - as long as you have
    > a wireless router.
    >
    > Netgear SPH101 SKYPE WiFi Phone.
    >
    > Price is £123.94 inc VAT
    >
    > http://www.ekind.co.uk/Inu_products/INU_ProdDetailsL3.asp?ref=20322508
    >
    > Me

    You can also get Dualphone 3088 Cordless Skype Phone which does not need a
    pc

    --

    www.experimentalist.co.uk/shop/index.php
    Australia, New Zealand, USA, German, UK, South Africa, Thailand, Brazil Sim
    www.simcard.me.uk, Dec 24, 2006
  15. Etthel The Other Frog

    Nick Guest

    "Dan Wood" <> wrote in message
    > Etthel The Other Frog wrote:
    > > I know some people here do not like Skype.
    > >
    > > Putting that to one side!
    > >
    > > Does anyone know of an adapter that I can plug a normal phone into which
    > > plugs into a standard phone socket and my router allowing me to make

    phone
    > > calls either via the standard line or Skype without the need for a PC?
    > >
    > > Thanx
    > >

    > AFAIK, there's nothing to allow this *without a PC* .

    The RTX Dualphone 3088 doesn't require a PC, doesn't require wireless,
    and gives you a cordless phone that will place Skype calls as well as
    standard land line calls.
    Nick, Dec 24, 2006
  16. Etthel The Other Frog

    Jono Guest

    Nick laid this down on his screen :
    > "Dan Wood" <> wrote in message
    >> Etthel The Other Frog wrote:
    >>> I know some people here do not like Skype.
    >>>
    >>> Putting that to one side!
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know of an adapter that I can plug a normal phone into which
    >>> plugs into a standard phone socket and my router allowing me to make phone
    >>> calls either via the standard line or Skype without the need for a PC?
    >>>
    >>> Thanx
    >>>

    >> AFAIK, there's nothing to allow this *without a PC* .

    > The RTX Dualphone 3088 doesn't require a PC, doesn't require wireless,
    > and gives you a cordless phone that will place Skype calls as well as
    > standard land line calls.

    Although it looks a nice piece of kit & surely does what you say, it
    doesn't allow the connection of standard analogue phones, as was the
    OP's request.
    Jono, Dec 24, 2006
  17. "Dan Wood" <> wrote in message
    > Etthel The Other Frog wrote:
    >> I know some people here do not like Skype.
    >>
    >> Putting that to one side!
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of an adapter that I can plug a normal phone into which
    >> plugs into a standard phone socket and my router allowing me to make
    >> phone calls either via the standard line or Skype without the need for a
    >> PC?
    >>
    >> Thanx

    > AFAIK, there's nothing to allow this *without a PC* .
    >
    > I have used a Trust ST-1200 to connect a 'normal' phone to Skype. It works
    > well enough, but I soon decided I didn't like Skype and got myself an IP
    > telephone!
    >

    > See http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=14485 for details of
    > this device. I'm glad they updated the page. When I bought mine it talked
    > about being a 'VoIP' device with no mention of having to use Skype. At
    > least they seem to have come clean now!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Dan.

    Ok - many thanks - I have found one of these for £9:50 on Amazon so I have
    ordered it - I know it means I will have to leave a PC on all the time - but
    I do anyway so I will give it a try!
    Ethel The Other Frog, Dec 24, 2006
  18. On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 11:11:12 GMT, "Nick" <>
    wrote:

    >Why would you want to?

    that's the OP's question

    "Does anyone know of an adapter that I can plug a normal phone into
    which plugs into a standard phone socket and my router allowing me to

    Phil Thompson, Dec 24, 2006
  19. Etthel The Other Frog

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "www.simcard.me.uk" <webmaster@(REMOVETHESPAM)tariff.me.uk>
    wrote in message news:

    [snip]

    > You can also get Dualphone 3088 Cordless Skype Phone
    > which does not need a pc

    But it is not an ATA into which a normal phone can be plugged, which is
    what the OP specifically asked for.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 24, 2006
  20. Etthel The Other Frog

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-12-23, Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Etthel The Other Frog" <> wrote in message
    > > > I know some people here do not like Skype.
    > > >
    > > > Putting that to one side!
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone know of an adapter that I can plug a
    > > > normal phone into which plugs into a standard phone
    > > > socket and my router allowing me to make phone calls
    > > > either via the standard line or Skype without the
    > > > need for a PC?
    > > > Thanx

    > > No. That's why we don't like Skype..!

    > We?

    You think I'm the only one..? Read back over the time this group has been
    around.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 24, 2006