    What's to stop someone with a sinister motive from distributing useful
    looking software that can compromise your computer or information?

    Why would skydrive explorer be free?

    gamma, Dec 29, 2009

  2. On Dec 30, 12:59 am, gamma <> wrote:
    > Anyone know if skydrive explorer is safe to use or how to find out.http://skydriveexplorer.com/index.php
    >
    > What's to stop someone with a sinister motive from distributing useful
    > looking software that can compromise your computer or information?
    >
    > Why would skydrive explorer be free?

    I wouldn't mind knowing this too, as this service looks like it might
    be a good solution for a problem I have had.

    Had a nosy around the site, possibly the business model is to get
    users
    hooked on a free service providing up to 25GB of storage with file
    size
    limited to 50MB, and then provide a premium paid service for people
    who need more or want extra features. I also notice they are carrying
    on their site, which will generate a bit of income, and are also
    asking for
    donations for development of new releases.

    Google reveals nothing about sinister motives, only that it is a bit
    buggy
    for some users

    Regards
    Peter Jenkins
    see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

    Peter Jenkins, Dec 30, 2009

  3. In message <195da3ea-cde8-45e6-b332-
    >, gamma wrote:

    > What's to stop someone with a sinister motive from distributing useful
    > looking software that can compromise your computer or information?

    Source code.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 30, 2009
  4. gamma

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <195da3ea-cde8-45e6-b332-
    > >, gamma wrote:
    >
    >> What's to stop someone with a sinister motive from distributing useful
    >> looking software that can compromise your computer or information?

    > Source code.

    Yeah right. Who looks at source code? The writers of malicious code
    could probably release their source code without anyone bothering to
    check up.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Dec 30, 2009
  5. gamma

    gamma Guest

    On Dec 30, 5:31 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > > In message <195da3ea-cde8-45e6-b332-
    > > >, gamma wrote:

    > >> What's to stop someone with a sinister motive from distributing useful
    > >> looking software that can compromise your computer or information?

    > > Source code.

    >  >
    > Yeah right. Who looks at source code? The writers of malicious code
    > could probably release their source code without anyone bothering to
    > check up.

    yep.
    I wonder whether there's a U.S. govt department that looks into cyber
    security who investigates things like this. I wonder how often people
    have their credit card details stolen by trojans or whatever.

    Is it possible to track who the makers of skydrive explorer are, or
    does using a web host give them total anonimity?

    http://whois.domaintools.com/skydriveexplorer.com

    gamma, Dec 30, 2009
  6. In message <e28060c9-ef26-47c9-b083-
    >, gamma wrote:

    > I wonder whether there's a U.S. govt department that looks into cyber
    > security who investigates things like this.

    If they published their source code, anybody could check it for themselves.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 31, 2009