Sky TV UHF channels?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Mar 11, 2010.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Crossposted, comp and tech.

    I have a TV tuner card in a PC that I haven't fired up for several monmths
    that has a software decoding solution. It's pretty crappy at the best of
    times but, just now and then I've used it. I thought I'd best fire it up and
    do the Windows / AV updates etc. today.

    Well, the Sky UHF channels no longer work. No sound, nothing. All of the
    other channels, both VHF and UHF still work which makes me think that maybe
    Sky has changed the channels they're braodcasting on.

    Can anyone conform of deny this?

    Thanks.
    --
    Shaun.

    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...
    ~misfit~, Mar 11, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. ~misfit~

    Rob Davison Guest

    On 3/11/2010 5:05 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Crossposted, comp and tech.


    > Well, the Sky UHF channels no longer work. No sound, nothing. All of the
    > other channels, both VHF and UHF still work which makes me think that maybe
    > Sky has changed the channels they're braodcasting on.
    >
    > Can anyone conform of deny this?


    They're gone.

    http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/3426685/Sky-to-switch-off-UHF-service
    Rob Davison, Mar 11, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Collector_NZ wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Crossposted, comp and tech.
    >>
    >> I have a TV tuner card in a PC that I haven't fired up for several
    >> monmths that has a software decoding solution. It's pretty crappy at
    >> the best of times but, just now and then I've used it. I thought I'd
    >> best fire it up and do the Windows / AV updates etc. today.
    >>
    >> Well, the Sky UHF channels no longer work. No sound, nothing. All of
    >> the other channels, both VHF and UHF still work which makes me think
    >> that maybe Sky has changed the channels they're braodcasting on.
    >>
    >> Can anyone conform of deny this?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Sky have turned off the UHF channels as of just recently


    Ahh, that would explain it. However they're still listed in the TV guide for
    today, that's the first thing I checked. <shrug>

    Hope you're well.
    --
    Shaun.

    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...
    ~misfit~, Mar 11, 2010
    #3
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Rob Davison wrote:
    > On 3/11/2010 5:05 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Crossposted, comp and tech.

    >
    >> Well, the Sky UHF channels no longer work. No sound, nothing. All of
    >> the other channels, both VHF and UHF still work which makes me think
    >> that maybe Sky has changed the channels they're braodcasting on.
    >>
    >> Can anyone conform of deny this?

    >
    > They're gone.
    >
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/3426685/Sky-to-switch-off-UHF-service


    Thanks Rob. I didn't know that. Niether did the folks at the TV Guide
    apparently, which is odd as they must be being given the programming details
    by someone (for instance it said that today's Hadlee/Chapel ODI was on Sky
    Sport UHF).
    --
    Cheers,
    Shaun.

    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...
    ~misfit~, Mar 11, 2010
    #4
  5. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Thanks Rob. I didn't know that. Niether did the folks at the TV Guide
    > apparently, which is odd as they must be being given the programming details
    > by someone (for instance it said that today's Hadlee/Chapel ODI was on Sky
    > Sport UHF).


    I was told they were keeping it on till they had the stragglers over to sat.

    Are the channels off now? Might have to change what I have modulators on
    since not all my TVs will do the cable channels that I am using at the
    moment.
    Richard, Mar 11, 2010
    #5
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks Rob. I didn't know that. Niether did the folks at the TV Guide
    >> apparently, which is odd as they must be being given the programming
    >> details by someone (for instance it said that today's Hadlee/Chapel
    >> ODI was on Sky Sport UHF).

    >
    > I was told they were keeping it on till they had the stragglers over
    > to sat.
    > Are the channels off now? Might have to change what I have modulators
    > on since not all my TVs will do the cable channels that I am using at
    > the moment.


    Yep, they're off. Well, I only checked Sport and Movies and they were both
    off....
    --
    Shaun.

    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...
    ~misfit~, Mar 11, 2010
    #6
  7. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks Rob. I didn't know that. Niether did the folks at the TV Guide
    >>> apparently, which is odd as they must be being given the programming
    >>> details by someone (for instance it said that today's Hadlee/Chapel
    >>> ODI was on Sky Sport UHF).

    >> I was told they were keeping it on till they had the stragglers over
    >> to sat.
    >> Are the channels off now? Might have to change what I have modulators
    >> on since not all my TVs will do the cable channels that I am using at
    >> the moment.

    >
    > Yep, they're off. Well, I only checked Sport and Movies and they were both
    > off....



    Ok, yesterday when I took the old tv to the shed to put on when sorting
    stuff out they were there, and after midnight showing a still telling
    people they were shut down.
    Richard, Mar 11, 2010
    #7
  8. ~misfit~

    peterwn Guest

    On Mar 11, 5:12 pm, Collector_NZ <> wrote:

    >
    > > Well, the Sky UHF channels no longer work. No sound, nothing. All of the
    > > other channels, both VHF and UHF still work which makes me think that maybe
    > > Sky has changed the channels they're braodcasting on.

    >
    > > Can anyone conform of deny this?

    >
    > > Thanks.

    >
    > Sky have turned off the UHF channels as of just recently


    As of yesterday midnight I think. There were only 100 or so residual
    subscribers - the rest had been transferred to satellite Sky.
    peterwn, Mar 11, 2010
    #8
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs peterwn wrote:
    > On Mar 11, 5:12 pm, Collector_NZ <> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>> Well, the Sky UHF channels no longer work. No sound, nothing. All
    >>> of the other channels, both VHF and UHF still work which makes me
    >>> think that maybe Sky has changed the channels they're braodcasting
    >>> on.

    >>
    >>> Can anyone conform of deny this?

    >>
    >>> Thanks.

    >>
    >> Sky have turned off the UHF channels as of just recently

    >
    > As of yesterday midnight I think. There were only 100 or so residual
    > subscribers - the rest had been transferred to satellite Sky.


    Oh well, I can take the PC out of the 'entertainment centre' in the bedroom
    now. That should tidy things up a bit. Another PC to go on Trademe.....
    --
    Shaun.

    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...
    ~misfit~, Mar 11, 2010
    #9
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    >>> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Thanks Rob. I didn't know that. Niether did the folks at the TV
    >>>> Guide apparently, which is odd as they must be being given the
    >>>> programming details by someone (for instance it said that today's
    >>>> Hadlee/Chapel ODI was on Sky Sport UHF).
    >>> I was told they were keeping it on till they had the stragglers over
    >>> to sat.
    >>> Are the channels off now? Might have to change what I have
    >>> modulators on since not all my TVs will do the cable channels that
    >>> I am using at the moment.

    >>
    >> Yep, they're off. Well, I only checked Sport and Movies and they
    >> were both off....

    >
    >
    > Ok, yesterday when I took the old tv to the shed to put on when
    > sorting stuff out they were there, and after midnight showing a still
    > telling people they were shut down.


    Yup, well, just white noise, visually and aurally this afternoon, at least
    here in Pukekohe.
    --
    Shaun.

    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...
    ~misfit~, Mar 11, 2010
    #10
  11. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    >>>> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Thanks Rob. I didn't know that. Niether did the folks at the TV
    >>>>> Guide apparently, which is odd as they must be being given the
    >>>>> programming details by someone (for instance it said that today's
    >>>>> Hadlee/Chapel ODI was on Sky Sport UHF).
    >>>> I was told they were keeping it on till they had the stragglers over
    >>>> to sat.
    >>>> Are the channels off now? Might have to change what I have
    >>>> modulators on since not all my TVs will do the cable channels that
    >>>> I am using at the moment.
    >>> Yep, they're off. Well, I only checked Sport and Movies and they
    >>> were both off....

    >>
    >> Ok, yesterday when I took the old tv to the shed to put on when
    >> sorting stuff out they were there, and after midnight showing a still
    >> telling people they were shut down.

    >
    > Yup, well, just white noise, visually and aurally this afternoon, at least
    > here in Pukekohe.


    Yeah, dead as here, no change to the other channels, would have hoped it
    would have eliminated some of the interference I get on juice with my
    crap antenna amplifier.
    Richard, Mar 11, 2010
    #11
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Crossposted, comp and tech.
    >>
    >> I have a TV tuner card in a PC that I haven't fired up for several
    >> monmths that has a software decoding solution. It's pretty crappy at
    >> the best of times but, just now and then I've used it. I thought I'd
    >> best fire it up and do the Windows / AV updates etc. today.
    >>
    >> Well, the Sky UHF channels no longer work. No sound, nothing. All of
    >> the other channels, both VHF and UHF still work which makes me think
    >> that maybe Sky has changed the channels they're braodcasting on.
    >>
    >> Can anyone conform of deny this?

    >
    > Read the newspaper.


    Suck my .....

    Oh sorry, that would make me as bad as you huh?

    Can't afford newspapers. However, please, *do* let me know if I can ever
    help you with anything.
    --
    Shaun.

    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...
    ~misfit~, Mar 12, 2010
    #12
  13. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >>>>
    >>>> Can anyone conform of deny this?
    >>>
    >>> Read the newspaper.

    >>
    >> Suck my .....
    >>
    >> Oh sorry, that would make me as bad as you huh?
    >>
    >> Can't afford newspapers. However, please, *do* let me know if I can
    >> ever help you with anything.

    >
    > Here's some help, and a newspaper thrown in, FOR FREE ! (If you can
    > 'afford' the bandwidth or time).
    >
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/3426685/Sky-to-switch-off-UHF-service
    >
    > geoff


    Bit late geoff, other more helpful people already told me about it. BTW, a
    hint, stuff.co isn't a newspaper. You seem easilly confused, "a newspaper
    thrown in, FOR FREE !"? Ok, take your meds, maybe have a wee lie-down.
    Thank god it's Friday huh?

    Also the TV Guide that arrived today is still carrying listings for the Sky
    UHF channels through to March 26th, (although the same channels are also on
    digital).
    --
    Shaun.

    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...
    ~misfit~, Mar 12, 2010
    #13
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
    > ~misfit~ writ
    >>
    >> Bit late geoff, other more helpful people already told me about it.
    >> BTW, a hint, stuff.co isn't a newspaper. You seem easilly confused,
    >> "a newspaper thrown in, FOR FREE !"? Ok, take your meds, maybe have
    >> a wee lie-down. Thank god it's Friday huh?
    >>
    >> Also the TV Guide that arrived today is still carrying listings for
    >> the Sky UHF channels through to March 26th, (although the same
    >> channels are also on digital).

    > -
    >> Shaun.

    >
    >> Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...

    >
    > So sad your day is dull.


    I agree. It didn't used to be, /back/ when I was working toward my future.
    However it's difficult to keep positive.... I really need to find something
    I can do part-time that a) I'm physically capable of, b) I enjoy doing and
    c) brings in a few dollars (which I would declare to W&I of course). At the
    moment it seems that I'm just struggling to get the basic shit done and by
    the time I finish it all needs doing again, ad infinitum.

    I'd love to work with real wood but there's not enough money in it and I
    don't have the capital for the tools or the 'stock'. There's something
    magical about applying linseed oil to a finished piece and seeing it soak in
    and the grain highlights jump out....

    > Shorter of breath, and one day closer to death....


    Exactly! That seems to be my life now.

    I always liked that song and while it's lyrics don't *exactly* fit my
    situation (I *did* 'run') they still come to mind more than they used to,
    hence the new sig.
    --
    Cheers,
    Shaun.

    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...
    ~misfit~, Mar 12, 2010
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Russell

    Blue Sky From White Sky

    Russell, May 30, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    554
    Paul Mitchum
    May 31, 2005
  2. Jones Minor

    Copying Movies: SKY says its legal on "MY SKY"

    Jones Minor, Nov 24, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    27
    Views:
    1,274
    Philip
    Nov 25, 2005
  3. Martin
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,247
    Martin
    Feb 8, 2009
  4. Martin
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    584
    Craig Shore
    Feb 8, 2009
  5. Two sky boxes with single Sky+ dish

    , Sep 8, 2009, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    391
Loading...

Share This Page