    What is the phone line used for?
    Thanks,
    Ken

    Ken, Jul 12, 2003

  2. Ken

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Ken" <> wrote in message news:bepnqr$ujj$...
    > I am wiring up a new house for possible future Sky tv.
    > I am told to also run a phone cable to the decoder position.
    > What is the phone line used for?
    > Thanks,
    > Ken

    Pay TV.
    The digital dish decoder sends the booking for some crap to Sky through the
    phone line.
    For about $20 you can enjoy the first Lord Of The Rings film, even though
    you most likely saw it on the big screen at the movies for half the price
    and about a year ago, and could have the bugger on DVD as well. Paying Sky
    for old movies for a day is a joke.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 12, 2003

  3. Ken

    colinco Guest

    In article <beptah$2le$>, E. Scrooge wrote...
    > For about $20 you can enjoy the first Lord Of The Rings film, even though
    > you most likely saw it on the big screen at the movies for half the price
    > and about a year ago, and could have the bugger on DVD as well.

    How many days did you take to watch it??

    colinco, Jul 13, 2003
  4. Ken

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "colinco" <> wrote in message
    > In article <beptah$2le$>, E. Scrooge wrote...
    > > For about $20 you can enjoy the first Lord Of The Rings film, even

    though
    > > you most likely saw it on the big screen at the movies for half the

    price
    > > and about a year ago, and could have the bugger on DVD as well.
    > >

    > How many days did you take to watch it??

    Only 365 so far, I think the closing credits are only a matter of a few
    hours away now.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 13, 2003
  5. Ken

    Rob King Guest

    > > I am wiring up a new house for possible future Sky tv.
    > > I am told to also run a phone cable to the decoder position.
    > > What is the phone line used for?
    > > Thanks,
    > > Ken

    > Pay TV.
    > The digital dish decoder sends the booking for some crap to Sky through

    the
    > phone line.
    > For about $20 you can enjoy the first Lord Of The Rings film, even though
    > you most likely saw it on the big screen at the movies for half the price
    > and about a year ago, and could have the bugger on DVD as well. Paying

    Sky
    > for old movies for a day is a joke.

    Saturn were the same when we had it. Lots of older movies and b-grades for
    the lovely price of $7 a time. And they still couldn't sync up the sound
    with the video so you'd see the people on screen say it before you heard it.
    Or maybe it was the other way round.......

    However, we did end up watching a few gems which wouldn't have otherwise
    watched (Still Crazy and American Movie are two that stand out).

    Rob King, Jul 13, 2003
  6. "Ken" <> wrote in message news:bepnqr$ujj$...
    > I am wiring up a new house for possible future Sky tv.
    > I am told to also run a phone cable to the decoder position.
    > What is the phone line used for?

    Maybe for email on your TV!!
    http://www.skymail.co.nz/

    Nathan Mercer, Jul 14, 2003
  7. Ken

    back again Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote in

    > Subject: Re: Sky tv aerial
    > From: "Nathan Mercer" <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz>
    > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    >

    > "Ken" <> wrote in message
    >> I am wiring up a new house for possible future Sky tv.
    >> I am told to also run a phone cable to the decoder position.
    >> What is the phone line used for?

    Booking and paying for crap B grade movies? The really shit C grade ones
    are provided as part of the existing $60 ripoff :)

    (a happy ex-Sky customer, who likes to point out that people could go to
    the movies several times a month or rent a dozen DVDs per month for the
    price of Sky).

    back again, Jul 14, 2003
  8. Ken

    Robert Guest

    Have a look at the Hills catalogue for wiring a house with patch panel -
    some good stuff there.
    Cat5e for phone & data. Coax and ability to run DVD, video, sky to other
    TV's in the house (modulated) plus ability to use remote controls.

    Was looking but can't afford it on existing house - will just do sky UHF &
    couple of cat5e runs.

    Robert, Jul 14, 2003
  9. Ken

    Richard Guest

    "Robert" <> wrote in message
    > Have a look at the Hills catalogue for wiring a house with patch panel -
    > some good stuff there.
    > Cat5e for phone & data. Coax and ability to run DVD, video, sky to other
    > TV's in the house (modulated) plus ability to use remote controls.
    >
    > Was looking but can't afford it on existing house - will just do sky UHF &
    > couple of cat5e runs.

    I had a look at one of those packages, Cracked up when they said they
    modulate DVD etc... Modulated will give you the quality of the RF out of a
    VCR, fine for a driveway camera or something, but no good for quality
    sources.

    If you want that, go to www.oatleyelectronics.com and buy a couple of $10
    UHF modulators, feed them the AV source and 5volts and put them into the
    input of the splitter.

    I have done this with some cameras and the results are ok, but the cables do
    pick up a bit of UHF ingress, and the diplexer isnt perfect so I had to
    work around the off air UHF crap, leaving me about 6 free channels to put
    stuff on.

    And the cat-5 gear they sell seems pretty limited. I have only cabled up
    half of downstairs and I have already maxed out a 12 port patch panel, and
    thats only 1 run to most locations rather then the recommended 2 or 3.

    Richard, Jul 15, 2003